• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
gilf

Sir Roger Moore

I've recnrly read a lot of the Bond books.

All Bond films were crap. Daniel Craig has come the closest.

R4 has been doing the odd Bond dramas, based closely on the books.

30 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I've recnrly read a lot of the Bond books.

All Bond films were crap. Daniel Craig has come the closest.

R4 has been doing the odd Bond dramas, based closely on the books.

They are meant to be tongue in cheek family films though.

I saw Goldeneye at the Cinema and in the introduction after blowing up the factory (Piers Brosnan with Sean Bean as another agent) Bond races after a plane on a motorbike and races over the edge after it, jumping on the plane and gaining control. A lot of the audience burst out laughing and gave an ironic cheer.  It's what you expect and it's fun.

I agree that Craig is probably closer to the books' Bond but that doesn't automatically make for better films.

Am I right in thinking he is the first Bond actor to die? Not bad considering the franchise is 55 years old.

Not my favourite Bond but I just loved him as a chap. Seemed so suave and charming.

As Rory Bremner once said while impersonating him, "Moore and Moore they cried. Unfortunately, all I could give them was... A little Roger!"

The Bond I grew up with and thus the one I have the most affection for. Suave, classy and tongue-in-cheek. A couple of hours of escapism, which is what Bond should be about. A few really good films.

Not forgetting The Saint - Simon Templar, and The Persuaders - Brett Angel - with Tony Curtis.

RIP.

Craig in another league in terms of being something like the Bond in the books, but not really the same genre of film.

I prefer Craig but Moore's Bond was comedy, and quite funny sometimes. Can't re-watch a Moore Bond film though, way too cheesy.

When the bell tolls for our childhood heroes though, it'll soon be tolling for us... :(

14 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Craig in another league in terms of being something like the Bond in the books, but not really the same genre of film.

I prefer Craig but Moore's Bond was comedy, and quite funny sometimes. Can't re-watch a Moore Bond film though, way too cheesy.

When the bell tolls for our childhood heroes though, it'll soon be tolling for us... :(

I liked the bit in Skyfall about the exploding pen - "We don't really do that kind of thing anymore" xD

The Man who Haunted himself is one of my favourite movies. I think I was snapping matches for ages after watching it, I will never be a debonair as Roger Moore though.

4 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Am I right in thinking he is the first Bond actor to die? Not bad considering the franchise is 55 years old.

Not my favourite Bond but I just loved him as a chap. Seemed so suave and charming.

As Rory Bremner once said while impersonating him, "Moore and Moore they cried. Unfortunately, all I could give them was... A little Roger!"

Nah, Bond fans will refer you to David Niven - who was the third actor to play James Bond and first on film.

Barry Nelson was the first actor to play Bond and then Bob "May I have a P please?" Holness.

In order of death:

David Niven

Barry Nelson

Bob Holness

Roger Moore

Apparently Connery is very ill.

4 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

And one suave gentleman

Didn't he admit a few years back that he was a bit of a selfish swine most of his life. IIIRC he had a car accident or some illness and it was like a road to Damascus experience for him?

Yes, he had loads of affairs, told one wife he was divorcing her via the telephone, loads of fights in his various marriages.

4 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

The Bond I grew up with and thus the one I have the most affection for. Suave, classy and tongue-in-cheek. A couple of hours of escapism, which is what Bond should be about. A few really good films.

Not forgetting The Saint - Simon Templar, and The Persuaders - Brett Sinclair Angel - with Tony Curtis.

RIP.

Brett Sinclair you idiot!

I went to see his "An Evening With Roger Moore" a couple of years ago where he spoke about his life and career.

He was a true Gentleman and was thoroughly entertaining,he also talked at length about his work with UNICEF.

A great humanitarian and a proper English Gent.