• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
gibbon

Kebab shops - Drugs and child abuse?

With the healthy eating craze last few years and services like deliveroo/justeat creating more choice and competition old take aways like chip shops have been decimated. Most chip shops round by me closed down long ago and whenever I check the local businesses for sale I reckon a good third are chip shops.

Now what I don't get is how kebab shops are still going. I don't know a single person who eats them anymore and a lot of the younger lads/girls I've spoken to have never eaten one. Reckon it's been well over 10 years since I've even seen more than one person in one. Ok you get the one or two central ones which do well on a Fri/Sat night but there's 7 within 10 min walk of me, empty 24/7. There's even been new ones opening up. So where is their money coming from? It has to be drugs and child abuse doesn't it?

If you own a business like a kebab shop that makes fuck all can you still play the tax credits game?

Do you know how much, on average, the kebab places near you would need to pay in rent and council tax each month?

I'd guess there must be enough drunk people pass by during the week to make it worthwhile, with the addition of tax credits/housing benefit ect...

Edited by JoeDavola

11 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

If you own a business like a kebab shop that makes fuck all can you still play the tax credits game?

Do you know how much, on average, the kebab places near you would need to pay in rent and council tax each month?

I'd guess there must be enough drunk people pass by during the week to make it worthwhile, with the addition of tax credits/housing benefit ect...

Add in the cost of the food itself, just had a look one of those elephant legs is around £50 and I'd imagine you would be getting close to 100 portions out of those. I'd say the profit margin on one of those would be pretty high. 

I'm not saying they are rolling in cash but I'd imagine costs are relatively low and at least where I am you are now talking £6+ for your basic Doner Kebab. 

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Money laundering (it’s mainly cash) and bennie seeking. Same for coffee shops and hairdressers. Have a look. In as you pass many seem to not have any trade. 

This is the conclusion I've come to. My little town has two turkish kebab shops and they're always empty. I'm assuming they have illegal side businesses and they're washing the cash through them.

23 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah you'd still be able to play the tax credits game but you'd still have rents which won't be covered. 

Looks like rents are about £800 p/m and doesn't look like they'd pay business rates. Add in all different bills on top must easily be talking £1,200 outgoings. That's a lot of kebab just to break-even for places which are constantly empty.

27 minutes ago, One percent said:

Money laundering (it’s mainly cash) and bennie seeking. Same for coffee shops and hairdressers. Have a look. In as you pass many seem to not have any trade. 

Yep. The small town where I used to live had around five chinese takeaways and three kebab shops. There certainly wasn't that level of demand and those places sat empty most days. The rent of these joints would have been stratospheric. Absolutely blatant money laundering.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Yep. The small town where I used to live had around five chinese takeaways and three kebab shops. There certainly wasn't that level of demand and those places sat empty most days. The rent of these joints would have been stratospheric. Absolutely blatant money laundering.

Are they busy at night?
We as a nation are getting fat by eating extra, perhaps you can only eat a kebab on a full belly of beer?

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Are they busy at night?
We as a nation are getting fat by eating extra, perhaps you can only eat a kebab on a full belly of beer?

Nope. I used to walk past them regularly for years, day and night. The most I saw in one of them (including weekend evenings) was three people.

This topic has got me thinking. There's a few businesses in the 'enriched' area where I work that are chronically empty - in fact the whole area is comprised of either charity shops, pharmacies, or small mysteriously empty businesses. One independent Turkish/Islamic coffee shop comes to mind which I pass twice a day and never has anyone in it.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

And yet the establishment turn a blind eye to it. It really is common knowledge that these places are fronts for money laundering. Have you also noticed the rise in barbers shops?  

Just now, JoeDavola said:

This topic has got me thinking. There's a few businesses in the 'enriched' area where I work that are chronically empty - in fact the whole area is comprised of either charity shops, pharmacies, or small mysteriously empty businesses. One independent Turkish/Islamic coffee shop comes to mind which I pass twice a day and never has anyone in it.

Just another little scam to part sap taxpayer from their money. 

Don't know about child abuse but Indian restaurants can be added to the list of mysteriously-still-going businesses. There's one near me, a former pub, has changed hands (or names) about 5 times in as many years, never see anyone in there except on a Friday night.

Pretty sure it has the same Indian owners and they are just phoenixing, however even a year is a long time to stay open.

They all employ illegals as well

Everyone with a brain who stops to think for more than 30 seconds knows these places don't make any money in a legal way

22 minutes ago, Bakez said:

They all employ illegals as well

Everyone with a brain who stops to think for more than 30 seconds knows these places don't make any money in a legal way

So why doesn't the government do something about it?  I bet if they were a chippy or brickkie doing a bit of cash in hand, they would be down on them like a ton of bricks if they caught wind of it.  

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

So why doesn't the government do something about it?  I bet if they were a chippy or brickkie doing a bit of cash in hand, they would be down on them like a ton of bricks if they caught wind of it.  

I'm guessing it's because 'cohesion'.

Remember comrade, we must diverse and cohere at the same time. We have always been at war with EastasiaEurasia...

Edited by Panther

Just now, Bakez said:

Take a guess

I think there is a long list.  How about we start it?  Here is my first one:

1. It keeps the shops open, looks much better than a swathe of empty (or even more empty) shops
Just now, Panther said:

I'm guessing it's because 'cohesion'.

Remember comrade, we must diverse and cohere at the same time. We have always been at war with Eurasia...

Good, explanation 2. Let's keep it going and see how many we get

1 hour ago, One percent said:

And yet the establishment turn a blind eye to it. It really is common knowledge that these places are fronts for money laundering. Have you also noticed the rise in barbers shops?  

Just another little scam to part sap taxpayer from their money. 

Within the last couple of years our little town has a large number of turkish barbers appear in the high street. They always appear to be empty and they are in addition to the existing hairdressers and barbers that have been there for years.

I assume they are getting cheap rent for the first year or two to fill an empty shop along with with no biz rates or heavy discount from the Council (we have a problem with empty shops that the Council are keen to fill).

So with little running costs, I think its mainly a tax credit scam, I wonder how many people are 'working' there on 16hrs? Many locals think its money laundering, which is certainly a possibility but I think more likely is tax credits (or a bit of both).

2 hours ago, One percent said:

dont forget taxis,many fast food outlets around here are for cleaning drugs income

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

dont forget taxis,many fast food outlets around here are for cleaning drugs income

We must be super dooper intelligent and observant or the government are deliberately turning a blind eye. 

2 hours ago, gibbon said:

With the healthy eating craze last few years and services like deliveroo/justeat creating more choice and competition old take aways like chip shops have been decimated. Most chip shops round by me closed down long ago and whenever I check the local businesses for sale I reckon a good third are chip shops.

Now what I don't get is how kebab shops are still going. I don't know a single person who eats them anymore and a lot of the younger lads/girls I've spoken to have never eaten one. Reckon it's been well over 10 years since I've even seen more than one person in one. Ok you get the one or two central ones which do well on a Fri/Sat night but there's 7 within 10 min walk of me, empty 24/7. There's even been new ones opening up. So where is their money coming from? It has to be drugs and child abuse doesn't it?

FishnChips just sold FishnChips .

Kebab shops provide a front for illegal migrants working cash in hand, kiddy fiddling and drug dealing/money laundering.

Actually, I don't get how many shops are hanging around in general.  The high street seems full of shops that just don't ever seem to have customers.  I just look at the costs and the customer flow and don't see how it can ever add up*.

Sure there's the Christmas effect**, but these guys are just permanently empty.

Anyway, about kebab shops -- I wouldn't discount the 'family effect' (ie, long hours and 'free' family labour can give profits where a normal shop would be massively in loss), but, yes, I think money laundering is rife.

In a way I don't blame them -- they're often coming from places where taxation is something optional and where you take advantage of opportunities as they arise.  The problem is with policing being all over the place in the UK -- they're likely to never get investigated, and, if they were, there just isn't the ease-of-proof (for HMRC) that normal shops just can't get away with.

[* eg vape shops.  They're all swanky and all, but  I just never see people in them.  The vapers seem to get supplies from markets or the internet.  Now, I don't know their margins (huge, probably), but I imagine there'll be a consolidation at some point.]

[** a good %age of shops make all their profit at Christmas -- the rest of the year is just getting by on the economic front, but you've got to hang around to get the Christmas money]

Edited by dgul

12 minutes ago, dgul said:

Actually, I don't get how many shops are hanging around in general.  The high street seems full of shops that just don't ever seem to have customers.  I just look at the costs and the customer flow and don't see how it can ever add up*.

Sure there's the Christmas effect**, but these guys are just permanently empty.

Anyway, about kebab shops -- I wouldn't discount the 'family effect' (ie, long hours and 'free' family labour can give profits where a normal shop would be massively in loss), but, yes, I think money laundering is rife.

In a way I don't blame them -- they're often coming from places where taxation is something optional and where you take advantage of opportunities as they arise.  The problem is with policing being all over the place in the UK -- they're likely to never get investigated, and, if they were, there just isn't the ease-of-proof (for HMRC) that normal shops just can't get away with.

[* eg vape shops.  They're all swanky and all, but  I just never see people in them.  The vapers seem to get supplies from markets or the internet.  Now, I don't know their margins (huge, probably), but I imagine there'll be a consolidation at some point.]

[** a good %age of shops make all their profit at Christmas -- the rest of the year is just getting by on the economic front, but you've got to hang around to get the Christmas money]

Vape shops if they offer a seating area are often busy with the same handful of people who spend most of the day in there vaping and drinking coffee. The one near me I see the same 5-6 people in there every day, the line between customer and staff is quite blurred. A bit like a lot of pubs really, the same old (alcoholic) men propped up by the bar, must make up about 25% of a pub's income particularly in "wet led" pubs, eg dives.