• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Has pinny been spending lots of money?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-45401404

An original puppet used on a children's TV show in the 1950s has sold for a record price at auction.

The Sooty glove puppet had been expected to sell for anything up to £3,000 and auctioneers said there had been "interest from around the world".

However, the toy was bought on Monday by a bidder in the room for £14,500.

The anonymous buyer said the puppet would now go to the north of England, into their "large collection of TV puppets and memorabilia".

@MrPin

Ah, I heard about the sale of Sooty & felt that I would have liked to buy him. (Childhood favourite.) But not for that price! O.o And what about Sweep?!

30 minutes ago, whocares said:

Ah, I heard about the sale of Sooty & felt that I would have liked to buy him. (Childhood favourite.) But not for that price! O.o And what about Sweep?!

Now resides on XYY’s head by the look of things

4 hours ago, One percent said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-45401404

An original puppet used on a children's TV show in the 1950s has sold for a record price at auction.

The Sooty glove puppet had been expected to sell for anything up to £3,000 and auctioneers said there had been "interest from around the world".

However, the toy was bought on Monday by a bidder in the room for £14,500.

The anonymous buyer said the puppet would now go to the north of England, into their "large collection of TV puppets and memorabilia creepy wanking gloves".

@MrPin

I heard that Corbett had hundreds of these puppets made, he got throught them at a high rate because of wear and tear and stuff being spilt on them during shows.

Presumably they were then thrown away but I doubt this puppet is unique.

9 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I heard that Corbett had hundreds of these puppets made, he got throught them at a high rate because of wear and tear and stuff being spilt on them during shows.

Presumably they were then thrown away but I doubt this puppet is unique.

My uncle was the camera on the Sooty Show when it was broadcast through Thames Television and he had a Sooty Glove puppet in a drawer somewhere so it's likely there were hundreds. 

Factoid: A lot of the outdoor filming had him pulled along on a skateboard for the right perspective.

Edited by longtomsilver

They made a new one for each show haha

---

The thing is, I might have 100 puppets. All I need to do is to sell one at auction. Then get someone one to buy it for £5K, then suddenly my whole stock is worth that kind of money.

Edited by 201p

On 04/09/2018 at 00:13, whocares said:

Sweep doesn't count as he is black. Also Soo is Chinese, so probably one of many fakes.