• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Scouring the world to enable us to continue to undermine your wages

I just heard this punted on the radio news. I couldn’t believe my fucking ears. Just “OI!!! NO!!!” On so many levels, many of which you have already given, 1%.

Why in Christ's name would you issue temporary visas for minimum wage jobs for people from Bumfuck, Asia?

How do you make sure they get back on the plane afterwards, considering how stellar we've been at that in the past?

This has multiple levels of grief written all over it.

11 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Why in Christ's name would you issue temporary visas for minimum wage jobs for people from Bumfuck, Asia?

How do you make sure they get back on the plane afterwards, considering how stellar we've been at that in the past?

And how the fuck are they going to afford the flights either way every six months on the "surplus" disposable income from a minimum wage job? Unless they are a. Not planning on going back and b. Have some other income, aka the poor sap taxpayer subbing the farmer with bennies.

Make the recruiter responsible if they don’t go back? Fines for those who don’t?

This isn’t quite as simple as all that - if they pay a wage to attract locals, then fruit from cheaper places will have to have an import tariff placed on it to keep the fruit price high enough so that the Brit fruit remains competitive. Or the farmers will have to receive massive subsidies. 

As sgt hartman says, given the record of overstayers, subsidies would probably be cheaper. Robots are being developed which will help in time. 

There’s a cultural issue here, there needs to be a campaign to buy British produce that is harvested by either robot or Brit labour.

21 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

You have a system in place whee the emplopyee - farmer in this case- is in on the hook for 20k.

If his cheap worker does not check out then farmer has to pay the fine.

The easier way to solve this is to lover  the UK tariffs for farm produce ...

9 minutes ago, Melchett said:

And how the fuck are they going to afford the flights either way every six months on the "surplus" disposable income from a minimum wage job? Unless they are a. Not planning on going back and b. Have some other income, aka the poor sap taxpayer subbing the farmer with bennies.

Famers get vaswt subs for owning land.

Then their workers have tax credits subs to work o nthem.

Fuck em.

Remoe tariffs.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Make the recruiter responsible if they don’t go back? Fines for those who don’t?

This isn’t quite as simple as all that - if they pay a wage to attract locals, then fruit from cheaper places will have to have an import tariff placed on it to keep the fruit price high enough so that the Brit fruit remains competitive. Or the farmers will have to receive massive subsidies. 

As sgt hartman says, given the record of overstayers, subsidies would probably be cheaper. Robots are being developed which will help in time. 

There’s a cultural issue here, there needs to be a campaign to buy British produce that is harvested by either robot or Brit labour.

And tomorrow those same ministers will be discussing why wages and productivity are not rising. Corbyn will be banging about austerity being the cause of low pay for workers and as usual ignoring the real causes.

I would prefer the subsidies as a lesser evil. Farmers are already massively subbed.

As much as possible I vote with my feet and where I spend my cash, although often there is not much choice, I do what I can.

Apparently there are a lot of South African farmers who have expertise and would likely be very eager to take a break from the goings on in that country - are they going to be given a chance.

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Crash house prices so that a family can live comfortably on one average salary.

Wash your mouth (well, keyboard) out! High house prices are good - read the media!

8 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I'm still none the wiser as to why it's necessary to keep land owners in healthy profits when they choose to run uneconomic businesses. Are strawberries a strategic industry vital for national security or something. Fucks sake!

Now we're getting into really tricky territory. It probably is a national security issue to have land producing food, but strawberries, well maybe not. Are we going to only subsidise farmers who produce staples?

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Now we're getting into really tricky territory. It probably is a national security issue to have land producing food, but strawberries, well maybe not. Are we going to only subsidise farmers who produce staples?

Surely if we wanted to do something to increase agricultural production, we would want to subsidise whatever produces most calories per acre per annum in any given area. I doubt that would be fruit farms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/in-defense-of-corn-the-worlds-most-important-food-crop/2015/07/12/78d86530-25a8-11e5-b77f-eb13a215f593_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bd9c757ff0ca

Calories matter because every last one of us needs about 1 million of them each year. They certainly aren’t the only thing we need; we also need vitamins and minerals, fats and protein. But if we don’t have those 1 million calories, other needs fade into the background. There’s not much point in talking about phytonutrients if people are starving.

In the calorie department, corn is king. In 2014, average yield in the United States was 171 bushels per acre. (And the world record is an astonishing 503 bushels, set by a farmer in Valdosta, Ga.) Each bushel weighs 56 pounds and each pound of corn yields about 1,566 calories. That means corn averages roughly 15 million calories per acre. (Again, I’m talking about field corn, a.k.a. dent corn, which is dried before processing. Sweet corn and popcorn are different varieties, grown for much more limited uses, and have lower yields.) If you had taken our 2014 corn harvest of 14.2 billion bushels and used it to feed people, it would have met 17 percent of the entire world’s caloric needs.

By contrast, wheat comes in at about 4 million calories per acre, soy at 6 million. Rice is also very high-yielding, at 11 million, and potatoes are one of the few crops that can rival corn: They also yield about 15 million (although record corn yields are much higher than record potato yields). Other vegetables, while much more nutritious than corn, wheat or potatoes, are far less energy-dense. Broccoli yields about 2.5 million calories per acre, and spinach is under 2 million. We all need those vegetables, but we get our full day’s worth of nutrition from them in a fraction of the 2,000 daily calories we need to get by, leaving plenty of room for inexpensive, easily grown calories that aren’t as nutrient-dense.

15 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Surely if we wanted to do something to increase agricultural production, we would want to subsidise whatever produces most calories per acre per annum in any given area. I doubt that would be fruit farms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/in-defense-of-corn-the-worlds-most-important-food-crop/2015/07/12/78d86530-25a8-11e5-b77f-eb13a215f593_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bd9c757ff0ca

Brought to you by the US corn lobby ....

Potato yield a higher calories per acre than corn.

There's so much bullshit regarding farming that its hard to get to the true facts.

Plenty of young people in the UK doing nothing useful.

Close all the "studies" and humanities etc departments at "universities" and get them working in the fields.

Will probably be the only valuable contribution to society those idiots will ever make.

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

There's so much bullshit regarding farming that its hard to get to the true facts.

Well it said potatoes and corn were roughly equivalent. I imagine there will be different optimal crops for different soil types, elevations, drainages etc. 

Regardless, if we are concerned about maintaining a local food supply for some potential future national crisis, then that should actually be an argument against propping up labour intensive, low yielding agricultural ventures like fruit farms.

13 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Weren't they using it for ethanol production anyway? Bastards.

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Well it said potatoes and corn were roughly equivalent. I imagine there will be different optimal crops for different soil types, elevations, drainages etc. 

Regardless, if we are concerned about maintaining a local food supply for some potential future national crisis, then that should actually be an argument against propping up labour intensive, low yielding agricultural ventures like fruit farms.

Yeah this is a legitimate argument IMO but I doubt if the UK farmers would see it that way!

I wonder how many will actually do this sort of work and where from. I've met a couple of Belarussian fellows who work on the farms around here....never once have i seen a 'person of colour' working the land though...this despite about half the 'Portugese' who have been coming over since the mid 1990s are actually angolan or Mozambiquan and apparently can get here due to Portugese commonwealth status. 

I get the impression a lot of these africans and asians think this is below them...that once they get here they'll get a plum office job, BMW 3 series, blonde girlfriend and a nice apartment in a city centre. Slipping around knee deep in mud with your back arched over for 12 hours or so isnt what they have in mind. 

Course, I could be being stereotypical here. Just seems strange that despite a massive increase in non-white as well as Eastern European immigration over the last 20 years, i've yet to see a single non-white farm worker.

My guess is they'll mostly end up being Ukrainian/Belarussian. Perhaps Mexican, they seem to be the preferred variety in the US. 

1 hour ago, Fischer said:

Plenty of young people in the UK doing nothing useful.

Close all the "studies" and humanities etc departments at "universities" and get them working in the fields.

Will probably be the only valuable contribution to society those idiots will ever make.

About 80,000 in prison too.

Give them a choice. 24 hours in pitch black solitary, or 8 hours on a prison farm, £2 ph for your trouble. 

If only someone had devised a way to keep workers and their families living on their farm, to work for free. They could be punished if they tried to leave etc, so as not to affect local services such as healthcare. There could be a market where the farmers could sell the employees to each other....