• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Pocket Calculator history tweet

Funny how you can get attached to things like calculators..   I still have my Casio CFX-9850 that I bought in 1997,    absolutely love it:

Casio_cfx-9850gb_plus1.PNG

Still running as a line..  albeit the new one is a bit snazzy with its colour screen:

99018..png

I had a Texas which had red display numbers. I loved it - especially that it could do hrs mins and seconds.

Still around somewhere. And an even older commodore which had to plugged in. That has (had) a green display.

7 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

When I was wee I had that Little Professor one shown in the photo.

I seem to remember it being something along the lines of:

'How does a Arab pay for his 7 jets, 10 rolls royces, 77 wives and 345 jihadis?'

26 minutes ago, Kilham said:

I seem to remember it being something along the lines of:

'How does a Arab pay for his 7 jets, 10 rolls royces, 77 wives and 345 jihadis?'

I never had such ways of remembering, the last time I did that on a calculator I must have been 9 or something.

Edited by Carl Fimble
the not he

I've been promising myself a vintage Sinclair calculator for years but I've recently found out that Commodore did a few which I also wouldn't mind getting.

I've got a HP71b that I still use regularly.  I've got boxes and boxes of 35, 67/97, 71b, etc.  I often say to myself that I should sell some.

1 hour ago, Mr Miyagi said:

I've been promising myself a vintage Sinclair calculator for years but I've recently found out that Commodore did a few which I also wouldn't mind getting.

The 'Cant get a shag ' thread is over there -------->

Hey baby. Fancy coming back to mine and looking at my vintage calculators.....

1 hour ago, dgul said:

I've got a HP71b that I still use regularly.  I've got boxes and boxes of 35, 67/97, 71b, etc.  I often say to myself that I should sell some.

I had an HP-71B but found it very, very slow. My HP-25's internal storage never worked (so I couldn't program it or do stats) and it eventually stopped working altogether. Shame. I'd like an HP-25C or HP-65.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

The 'Cant get a shag ' thread is over there -------->

Hey baby. Fancy coming back to mine and looking at my vintage calculators.....

You're alright love I'm too busy playing with my vintage gaming consoles. :Jumping:

I have a Casio Fx-19 scientific calculator on my desk I use daily. Bright gas discharge display and heavy so it doesn't skate around the desk when I use it. Circa 1975. And a testament to Casio reliability.

I used to like to read Practical Electronics every month. I was just a kid and couldn't afford to buy actual components but I used to dream about what I would build if I could get the bits. An astable multivibrator using two BC109s was the only thing I ever built and got working.

Anyway they had an eight-part series building a calculator out of discrete logic chips. About halfway through they had to announce that the whole project was now superseded because Sinclair announced a relatively small plastic portable calculator you could buy for less than the cost of the parts to build a desktop metal boxed version in the PE project. They said they would carry on printing the rest of the project every month though just for interests sake. This would be 1975 maybe and a brutal portent of the computer industry's capacity for causing disruption.

I was an early adopter with a 4 function red led "Triton" brand calculator that cost me £30 in the early 70s which I still have somewhere:

triton.jpg

That soon became superceded by a green LED Casio with more functions but chunkier and with a lousy battery life.

Which was replaced by probably the first LCD model which is still to date the most awe-inspired I ever been by technology - less than half the size, so pocketable, scientific functions and a seemingly infinite battery life - might have been an fX-80.

I learnt of this on TOS, I think. Put "HP calculator" into an ebay, search select "sold items", then order by high to low price, then be amazed.

A 1976 HP 97 could raise over £200, but calculators from the 1980s are close in price.

14 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Have Sinclair Oxford and Cambridge Calculators at home somewhere, will dig them out tonight and a Sharp PC-1246 which was basic programmable and meant I could cheat exams at college.

Here’s my Sinclair programmable, reverse Polish notation and everything!

D55437B2-93E1-43BD-A48D-8AF8CE7EAC19.jpeg

I've always been a fan, got quite a collection now. In no particular order:

Tx53-2

two Tx42's

a version 2 TxE

Casio Xc3's

A (broken) Hp 26

Hp 53

Hp 63

Three Hp46's, one with an intact spool

Hp73

Sinclair C1x in beautiful condition

Two mains Hp 12's

A Casio Mp4

and maybe three or four bin bags worth of early Texas Instruments devices and various early 80's Casios.

Not really though.