• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Asian hornet bastards

Friend of mine who kept bees (he's stopped now as he had become allergic to the stings) was involved in one of the last "outbreaks" in Gloucestershire.

They found the nest and wiped it out. 

They are present in France but the beekeepers seem to be doing alright so maybe not such a catastrophe - perhaps nicotinoids are worse?

I hope they get them all. They have so far...

There's a smartphone app called Asian Hornet Watch,which lets you log and report any sightings, should you be unlucky enough to have any...

I was in Dorset on Sunday in a pub garden being annoyed by the occasional wasp as usual. 

Suddenly this enormous uber wasp started flying around my pint. Imagine a cigarette cut into three pieces and one of the pieces painted black and yellow. Horrible fucking thing. I went indoors pronto. 

37 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Friend of mine who kept bees (he's stopped now as he had become allergic to the stings) was involved in one of the last "outbreaks" in Gloucestershire.

They are present in France but the beekeepers seem to be doing alright so maybe not such a catastrophe - perhaps nicotinoids are worse?

25% overall losses of colonies from Asian hornets in France. Comparable to this years winter losses in the UK BUT it's not an either or. You'll have winter losses and then asian hornet losses. 

In some parts of France the hornets have killed off up to 80 per cent of ... (Can't read the rest)

Jersey currently suffering badly with lots of nests being found. 

6 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I was in Dorset on Sunday in a pub garden being annoyed by the occasional wasp as usual. 

Suddenly this enormous uber wasp started flying around my pint. Imagine a cigarette cut into three pieces and one of the pieces painted black and yellow. Horrible fucking thing. I went indoors pronto. 

Image result for european hornet

European hornet I expect.

There's a fab wasp id thing on the wasp survey

Yes think you nailed it there. 

Asian or European doesn't matter to me the only one that interests me is the Fly Off Somewhere Else Hornet. 

31 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Yes think you nailed it there. 

Asian or European doesn't matter to me the only one that interests me is the Fly Off Somewhere Else Hornet. 

Ex Hornet is preferable.

It is easy to identify a European hornet really, once you've seen one you know. Not only by the size and sound of the thing but the fact they are partly red.

p15uoeoijg1mt1lt51n11fnabaq2.jpg

A far scarier looking thing is a woodwasp. Harmless though.

p16t0skd2h9qm1062gfr1jkn1v782.jpg

Husband has 2 hives of Buckfast bees here in SW France - 1st summer.

He's a 1st time beekeeper. Going well so far - loads of honey!  Keeping an eye out for hornets.

Had some hornet around in our 1st year here (pre having the bees) which were nesting in the old walnut tree by the house. Discouraged them (with some spray) then found out there are 2 types of hornets - the European (dopey) ones and the Asian (invaders, nasty) ones, and that former are protected! Oops.  Didn't check which sort we had but assume they were the European ones as we had a few inside the house and they didn't seem aggressive at all.  (None seen any since in the old tree.) 

Husband currently has some home made wasp traps beside the 2 bee hives as normal wasps seem to be trying to bother them. Traps (cola bottles cut into 2 and top half inverted with some sweet liquid as bait) are working well.  He thinks he has also caught some hornets but hard to tell which kind of hornet as it's all a bit of a 'soup' in the bottle now.

Asian ones are apparently less yellow (on the body) than the European ones.  (Checked on google.) But I would say it'w quite hard to tell unless you have one of each, side by side?! (And not very practical to check while under attacked?!)

Friend here was attacked recently by (we assume European) hornets while cutting her hedge. Her arm properly swelled up with only about 4 stings. Scary. Recommended to phone the emergency number here if attacked by hornets  ... in case of anaphylactic shock. :S 

image.thumb.png.6dc80599cd96baf6dab5db2ca6f94c1f.png

Asian hornet on right. To my eyes, the obvious difference is the much darker abdomen with the SINGLE paler band.

Edited by DocH

I was told by a pest controller that wasp traps not the best idea as you still got the untrapped ones flying round bothering you. 

What the professionals apparently do is figure out wind direction then release some sort of wasp communication pheromone or something which says "nothing of interest here don't bother coming". 

1 hour ago, whocares said:

Husband has 2 hives of Buckfast bees here in SW France - 1st summer.

Friend here was attacked recently by (we assume European) hornets while cutting her hedge. Her arm properly swelled up with only about 4 stings. Scary. Recommended to phone the emergency number here if attacked by hornets  ... in case of anaphylactic shock. :S 

It's a lovely hobby. Is he addicted yet?

People are dying from the reaction to the hornet stings. They are nasty buggers too.

Edited by sarahbell

5 hours ago, sarahbell said:

It's a lovely hobby. Is he addicted yet?

Think he has always dreamed of having bees so decided to get some now we are settled. And yes, probably addicted! Lots of money has been spent. (And he has been stung in spite of the fancy suit/smoking device.)

I just don't get the fun in it tho! (So I just let him get on with it on his own.)

Just after he had ordered the bee swarms, and was waiting for them to be in stock, sod's law decided to send us a swarm which lodged in our chimney! (Nb We will need to use that chimney in winter!)

Paid a local (pest) man (a lot) to climb up onto our roof (not for the faint hearted, no HSE here!) and dangle something down our chimney to sort of hoik out the queen if possible. He managed to do that  without falling off the roof - got a reasonable lump of a comb out and quite a few of the workers as well as the queen.  (Was quite an operation tho!)

Luckily, we already had a plastic travel hive, so they went straight in there. Then pest man took it/hem home with him saying we can't keep them in our garden as they would simply do back into the chimney. 

He came back another day (later) to seal up the chimney once they stragglers had given up in there. But he's still got our travel hive!  He said they weren't doing very well at his - probably an old queen and her swarm on the way out which escaped from a hive somewhere. Sickly. So he will keep them a bit longer to see.  (Still hoping to get the travel hive back at some point tho! 9_9)

On 04/09/2018 at 12:23, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

a more immediate concern for you in Geneva are Tiger mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus. 20 deaths this summer in the south of France.

Went to a presentation by Defra a few years ago on their emergency planning for when an Asian Hornet is found. Using remote sensing to identify potential habitats and then surveying them in a widening circle to stop spread. They also said that Asian Honeybees are able to protect themselves because they can withstand slightly higher temperatures than the Asian Hornets. They swarm round a hornet and vibrate to basicallly cook it alive. Our bees have never needed to hone those skills.

31 minutes ago, Lavalas said:

Went to a presentation by Defra a few years ago on their emergency planning for when an Asian Hornet is found. Using remote sensing to identify potential habitats and then surveying them in a widening circle to stop spread. They also said that Asian Honeybees are able to protect themselves because they can withstand slightly higher temperatures than the Asian Hornets. They swarm round a hornet and vibrate to basicallly cook it alive. Our bees have never needed to hone those skills.

There was program a while ago (prob BBC4) about Asian Hornets.IIRC it was filmed in Japan and essentially if a hornet find a bee hive she goes back to tell her mates and then the all of her mates (think the main baddies are female) return kill all the bees and plunder the hive. The asian honeybees have developed a defence where they totally cover the single scout invader (like a tea cosy) and the heat from all the bees (who can stand a higher temp) cook the hornet to kill it so it can't go back and get her mates. At the end of the season the young hornets always turn on the Queen Hornet and kill her ... which makes me think most hornets are female. Quite shakesperian really.

Edited by satch