• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The more I look at cryptos and their price movement over the last year the more it reminds me of some of the very well planned attacks I've seen on some stocks.  The timing of bringing out derivatives, the run up and the run down forcing lots of tax sellers yo melons like it was well planned in advance.

10 minutes ago, onlyme said:

The more I look at cryptos and their price movement over the last year the more it reminds me of some of the very well planned attacks I've seen on some stocks.  The timing of bringing out derivatives, the run up and the run down forcing lots of tax sellers yo melons like it was well planned in advance.

Of course.

The difference with crytpos is there is new money coming in. So I think if you Hodl you will be OK buying dips long term.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

I think so too. Futures should never have been allowed.

1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

Of course.

The difference with crytpos is there is new money coming in. So I think if you Hodl you will be OK buying dips long term.

Long term? I'd go with short term at best... there's very little media coverage of Bitcoin etc nowadays.

(Ie within the past 3 months, compared to before when the prices were rocketing)

Has anyone got any XMR coins here? I was just pissing about on my lunch and came across CoinHive, a javascript snippet you add to your website that mines XMR whenever there are visitors to your site, silently in their browser. Sneaky, but a great idea. I haven't tested it yet and won't be adding it on DOSBODS -  as it needs 1000s of concurrent users to make any real money xD. According to this site if you have 1000 unique users a day that's $56 or £30 a day  month? you'll be making, if I'm reading it correctly. Not much but imagine if your website had millions of visitors a month.

This seems ripe for abuse by "Russian hackers" etc, I might invest in some short-term.

To be honest I suspect it's already being done quite a lot but nobody has discovered it.

Edit: it is https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/12/massive-cryptomining-campaign-wordpress/

7 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Has anyone got any XMR coins here? I was just pissing about on my lunch and came across CoinHive, a javascript snippet you add to your website that mines XMR whenever there are visitors to your site, silently in their browser. Sneaky, but a great idea. I haven't tested it yet and won't be adding it on DOSBODS -  as it needs 1000s of concurrent users to make any real money xD. According to this site if you have 1000 unique users a day that's $56 or £30 a day  month? you'll be making, if I'm reading it correctly. Not much but imagine if your website had millions of visitors a month.

This seems ripe for abuse by "Russian hackers" etc, I might invest in some short-term.

To be honest I suspect it's already being done quite a lot but nobody has discovered it.

Edit: it is https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/12/massive-cryptomining-campaign-wordpress/

I think they must be doing something similar on TOS, its so slow compared to DBS .....

11 hours ago, Green Devil said:

I think they must be doing something similar on TOS, its so slow compared to DBS .....

xD They'd be making about 2p a month off of it. The Pirate Bay (300m/month) were making only about $15k/m apparently.

GNT is having a good run today, up 50%. I think I'm the only DOSBODer who has it, it's been really disappointing for the past year but glad I believed in it.

Not sure if I did the right thing selling my SIAcoin, time will tell.

2 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

I still can't see the point of distributed storage.

Security for dodgy data. No one can find where your dodgy data is perhaps?

1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

Security for dodgy data. No one can find where your dodgy data is perhaps?

That was a possibility I had considered, but how much demand for that is there really, that you need to go to those lengths? Encryption is pretty good now.
I'm not saying there won't be a demand, just that I personally can't foresee a tremendous need hence I'm not investing. YMMV.

Wemark however, looks very good.

3 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

That was a possibility I had considered, but how much demand for that is there really, that you need to go to those lengths? Encryption is pretty good now.
I'm not saying there won't be a demand, just that I personally can't foresee a tremendous need hence I'm not investing. YMMV.

Wemark however, looks very good.

Not saying i agreed with the concept at all, like you say, its hard to trace it anyway with current encryption.

So I'm changing tactics a little with crypto investing given how far we are from ATHs. Leaving my BTC and ETH alone, but trying some active trading with around 10% of my holdings. Choosing smaller caps that have potential to pump and setting limit sells in place that I'll review regularly, to either sell back into BTC, ETH or fiat (dependent on prices of those).

Slowly moving out of LTC as I'm not really sure what it's for any more, and it's too big to really moon now IMO. Got stakes in ACT, ELF, DBC, ICX, ITC, NANO, OCN, STRAT, TRX and XVG. Looking to add VEN and WAN.

Anyone think there's anything out there that's mostly off the radar that might pump well?

On 03/05/2018 at 16:23, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

I still can't see the point of distributed storage.

The potential is that it will rival AWS or similar but be free, and most importantly, not controlled by a US conglomerate. I've always naively belived in a free internet.

STORJ has basic FTP functions and comes bundled with FileZilla now so the potential is there.

On 10/05/2018 at 00:35, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

So I'm changing tactics a little with crypto investing given how far we are from ATHs. Leaving my BTC and ETH alone, but trying some active trading with around 10% of my holdings. Choosing smaller caps that have potential to pump and setting limit sells in place that I'll review regularly, to either sell back into BTC, ETH or fiat (dependent on prices of those).

Slowly moving out of LTC as I'm not really sure what it's for any more, and it's too big to really moon now IMO. Got stakes in ACT, ELF, DBC, ICX, ITC, NANO, OCN, STRAT, TRX and XVG. Looking to add VEN and WAN.

Anyone think there's anything out there that's mostly off the radar that might pump well?

GNT although don't think that's "off the radar" as such. Most ETH based coins are going to rocket, in my opinion, once Casper is here.

I'm planning on buying a scratch card on maidsafe coin.  It has had a team working for something like a decade on the project. I think the CEO has been featured on silicon valley the sitcom portrayed like the pied Piper or something for taking his time actually getting it running.  Anyway it's Scottish too!

On 11/05/2018 at 11:18, spunko2010 said:

GNT although don't think that's "off the radar" as such. Most ETH based coins are going to rocket, in my opinion, once Casper is here.

Why do you think it will affect ERC20 tokens ? rather than ETH itself, makes no sense to me.

59 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Why do you think it will affect ERC20 tokens ? rather than ETH itself, makes no sense to me.

Because all crypto is built on hype... 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Because all crypto is built on hype... 

But most "investors" probably dont even know or understand about how an ICO is a token on etherium, its just another ticker on the exchange, previous eth pumps and dumps have not (as far as I can tell) had an knock on effects on ICO prices, or vice versa. I see no reason for it to be different for casper. Also I'm not convinced that technical improvements make any odd to the price of a coin, for instance lightning had pretty much zero influence on BTC price and was at least a big a deal as casper.

All the price movements at the moment seem to be whales trying to bust stops and flush limit orders and nothing to do with well pretty much anything.

Edited by goldbug9999