• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

It's great oop north.

200 cities in the world have Mobike. Only in Manchester have they had to withdraw due to losing 10% of the bikes per month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-45422065

Bike sharing firm Mobike is to pull out of Manchester after losing 10% of its cycles each month to theft and vandalism.

The Chinese firm said too many had been stolen, dumped in canals and bins, had locks hacked off or been set on fire.

Manchester has become the only city among 200 worldwide to lose the service because of persistent crime.

Mobike said it had already "processed refunds" and would start removing its fleet imminently from the city streets.

Mobike General Manager Jan Van der Ven said the company was "very grateful" to the city, which was the first in Europe to adopt the scheme last July.

'Throwing rocks'

However, he said: "As a private company, we have a duty to ensure our revenues cover our costs since, unlike some operators, we do not use taxpayer money to help balance our books.

"Unfortunately the circumstances in Manchester have not made this possible."

He added: "We have all learnt valuable lessons that will help cities continue to make urban life more sustainable, more active and more healthy through cycling."

Greater Manchester cycling commissioner and former Tour de France rider Chris Boardman said: "This is disappointing news and an outcome that we've been preparing for.

"Anti-social behaviour is not a problem unique to Manchester, it has been encountered in other UK cities and other bike operators have found ways to deal with it."

A Mobike hanging from a lamp-post in BerlinImage copyrightREUTERS Image captionVandalism has proven a problem worldwide, as this photograph from Berlin shows

The scheme operates along similar lines to London's "Boris bikes", with users paying a deposit to join the scheme and then a rate according to how long they use them.

Unlike other cycle hire schemes, there are no fixed docking stations with users encouraged to "park responsibly" within the scheme's operating zone.

Mobike had insisted its bikes were theft and vandal-proof but Greater Manchester Police received 17 reports in the first 10 days of the scheme.

A gang in Ancoats, east Manchester, was filmed throwing rocks at a bike, trying to destroy it, while thieves would break locks and disable electronic tracking systems.

In April the firm announced a price hike from 50p to 69p per half-hour in a bid to counter the damage.

Mobike said it would conduct "a full review of its time in Manchester".

The company said it would continue to operate in London, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Oxford and Cambridge.

It had warned it could also withdraw from Newcastle but said the "threat to leave has gone" after a review.

"We're keen to sit down with the police and city council and try to work up a new plan to run things more effectively," a spokesman said.

"We know the parts of the river where the bikes get thrown into; we have our truck driving down by the river twice a day."

Analysis

By Tom Mullen, BBC News

Mobike's distinctive orange-rimmed cycles had become a familiar sight in Manchester, and the scheme was well-used.

I clocked up more than 79 miles (128km) on the bikes, which I found handy for whizzing to the gym or shops, or even all the way to work.

But the bikes were obviously an easy target for vandals. The sight of stray bikes dumped by canals, broken or even set on fire was becoming more and more common.

To combat this, Mobike began to shrink its operating area and ramp up fines for people who abused the service. But today's decision shows the company's losses had simply become unsustainable.

With Mobike operating successfully in 200 cities around world, people are wondering why it couldn't work here. It's certainly not a great advert for Manchester.

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

That Britain is more civilised than it is?

That everyone has a high paying job, paying rents and mortgages happily. 

hmm! Check that unemployment rate!

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

Our police numbers are also very low. You go to China and there's a police box on every major street corner.

Enough Dr Who talk. Please. ;)

6 minutes ago, 201p said:

That everyone has a high paying job, paying rents and mortgages happily. 

hmm! Check that unemployment rate!

OK, but being unemployed is not an excuse for behaving like an antisocial cunt. It's cultural. Now that Geneva is (mainly) no longer Swiss, bike vandalism is fairly rife here too, if you leave it in the street overnight. 

5 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

We had some 'Ofo' bikes in our 'fine city' and at least one ended up in the River Wensum. >:(

Wonder if they could get a scissor lift out.

Maybe they should have rebranded in Manchester.... call them Mongbike or something. Ha ha

Its a shame. I came across these in Oxford. Obviously a slightly different clientelle there and they were all well looked after and parked responsibly in useful places (i.e not in the Thames!). The price seemed to be very reasonable and I almost signed up but the app was asking for various personal details etc so I decided to walk instead.

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Manchester is full of oirish.

Pennines keep them out of Yorkshire.

Apparently they're also considering pulling out of Newcastle, and I can't imagine things would go much better in Sunderland or Boro.  (yes I know not Yorkshire but east of Pennines) Didn't the Paddies originally come to build ships and railways mainly? So the old shipbuilding towns are all pikified.

9 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Apparently they're also considering pulling out of Newcastle, and I can't imagine things would go much better in Sunderland or Boro.  (yes I know not Yorkshire but east of Pennines) Didn't the Paddies originally come to build ships and railways mainly? So the old shipbuilding towns are all pikified.

No. Not ships. They need skills.

Canals and railway engineering just needs a load of dumb pickaxe swingers.

Canals! Naviagators.

Then railways.

Yes, the old railway towns are pikified.

Darlo being the best example.

Swindon too.

Reading more respectable oirish.

That is really quite depressing to be honest. Just goes to show how third world we are in inner city metropolitan England. Zero respect or morality. If it ain't nailed down, nicked for scrap or joy rode for 10 mins then in the canal...

Aye same thing happens here in Belfast with the new cycle share thingy...people chucking the bikes in the river and smashing up the docking stations.

A third of all of the bikes have either been stolen or put out of action by vandals:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39657199

I think the Belfast one is tax payer subsidized. No way could a company turn a profit due to the cunts going about wrecking stuff. Same in most UK cities I'd imagine. Give people something nice and they'll wreck it.

Edited by JoeDavola

3 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

OK, but being unemployed is not an excuse for behaving like an antisocial cunt. It's cultural. Now that Geneva is (mainly) no longer Swiss, bike vandalism is fairly rife here too, if you leave it in the street overnight. 

Is Geneva enriched? I expected the Swiss to keep that kind of thing in check. 

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Is Geneva enriched? I expected the Swiss to keep that kind of thing in check. 

It's very Latin (I'm including the French in that).

Percentage of original Swiss descendants is low. It's still way better than Brit cities or French ones, but it's not like a "real" Swiss city. The systems and the rule of law are still strong, that holds it together very well and is the key, but the culture of most of the inhabitants makes it different. The worst lot here, surprise surprise, are an Islamic culture - the Kosovars. Their enemies the Serbs who are non-Islamic are no better though.

Depressing.

Just spent 4 days in Madrid. Mobikes, other bike schemes, electric car share, mopeds and even electric scooters all over the city and being used responsibly. 

Smashing things up helps with the dodgy GDP figures - on the quiet the authorities and business cronies like it - replace and repair.

Edited by twocents

We can embrace enrichment etc as part of a litany of excuses along with pikies, social deprivation, absent fathers, lack of community cohesion and the weather. Fundamentally, the thieving fuckwit element in Manchester has beaten Mobike’s business model. 

Let’s not forget this the next time we are discussing life expectancy in the NW versus other parts of the UK. A healthy, reasonably priced means of transportation has been driven out of the city, and has there been any meaningful debate at local level?

’Don’t look back in anger’ my arse!

10 hours ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

We can embrace enrichment etc as part of a litany of excuses along with pikies, social deprivation, absent fathers, lack of community cohesion and the weather. Fundamentally, the thieving fuckwit element in Manchester has beaten Mobike’s business model. 

Let’s not forget this the next time we are discussing life expectancy in the NW versus other parts of the UK. A healthy, reasonably priced means of transportation has been driven out of the city, and has there been any meaningful debate at local level?

’Don’t look back in anger’ my arse!

The Bees, The Bees - that will save the silly cunts from the muzzers..