• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
whitevanman

It's All Gone

I read this in The Mail; I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

They say they have $150k left and the rest had gone on his medical bills, trailer to sleep in and car but they ceased giving him money directly after he blew 25k on drugs in a couple of weeks.

He says he's not had anything and the lawyer says the money is all gone.

Surely it's easy to find out.

48 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Fuck them. I give the homeless a quid. Yep, sure they can go and spend it on Special Brew and if they do then who the hell am I to blame them? I have no idea what it's like to be in their shoes other than that it's pretty shit - if a can of super strength lager helps get them through the day then so what. And who's to say they aren't going to spend it on something more useful? Maybe a phone call to a hostel, to a loved one, to someone who can actually help them?

Because they're not homeless. Because they're begging and they'll be pissed up making someone's life a fucking misery.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Because they're not homeless. Because they're begging and they'll be pissed up making someone's life a fucking misery.

Oh I see. Silly me - and there was me thinking they slept in piss soaked public car park stairwells because they didn't have anywhere else to go. Instead it turns out that getting spat on, pissed on, raped and beaten up is just easier than working for a living. Well that's it then - no more of my pound coins for the sponging bastards, they can fucking well work for a living like I have to.

9_9

The homeless don't have a monopoly on being scrounging bastards. The reason I won't give them any money is because they have given up. If they don't want to care about themselves, I'm not going to do it for them.

I do give money to buskers though.

On 05/09/2018 at 16:02, Fully Detached said:

Oh I see. Silly me - and there was me thinking they slept in piss soaked public car park stairwells because they didn't have anywhere else to go. Instead it turns out that getting spat on, pissed on, raped and beaten up is just easier than working for a living. Well that's it then - no more of my pound coins for the sponging bastards, they can fucking well work for a living like I have to.

9_9

This forum is, for the most part, filled with considerate and well reasoned discussion. But sometimes, each and every one of us can be judgemental bastards.

I sincerely hope that life continues to treat you well and that you never know personal tragedy or mental health issues that lead to you falling on hard times. And if you do, hopefully you will meet someone kinder than yourself.

*Wrong comment quoted, but sentiments regarding sympathy for the misfortunate remain.

Edited by Horrified Onlooker
Clarity

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I can understand the viewpoint. We have, IIRC, about 5,000 rough sleepers in the UK.

We also have about 600,000 immigrants every year. Which we manage to house.

If we turned off the immigration tap for just 60 hours we could solve the homeless problem.

But it appears we don't want to. Or the homeless don't want to be housed. 

It is therefore reasonable to think that the solution isn't in our hands.

I believe it is more complex than simply the number of free beds. There’s a body of evidence that some rough sleeping can be a matter of choice. Albeit whether it’s a choice made by someone in a rational state of mind is a separate question.

Migration is a different question entirely. As yet, no mainstream politician will raise the issue, even if their private polls tell them that it’s a major issue for the electorate. Is this a mental health problem for our political class or has pc become so pervasive that we won’t launch lifeboats even when we see the ship is sinking?

7 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I can understand the viewpoint. We have, IIRC, about 5,000 rough sleepers in the UK.

We also have about 600,000 immigrants every year. Which we manage to house.

If we turned off the immigration tap for just 60 hours we could solve the homeless problem.

But it appears we don't want to. Or the homeless don't want to be housed. 

It is therefore reasonable to think that the solution isn't in our hands.

Look at it in those terms and the solution is obvious.

Great post.

If you gave a "normal" person a million pounds they'd probably be able to set themselves up for life ie buy a house and get an investment income.

If you gave a homeless person a million pounds he'd probably spend it on drugs...

Giving money to the homeless does not provide a long term solution...

Worked out how much I can potentially gross until I am if state retirement age and it is a surprisingly small amount when compared to winning a modest million which would be over 4 times greater.

Half that amount would see me working for an acceptable charity tomorrow.

8 hours ago, jm51 said:

The homeless don't have a monopoly on being scrounging bastards. The reason I won't give them any money is because they have given up. If they don't want to care about themselves, I'm not going to do it for them.

I do give money to buskers though.

i do the same no matter how bad they are has musciacans at least they are trying,i wont give to beggers has i often see them harrasing the old and vunrable has they walk slower

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Worked out how much I can potentially gross until I am if state retirement age and it is a surprisingly small amount when compared to winning a modest million which would be over 4 times greater.

Half that amount would see me working for an acceptable charity tomorrow.

you might struggle to find an acceptable charity.

The homeless life has its pros. When homeless myself for a while in my late teens, I was mentored by an old tramp. There's a refreshing sense of freedom to it. A life without Heelots. The price of that freedom is giving up any ambition so not for everyone.

C4 did a doc on the homeless in London. Whatever the year was, the smallest available video camera needed a small suitcase for stealth filming.

The undercover homeless guy hadn't been on the streets half a week before the do gooders latched onto him. You think people are gullible now? The narrator told the viewers that the guy had to pull away from the do gooders because he was in danger of being rescued. Stay on the streets kid or we ain't got a show! Not a peep about that in the reviews, just talk about how sad it was for the homeless. We all fell for it.

If charities were rated on how much support they actually offer, imo charities for the homeless will be up towards the top. Anybody homeless that cares to take their help and advice won't be homeless long.

Heelots:

On 07/09/2018 at 14:17, Great Guy said:

Giving money to the homeless does not provide a long term solution...

On that logic please can we cease to give away billions in foreign aid that gets siphoned/wasted/used against us that could provide useful charitable support like decent social housing, safety nets  and services for our most vulnerable (esp deprived children)

10 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

We've gone full circle now,  it's not her fault it's the overbearing controlling husband. 

If this story was true then I have to say those people donating $400k to a homeless man with a history of hard drug abuse would have been signing his death warrant. I'm not condoning the theft of the money at all but Christ how did they think it'd end? Him buying a house , ditching the drugs and living happily ever after? 

On 07/09/2018 at 07:46, Sgt Hartman said:

On the flip side, there was a similar pisshead in my small town who was utterly despised and despised for good reason.

He'd started off well enough, had three successful brothers and didn't really want for much growing up. He was a fair sized bellend in school apparently and then discovered booze which completed his full transition into a gigantic cunt. This man then made it his business to make the lives of his fellow townspeople an absolute misery in anyway he could. He trashed houses, stole, threatened tied up the police and ambulance services with his pissed antics and generally caused chaos wherever he went.

It wasn't like the bloke wasnt offered chances of redemption either, he was offered rehab, money, some people dedicated their time try and help him out and whithout fail, he threw it back in their faces. He was even given a nice house gratis. It was the house directly next door to mine and the grief this guy caused us and our street is probably better imagined than described.

While I have no doubt that some people are in need of help and compassion, some are just absolute cunts who'll take the piss at every opportunity.

The distinction needs to be made when dealing with them, otherwise you might as well take the funding and set it on fire.

Reminds me of this encounter I had with an extremely vile man in a wheelchair once,  which my friend  - who was also there - enquiried bluntly why I assumed all disabled people were nice. He had a point, some of them are bastards too. The SJWs donating to this man probably assumed he was a nice person deep down but it now transpires he's a corrupt, duplicitous crook like the rest of em. Faith in humanity restored, as they say. 

20 minutes ago, spunko said:

Reminds me of this encounter I had with an extremely vile man in a wheelchair once,  which my friend  - who was also there - enquiried bluntly why I assumed all disabled people were nice. He had a point, some of them are bastards too. The SJWs donating to this man probably assumed he was a nice person deep down but it now transpires he's a corrupt, duplicitous crook like the rest of em. Faith in humanity restored, as they say. 

It's a weird mindset we have, all disabled people are nice, all old people are like those you'd find in a Werthers Originals advert, all firemen are heroes etc.

90% of my customer base are elderly and while most of them are lovely there have been a few horrible old bastards in there too. I used to be a fireman and I can assure you that while they did a commendable job, some of them were not nice people. At all. 

I always give people the benefit of the doubt however I never assume that having a societally perceived vulnerability and being a total arsehole is mutually exclusive. What they all have in common is that they are human beings. Most are great, some are complete dicks. 

31 minutes ago, spunko said:

A few (20?) there was this old coule how arrived in town from South Yorkshire. He was OK, she was a total cunt.

Anyhow logn story short, she decided to  drive back to wherever to see her sister. After drinking 2 bottles of vodka. About 5 miles out she crashed head on into a car, killing the grand mother and at least one of her grandkids.

The pised up cunt hurt/crippled herself. At court she was trying to make a case of not going to prisons as she needed physcial therapy.

She then started cropping up at disability action groups, protesting about access and whatnot.

Cunt should have been thrown i nthe sea.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

It's a weird mindset we have, all disabled people are nice, all old people are like those you'd find in a Werthers Originals advert, all firemen are heroes etc.

90% of my customer base are elderly and while most of them are lovely there have been a few horrible old bastards in there too. I used to be a fireman and I can assure you that while they did a commendable job, some of them were not nice people. At all. 

I always give people the benefit of the doubt however I never assume that having a societally perceived vulnerability and being a total arsehole is mutually exclusive. What they all have in common is that they are human beings. Most are great, some are complete dicks. 

Its ajob where people sit around doing nothing most of the time.

Some witll accept it.

A few get resentful - 'Im here all the time, saving people lives, but I only earn 20k' etc etc. Its why you get them setting fires for the bonus, or sellign con fire alarms to OAPs.

Its bollocks as the fire service is really not needed for msot of it call outs - car crashes. You dont needa big fucking tender.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Its ajob where people sit around doing nothing most of the time.

Some witll accept it.

A few get resentful - 'Im here all the time, saving people lives, but I only earn 20k' etc etc. Its why you get them setting fires for the bonus, or sellign con fire alarms to OAPs.

Its bollocks as the fire service is really not needed for msot of it call outs - car crashes. You dont needa big fucking tender.

I used to live next door to a fireman, his secondary job was in his words ripping off old people by selling them window blinds at 5x the price... Now it makes sense