• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

Goldfish on my lawn....

I got up this morning to the sight of a large goldfish on my backlawn. I was going to chuck the corpse in the bin when youngest daughter said 'Its still alive'. So now this 6-8 inch long pescewhatsit is swimming happily around in my watering can. None of the neighbours have a fish pond, that I know of. 

So, dosbods hive mind, what should I do with the bloody thing?

5 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I got up this morning to the sight of a large goldfish on my backlawn. I was going to chuck the corpse in the bin when youngest daughter said 'Its still alive'. So now this 6-8 inch long pescewhatsit is swimming happily around in my watering can. None of the neighbours have a fish pond, that I know of. 

Do you have a cat ?

Bird picked it up from a nearby pond. Dropped it.

Ask your neighbours if they if anyone has a garden pond in the area - could be within a half mile radius I guess.

Be careful of putting too chilling water in the can as it could have problems with the temp changes. Pour out some water in a can or bottle and leaver it out for 40 minutes or so near the watering can so the temp adjusts. Add / remove water regulary so that the water is airated.

11 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Find out where it came from. It's the more interesting puzzle, and will likely automatically provide an answer to the question posed.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Bird picked it up from a nearby pond. Dropped it.

Ask your neighbours if they if anyone has a garden pond in the area - could be within a half mile radius I guess.

Be careful of putting too chilling water in the can as it could have problems with the temp changes. Pour out some water in a can or bottle and leaver it out for 40 minutes or so near the watering can so the temp adjusts. Add / remove water regulary so that the water is airated.

Good advice....  but I needed to put it in something.

Apparently some guy nearby has a pond according to the neighbours. I might pop round there later. Seems a hell of a long way away.

And yes, two cats, one of whom spent the night in. Which would make the little 3 kg female tortie of ultimate evil the prime suspect in all this. The fish is about 1/4 of her size!

Edited by Melchett

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Find out where it came from. It's the more interesting puzzle, and will likely automatically provide an answer to the question posed.

@Melchett should be able to use Google to determine the nearest pond to his back garden.

If he posts the area here we could all play some kind of 'Where's Waldo?' game trying to find it.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

@Melchett should be able to use Google to determine the nearest pond to his back garden.

If he posts the area here we could all play some kind of 'Where's Waldo?' game trying to find it.

Good idea, Google maps will hopefully make it easy for him to see where it's likely ro have come from. Lucky he found it alive.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I tried that... no joy. Good idea if it had worked though.

1 minute ago, LC1 said:

Funny how people can see simple things so differently.

Yes, but when I read your previous post I knew exactly what you meant. If it was me I'd be wandering round my garden muttering "What the fuck, I don't have time for this shit"

You can eat pond goldfish and the origin of the fish we know today as a the goldfish was as a cultivated food fish. It's a member of the carp family, it's closest wild relative is the Prussian Carp. Carps are still a popular food fish in Asia so you could look for carp recipes of Asian origin.

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-eat-pond-goldfish

Bon appetit!

13 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yes, but when I read your previous post I knew exactly what you meant. If it was me I'd be wandering round my garden muttering "What the fuck, I don't have time for this shit"

Exactly!:D

Edited by Melchett

20 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Good advice....  but I needed to put it in something.

Apparently some guy nearby has a pond according to the neighbours. I might pop round there later. Seems a hell of a long way away.

And yes, two cats, one of whom spent the night in. Which would make the little 3 kg female tortie of ultimate evil the prime suspect in all this. The fish is about 1/4 of her size!

I was thinking you could feed it to the cat, save some money on pet food

23 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Which would make the little 3 kg female tortie of ultimate evil the prime suspect in all this. The fish is about 1/4 of her size!

Tortie could have won it at a fairground :ph34r: