• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Magnet Fishing, always catch something

This could be the next big thing. Simple, line, and neodymium magnet. Pick up interesting finds, and cleans up the water. Win win!

Great idea for a youtube channel..

Throw some old metal garbage in a river along with something impressive looking (like a broken iphone)..  then film yourself retrieving them.

Perhaps I'm too cynical.. 9_9

8 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Great idea for a youtube channel..

Throw some old metal garbage in a river along with something impressive looking (like a broken iphone)..  then film yourself retrieving them.

Perhaps I'm too cynical.. 9_9

Yeah, I don't think a magnet would pick up an iPhone, they have metal backs but made from aluminium, obviously some ferrous metals inside, but prob not much.

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yeah, I don't think a magnet would pick up an iPhone, they have metal backs but made from aluminium, obviously some ferrous metals inside, but prob not much.

I haven't watched the video but neodymium magnets are incredibly strong, and I can well believe that a large one would be able to pick an iphone up if it had an iron ferrite in an inductor or similar. They're so strong that you have to be quite careful handling them, you don't want to get your fingers in between two of them!

1 hour ago, One percent said:

From the article

soil or freshwater (such as from a river, canal or lake) containing infected pee gets in your mouth, eyes or a cut

surely on the NHS site it should be ‘urine’. Or am I being too pedantic?  Welcome to dumb Britain. 

Totally. Though we should maybe just be glad they used "mouth" instead of "food hole".

After all, not everyone has a mouth, so following on from the "front hole" for vagina, maybe it should be "food hole", you know- for the sake of inclusivity and all that.

5 hours ago, Rave said:

I haven't watched the video but neodymium magnets are incredibly strong, and I can well believe that a large one would be able to pick an iphone up if it had an iron ferrite in an inductor or similar. They're so strong that you have to be quite careful handling them, you don't want to get your fingers in between two of them!

They are amazingly strong. I helped my son make a magnetic levitator for his school science project using them. It might be fun to try it in SE England as a lot of Bronze Age and Iron Age swords turn up in rivers locally. Probably just lose the magnet in reality.

7 hours ago, Byron said:

I have done this, mostly I only seem to get old nails and anonymous pieces of rusty iron.

Did find a small safe that had been opened once.

How could you tell how many times the safe had been opened?

6 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

They are amazingly strong. I helped my son make a magnetic levitator for his school science project using them. It might be fun to try it in SE England as a lot of Bronze Age and Iron Age swords turn up in rivers locally. Probably just lose the magnet in reality.

Someone's asking for a big magnet on the local freecycle

1 hour ago, Reck B said:

How could you tell how many times the safe had been opened?

Did find a small safe that had been opened, once.

Comma pedant