• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, price upto £20

I am too old to play video games, but out of interest I saw that this 9 year old game is trending on ebay. You couldn't give this game away, a few years ago I believe it was 50p in shops, and CEX had stacks of them. Now it is about £20 second hand!

One reason is that the new games are crap according to this video. Whether it is down to politics, dumbing down, over engineering the new games etc. I don't know. But yeah don't throw away old things.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.6645a8f7c8b49d670f5abe93d79ca09c.jpg

Edited by 201p

Money is definitely heading the other direction, as seen by the evidence of the demand in the secondary market. - developers must be a little nervous. It's not going to their new games.

4 minutes ago, 201p said:

I am too old to play video games, but out of interest I saw that this 9 year old game is trending on ebay. You couldn't give this game away, a few years ago I believe it was 50p in shops, and CEX had stacks of them. Now it is about £20 second hand!

One reason is that the new games are crap according to this video. Whether it is down to politics, dumbing down, over engineering the new games etc. I don't know. But yeah don't throw away old things.

Maybe for different reasons, I've seen a similar thing with old bikes and bike gear. About fifteen years ago I tried flogging my old steel racing bikes on eBay. No takers with no reserves. I threw away the old woolly clothes and leather shoes.

ive seen an identical bike to one of mine go on eBay for 800 quid recently, and the old clothes are now also changing hands for a fortune. Although in the case of bikes it's not so much the new stuff is crap, it's more the invasion of the hipsters and other people seeking a retro experience.

Games are just another medium where SJW attitudes are filtering in. Shame really, as there has always been a lot of strong female characters in games but I think the target audience will resist, as has happened with the Disney take over of Star Wars. 

I think I have found the answer to the franchises abrupt mess up - it looks like the series has gone backwards. It looks like my assumptions were right!

Edited by 201p

I keep telling my son, gameplay trumps technology.  If the game is better to play it is a better game -- fancy stuff like ultra-realism aren't going to help if the game is actually worse to play.

[He assumes the next release will be better than the previous release.  He's started to notice that sometimes the new features actually get in the way.]

When that game came out you paid £40 and you had the game.

Today, you buy a game for £50 but you have to earn good weapons by playing it every day for long hours in order to get your kill score up. Or you can pay another £50 to get all the weapons unlocked.

They do the same with skins such as camouflage clothing, helmets, etc.

Then there are the maps. You have to pay for the maps as the game only comes with a few basic ones. You have to buy any good ones that come out and often the gameplay is dire.

So that £50 game can easily cost you £150 to £200 to play it. Worse, the allure of these games fades rapidly, often peaking the first month a game is released as more and more people just buy the basic game, play it for a month and then are refusing to buy into all the stuff above.

The games makers have screwed themselves by being greedy.

Edit:

Oh, forgot to say - you need stupidly expensive PC's to play these games today. Often the console versions are just no-where the same quality as the PC version.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Gaming was my main hobby when I was a child. I'm still into gaming history - pretty much 1990 to 2000, and enjoy watching YouTube channels that cover that period - there's some great content out there.

I was talking to another gamer the same age as me who I grew up with and I pointed out how much change happened in that decade....from NES at the start of the decade to Dreamcast at the end...he even made the point that in a 6 year period on the PC...1992 to 1998, we went from Wolfenstein 3D to Half Life....amazing isn't it?

About 15 years ago you couldn't give away retro games, i.e. 80's/90's stuff, but now the folk who grew up with that stuff are in their 30's and 40's with disposable incomes and have become 'collectors', so the prices have shot right up. I don't mind as I have a Rasberry Pi with a 64 gig image on it which is basically a gaming museum in a box.

I haven't really followed gaming about 15+ years....basically when I was about 18 I stopped being interested in games and started being interested in guitars. I've played a handful of games over that period e.g. Far Cry 1 and 2.... last game I played was a couple of summers ago in work I played through the Brutal Doom mod which was brilliant fun (but essentially a mod of a 25 year old game!). It does seem like the last 10/15 years has been one COD/GTA/FIFA sequel after another. Compare that to the innovation that happened between say 1985 and 2000....

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

So that £50 game can easily cost you £150 to £200 to play it. Worse, the allure of these games fades rapidly, often peaking the first month a game is released as more and more people just buy the basic game, play it for a month and then are refusing to buy into all the stuff above.

Fuck, really? I had no idea the in game purchases had become that expensive. (I've never played a game that requires an in game purchase, that's how out of touch I am)...

Edited by JoeDavola

The major factor for the deterioration of games is because the developers and publishers have been driven by profit. They're taking the piss these days. Simply as that. They've removed difficulty where they can and inserted pay to win and micro-transactions models. Remember when DLC/extra maps where free? Call of Duty was the beginning of the end on that front. Activision started this crap. You can throw in the recent SJW stuff for the icing on the cake, but the demise started back on the x360/PS3. The problem is there are still plenty who will sit in front of the console, grind away and throw money at games they've already splashed out on.

Yep, they have killed the golden goose.

I was going to buy a new console 2 years ago when a Battlefield game came out. But I thought I would leave it about 6 weeks to gegta better bundle price. I did not buy because 6 weeks after release the numbers playing it had already begun to drop. It was considered the best game of that year.

That are websites that monitor how long people play a new game before stopping - it has dropped from months to mere weeks.

I still play games quite regularly.

The quality of a lot of them has dropped off a cliff, this pretty much ties in with the change in the business model of most games. I.e. 40 -50 quid for the game then multiple DLC's at 10 quid minimum a pop. 

Basically the big game studios are following the mobile phone game method of marketing which is a bag of shit frankly. The games look spectacular, cinematic even, but the gameplay is very shallow and they feel very perfunctory. It's all about the money and you can tell.

A good example is Halo. The first couple of them were classics. The franchise was then sold on to a bigger studio which made it glossier and dumber at the same time. The latest one was absolute crap.

There are still some great ones out there, the Dark Souls series and the Witcher game are good examples but they are getting few and far between.

Edit :- what @Admiral Pepe said.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Basically the big game studios are following the mobile phone game method of marketing which is a bag of shit frankly. The games look spectacular, cinematic even, but the gameplay is very shallow and they feel very perfunctory.

I played a COD game on the 360 several years back, and it seemed too 'on rails' for my liking...by that I mean it seemed like you were having your hand held throughout the game....run over here...shoot these people....now run over here...shoot these ones. It felt more like an interactive movie than a game.

For example, my favorite first person shooter in the mid 90's was Terminator Future Shock (video below)...you had the freedom to explore a post-apocalyptic city, it was genuinely creepy and getting lost in the city for a while just added to the atmosphere:

13 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

That are websites that monitor how long people play a new game before stopping - it has dropped from months to mere weeks.

This is one of the reasons I can't play 80% of modern shooters, by the time I get around to hearing about the game and buying it, no one online is playing it. So many of them have piss poor or none existent single player modes they are not worth playing.

What happened to AI controlled skirmish modes? I remember back in school playing Quake MP with various different bots of differing skill levels, and Battlefield 1942 later on (this game, along with the Desertstorm mod were fantastic, even if half my time was spent trolling bots). AI should be pretty good now for these modes - what happened?

Only modern things I've played in the last few years are GTA5, various Sniper Elites and Farcry3/4/5 (late to the party on 3/4 so played them last year). Really enjoyed them all but I'm very selective about the ones I'll buy...

Edited by Cosmic Apple

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I still play games quite regularly.

The quality of a lot of them has dropped off a cliff, this pretty much ties in with the change in the business model of most games. I.e. 40 -50 quid for the game then multiple DLC's at 10 quid minimum a pop. 

Basically the big game studios are following the mobile phone game method of marketing which is a bag of shit frankly. The games look spectacular, cinematic even, but the gameplay is very shallow and they feel very perfunctory. It's all about the money and you can tell.

A good example is Halo. The first couple of them were classics. The franchise was then sold on to a bigger studio which made it glossier and dumber at the same time. The latest one was absolute crap.

There are still some great ones out there, the Dark Souls series and the Witcher game are good examples but they are getting few and far between.

Edit :- what @Admiral Pepe said.

Loved Halo 2 and 3. The online competitive side of it just kept me coming back for more. The games these day have lost that spark. The challenge coming from trying to rank up through skill rather than time played.

There was a team of modders that recently modded a PC Halo version that was only going to be released in Russia but got canned. They did it to Halo 3 standards and when it was released the numbers were insane. M$ and the Halo developers put a cease on desist on it. They probably shat themselves when they realised the appetite for the old style games is out there.

I play a fair bit on an X-box. The latest Tomb Raider was great, Supreme Commander 2 wasn’t anywhere near as good as the original from 15 (?) years ago, Overwatch is great fun, as is Fortnite, Far Cry 4 is brilliant, the last Assassins creed was so bad I can’t even recall it’s tag line name.

Mixed bag, same as it ever was. 

The ability to so easily play with friends online with full VOIP support, has really revolutionised the experience for my kids. Quite often i’ll say to my 9 year old shall we invite “Billy” over to play, and he’ll say, “can I just play with him on the x-box instead?”

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Fuck knows.

Edit: Elite Dangerous is phenomenal, but far too much of a time suck for a married man with kids.

Edited by Hail the Tripod

26 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Gaming was my main hobby when I was a child. I'm still into gaming history - pretty much 1990 to 2000, and enjoy watching YouTube channels that cover that period - there's some great content out there.

I was talking to another gamer the same age as me who I grew up with and I pointed out how much change happened in that decade....from NES at the start of the decade to Dreamcast at the end...he even made the point that in a 6 year period on the PC...1992 to 1998, we went from Wolfenstein 3D to Half Life....amazing isn't it?

About 15 years ago you couldn't give away retro games, i.e. 80's/90's stuff, but now the folk who grew up with that stuff are in their 30's and 40's with disposable incomes and have become 'collectors', so the prices have shot right up. I don't mind as I have a Rasberry Pi with a 64 gig image on it which is basically a gaming museum in a box.

I haven't really followed gaming about 15+ years....basically when I was about 18 I stopped being interested in games and started being interested in guitars. I've played a handful of games over that period e.g. Far Cry 1 and 2.... last game I played was a couple of summers ago in work I played through the Brutal Doom mod which was brilliant fun (but essentially a mod of a 25 year old game!). It does seem like the last 10/15 years has been one COD sequel after another. Compare that to the innovation that happened between say 1985 and 2000....

Fuck, really? I had no idea the in game purchases had become that expensive. (I've never played a game that requires an in game purchase, that's how out of touch I am)...

By the time I was in my mid teens, I had pretty much every console available.  Remember the CD32, 3DO or Neo Geo? I used to buy & sell consoles & games, and do OK out of it.  Five years later, I barely touched any....I have played the odd modern game, but I'm no longer a fanatic... I've got a PS3 under my TV, that I haven't touched for years (well, actually I got a second hand copy of Gran Turismo about three years ago).  I think I just got bored on playing the same game with overly fancy graphics engines, but with poor gameplay.  I also got sick of the developers constantly rehashing the same old shit games for each new console that came out.  For me, I'd rather play Goldeneye on the N64 or Mario Kart on the SNES.  Not on an emulator mind! For me, it has to be on the actual machine.

I remember when Virtua Racing came out on the Megadrive.  It was £70.  I think that was the same price for Super Street Fighter II on the SNES.  Some of the Neo Geo games could easily weigh in at £250.  The mid 90s were heady days for gaming..

Edited by Dave Beans

I have been gaming since that ascii one where the really nasty un-get-riddable opponent was the insurance salesman.

I am not against modern games as such but tell you what I fucking hate Steam. Time was I bought a game at the computer fair and played it until I had enough. Now it's endless fuckery with my "steam account" which only lets me play if I follow its rules. Love CS:GO but I am pretty rubbish so only ever play against local bots, but for a while when I lived in a no-Internet apartment steam shut me down for not authenticating to it for too long. Many other annoyances such as endlessly watching it update itself when I want to actually play. 

Edited by Funn3r
Spellng

If you buy a game the day it comes out and flog it within a month you can recoup a good half of what you spent on it.

As most games come out in Oct to Nov the market is flooded with new games then. So people buy, sell, buy something else.

The main thing is screwing people for cash re what I wrote above. More people just get the basic game, play it not stop for a few weeks and sell the game. 

It appears that it's only the XBOX360  version of MW2 that's worth money, the PS3 version is still worth sod all. Apparently it's backwards compatible with the XBOX One (I guess by simply allowing you to download a new verion if you have the original disc?).

Cheers, though, I'll keep my eyes peeled next time I'm in Cash Converters :) .

26 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I haven't really followed gaming about 15+ years....basically when I was about 18 I stopped being interested in games and started being interested in guitars. I've played a handful of games over that period e.g. Far Cry 1 and 2.... last game I played was a couple of summers ago in work I played through the Brutal Doom mod which was brilliant fun (but essentially a mod of a 25 year old game!). It does seem like the last 10/15 years has been one COD/GTA/FIFA sequel after another. Compare that to the innovation that happened between say 1985 and 2000....

The GTA games are still great fun. Have you played any of the recent ones?

I basically buy a new PlayStation when I need to upgrade to play the next GTA game.

xD

2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

The GTA games are still great fun. Have you played any of the recent ones?

I basically buy a new PlayStation when I need to upgrade to play the next GTA game.

xD

My last PC was bought(built) for GTA5. Didn't use it for much else taxing for 18months after getting GTA5 :)

Oh I stopped playing GTA5 after I farmed 1,000,000 in 'Online' to buy the chopper and crashed it on my first outing :CryBaby:

Edited by Cosmic Apple

There are still some very good niche games being made. I rarely play these days but Citi Skylines is still being developed and cost me £20 or so. On the simulation side Digital Combat Simulator and iRacing are very good. The problem is expense scales up quite quickly with them due to their pricing models and equipment costs.

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

This is one of the reasons I can't play 80% of modern shooters, by the time I get around to hearing about the game and buying it, no one online is playing it. So many of them have piss poor or none existent single player modes they are not worth playing.

What happened to AI controlled skirmish modes? I remember back in school playing Quake MP with various different bots of differing skill levels, and Battlefield 1942 later on. AI should be pretty good now for these modes - what happened?

Only modern things I've played in the last few years are GTA5, various Sniper Elites and Farcry3/4/5 (late to the party on 3/4 so played them last year). Really enjoyed them all but I'm very selective about the ones I'll buy...

GTA5 was the last major published game I bought. Really liked it and it's a shame they never brought out additional single player expansions. The online side has made them so much cash they've not needed to bother. Such a shame.

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

If you buy a game the day it comes out and flog it within a month you can recoup a good half of what you spent on it.

As most games come out in Oct to Nov the market is flooded with new games then. So people buy, sell, buy something else.

The main thing is screwing people for cash re what I wrote above. More people just get the basic game, play it not stop for a few weeks and sell the game. 

Developers of course, don't like the second hand market.  It means that they can't sell a new game every time.   This is perhaps why they are pushing towards download services, such as Steam. 

Nintendo it seems are at it... https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/nintendo-kills-nintendo-switch-pre-owned-games-to-combat-piracy-report-1871021  all "to prevent piracy"..

I can't do modern gaming as the games are so complex and long they need huge amounts of time invested, which I just don't have. However, if you're trying to recapture the sheer wonder of 80s/90s gaming of your youth, it's in VR. Makes me feel like a kid again.