• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Sunday 8pm Channel - Battle Of Britain RC model Aircraft

Set your VHS or Betamax recorders - something good is on TV!

About the programme

As part of the RAF's centenary, model aircraft enthusiasts from Britain and Germany recreate the Battle of Britain in miniature, to understand and commemorate the pilots

Untitled.jpg.fc1ca129ea86e2cfbd6d074313b7a8b3.jpg

2.jpg.ea5949021460090ce4f125f7857effe6.jpg

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/battle-of-britain-model-squadron

---

C4 and Love Productions recreate Battle of Britain like never before

21 MAY 2018NEWS RELEASES

Churchill called it ‘Our Finest Hour’. Now as part of the RAF’s centenary, the Battle of Britain is going to be brought to life as the nation’s top model airplane pilots gather together to recreate the days that changed history, in a new three=part series Battle of Britain: Model Squadron (w/t).

This summer the skies will be filled with the buzz of model Spitfires and Hurricanes as Britain’s elite modellers recreate dive bombing, aerial encounters and dog fights above the south coast. They will uncover the strategy, tactics and history of those key moments of the summer of 1940 when the future of the country hung in the balance.

They will be joined in this epic endeavour by pilots from Germany - which has one of the biggest model aircraft communities in the world – who are bringing Messerschmitts: Bf 109 and 110, Heinkel 111 and Stuka dive bombers to Britain. The skills of British and German model flyers will be pitted against each other. By unpicking the complexities of the greatest aerial engagements in military history they will shed fresh understanding on the skills of the pilots of 1940.

Taking three iconic days from the Summer of 1940 as inspiration, the model aircraft enthusiasts will push themselves and their miniature flying machines to the limit to commemorate the sacrifices of the past and celebrate the bravery of the ‘few’. 

Sara Ramsden, Executive Producer at Love Productions said: ‘The average age of a Battle of Britain pilot in 1940 was 20 years old. I hope we can bring the story of their achievement to a whole new generation of younger TV viewers. Their stories will be illustrated by the many young modellers of the same age that are coming to take part in this audacious TV experiment.’

Rob Coldstream, Commissioning Editor at Channel 4 said: ‘It’s thrilling to be bringing this iconic and important story back to life for a new generation. These aircraft are truly spectacular and thanks to innovative camera technology viewers will be able to experience the battle for themselves in a way that’s entirely new.’

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-and-love-productions-recreate-battle-of-britain-like-never-before

1 hour ago, 201p said:

Set your VHS or Betamax recorders - something good is on TV!

About the programme

As part of the RAF's centenary, model aircraft enthusiasts from Britain and Germany recreate the Battle of Britain in miniature, to understand and commemorate the pilots

Untitled.jpg.fc1ca129ea86e2cfbd6d074313b7a8b3.jpg

2.jpg.ea5949021460090ce4f125f7857effe6.jpg

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/battle-of-britain-model-squadron

---

C4 and Love Productions recreate Battle of Britain like never before

21 MAY 2018NEWS RELEASES

Churchill called it ‘Our Finest Hour’. Now as part of the RAF’s centenary, the Battle of Britain is going to be brought to life as the nation’s top model airplane pilots gather together to recreate the days that changed history, in a new three=part series Battle of Britain: Model Squadron (w/t).

This summer the skies will be filled with the buzz of model Spitfires and Hurricanes as Britain’s elite modellers recreate dive bombing, aerial encounters and dog fights above the south coast. They will uncover the strategy, tactics and history of those key moments of the summer of 1940 when the future of the country hung in the balance.

They will be joined in this epic endeavour by pilots from Germany - which has one of the biggest model aircraft communities in the world – who are bringing Messerschmitts: Bf 109 and 110, Heinkel 111 and Stuka dive bombers to Britain. The skills of British and German model flyers will be pitted against each other. By unpicking the complexities of the greatest aerial engagements in military history they will shed fresh understanding on the skills of the pilots of 1940.

Taking three iconic days from the Summer of 1940 as inspiration, the model aircraft enthusiasts will push themselves and their miniature flying machines to the limit to commemorate the sacrifices of the past and celebrate the bravery of the ‘few’. 

Sara Ramsden, Executive Producer at Love Productions said: ‘The average age of a Battle of Britain pilot in 1940 was 20 years old. I hope we can bring the story of their achievement to a whole new generation of younger TV viewers. Their stories will be illustrated by the many young modellers of the same age that are coming to take part in this audacious TV experiment.’

Rob Coldstream, Commissioning Editor at Channel 4 said: ‘It’s thrilling to be bringing this iconic and important story back to life for a new generation. These aircraft are truly spectacular and thanks to innovative camera technology viewers will be able to experience the battle for themselves in a way that’s entirely new.’

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-and-love-productions-recreate-battle-of-britain-like-never-before

He's dead now, but  in the 70s I knew a model RC plane enthusiast who made superb replicas, but Red Baron Era. He ran a RC club and they used to put on shows in the summer for holiday-makers. The planes had dog fights with smoke canisters etc and as they flew over the crowd the planes' bomb bays opened and released tubes of smarties on parachutes - all for free.

51 minutes ago, dgul said:

And this is what we've become -- commemorations of guys with guts and their sacrifice by introverted dweebs and their toys.

I agree with you but it's not so easy for us when our enemy is our own puppet governments controlled by a cabal of globalists/marxists. Least they had a clear enemy back then.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

And this is what we've become -- commemorations of guys with guts and their sacrifice by introverted dweebs and their toys.

It's Robot Wars - In the sky!

Reluctant to pour cold water on anything where people are getting out building stuff and doing things but the RC modellers I've met have been pretty dull and nerdy.

14 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I agree with you but it's not so easy for us when our enemy is our own puppet governments controlled by a cabal of globalists/marxists. Least they had a clear enemy back then.

I find it hard to trust the official version on anything these days. The fact that without the Second World War there'd be no EU and snippets like this do trouble me the real enemy then may have been no less unclear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21859771

I remember watching the Great Naval Battles renacted at Peasholm Park in Scarborough in the 1970s using 20 foot long manned replicas of the ships.

Apparently the performances are still going on and have been since 1927.

As a kid in the 1970s I thought it was amazing.

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I remember watching the Great Naval Battles renacted at Peasholm Park in Scarborough in the 1970s using 20 foot long manned replicas of the ships.

That was very similar to the dog fights I described above. The RC modelers had a great enthusiasm for putting on a show. The biplanes were large, beautifully crafted and the dogfights were aggressive with 5 or 6 planes in the air and they were appreciated by parents and they amazed the children, the tubes of smarties on parachutes and the boiled sweets were a stroke of genius. Complicated in its way, but simple fun and I'd go back there in the blink of an eye.

Edited by Hopeful

6 hours ago, Libspero said:

Oddly enough I expect pilots who flew and died would have quite liked to be remembered in this way.

Having a model aircraft back then was every child's dream..  and the pilots themselves probably made and flew model planes as kids.  

A bit like train spotters are now seen as a bit sad,   back in the day trains were things of wonder and excitement. 

Well, probably.  I was just being grumpy because of Ryanair.  Should have flown Norwegian.

9 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Just what I was thinking of.  Went there on holiday once around the mid 70's and thought it was fantastic

On 05/09/2018 at 22:02, Chewing Grass said:

Yes I used to go as a kid in the 70’s too, but the “enemy submarine”was a U-boat and the enemy battleship was referred to as the Graf Spee. 

On 05/09/2018 at 22:02, Chewing Grass said:

I went to watch it every year. Great. I think it’s finished now?  Also did the treetop walk round the island in the middle after dark. Tacky as hell but as a kid, magical. 

@spygirl did you used to go too? 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

I went to watch it every year. Great. I think it’s finished now?  Also did the treetop walk round the island in the middle after dark. Tacky as hell but as a kid, magical. 

@spygirl did you used to go too? 

I did.

Aetplanes on wire, boats shooting.

Still going. We went last year.

Im actually watching the prog. Bizzarre.

English v germans. And tgey have germans too.

Anyone wanting to guess which side Cuntbyns rooting for?

On 05/09/2018 at 21:05, Hopeful said:

He's dead now, but  in the 70s I knew a model RC plane enthusiast who made superb replicas, but Red Baron Era. He ran a RC club and they used to put on shows in the summer for holiday-makers. The planes had dog fights with smoke canisters etc and as they flew over the crowd the planes' bomb bays opened and released tubes of smarties on parachutes - all for free.

Yeah. I remember going to a show like that.

Im nit sure but it may have been green howards open day, late 70s.

I was enjoying the planes then they openen up and dropped choccies out.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I did.

Aetplanes on wire, boats shooting.

Still going. We went last year.

Im actually watching the prog. Bizzarre.

English v germans. And tgey have germans too.

Anyone wanting to guess which side Cuntbyns rooting for?

I thought it finished years ago. I never took the kids. I’ll see if they want to go next year. Mind, two girls, now in their 20s, I doubt it. Shame. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I thought it finished years ago. I never took the kids. I’ll see if they want to go next year. Mind, two girls, now in their 20s, I doubt it. Shame. 

Tell them therell be boys - works with my niece.

Jyst dint tell them they are under 10 or over 40....

On 05/09/2018 at 21:05, Hopeful said:

You might think it is all quaint and fun, but scaled up those Nazi Luftsüßwaren Smarties were about 8  feet across. They wreaked havoc in London Docklands in 1941.

Just now, Happy Renting said:

You might think it is all quaint and fun, but scaled up those Nazi Luftsüßwaren Smarties were about 8  feet across. They wreaked havoc in London Docklands in 1941.

You nutter!

3 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

You only just noticed?

Well, no, obviously, but that effort was pleasingly surreal even by your standards.