• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
gibbon

Need Thin Magnetic Plate

Got one of those magnetic car phone holders where you slip/stick a thin magnetic plate on/in your phone/phone case which then attaches to another magnet in the air vent.

Lost my phone (and so also the plate) the other week. Ordered a replacement plate off ebay but as usual the seller hasn't come through. Is there anything cheap I can buy off the shelves in a supermarket or on the high street which is thin and a strong magnet?

Is there such a thing*?  I'd have thought it would be a magnet on the vent and a simple ferrous metal plate on the phone -- just try gluing a thin bit of steel to the back of a cheap case (or even just place it between case and phone, if there's enough space).

[* what I mean is -- where is the magnetic flux going?  It doesn't actually make sense.  Makes more sense to have a horseshoe type magnet (won't look like one, but where there's N & S poles next to each other) and allow the flux to go through the ferrous metal plate, thus holding in place.]

Edited by dgul

13 minutes ago, dgul said:

Is there such a thing*?  I'd have thought it would be a magnet on the vent and a simple ferrous metal plate on the phone -- just try gluing a thin bit of steel to the back of a cheap case (or even just place it between case and phone, if there's enough space).

[* what I mean is -- where is the magnetic flux going?  It doesn't actually make sense.  Makes more sense to have a horseshoe type magnet (won't look like one, but where there's N & S poles next to each other) and allow the flux to go through the ferrous metal plate, thus holding in place.]

Ah you're right I assumed for some reason both were magnetic, it's just the air vent holder which is. I'll just cut up a old food tin then, unless there's anything which will create a stronger pull?

Edited by gibbon

6 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Ah you're right I assumed for some reason both were magnetic, it's just the air vent holder which is. I'll just cut up a old food tin then, unless there's anything which will create a stronger pull?

cable tie it thru the vent.

4 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

cable tie it thru the vent.

Shall I gaffer tape it on as well just to be sure?

20 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Buy a learner driver L plate and cut it up? They are made from thin flexible magnetic stuff. 

That's a good idea, but I was being a tard thinking I'd need two magnets. Need to go back to school

42 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Got one of those magnetic car phone holders where you slip/stick a thin magnetic plate on/in your phone/phone case which then attaches to another magnet in the air vent.

Lost my phone (and so also the plate) the other week. Ordered a replacement plate off ebay but as usual the seller hasn't come through. Is there anything cheap I can buy off the shelves in a supermarket or on the high street which is thin and a strong magnet?

Poundland are now selling magnet attachments & plates. Can't remember the price but it was cheap.

simply drill a hole straight thru the phone and slip a large bold thru it and use a winged nut somehow held at the back of the vent, or for convenience glue the screw backwards in the vent and put the wing nut drivers side for 'hot' plugability' of said phone.

free shipping, may take weeks tho.

https://www.gearbest.com/car-gadgets/pp_184747.html?wid=1433363&currency=GBP&vip=14981816&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrJ-lmKym3QIVFDPTCh0A4gnVEAkYAiABEgI5jfD_BwE

8 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

If all else fails modern 2p pieces are made of steel. Epoxy one to the back of the phone.

So they are. Anything non-permanent I can use to stick one to the back of my phone instead of epoxy, only had the thing a week. 

18 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Poundland are now selling magnet attachments & plates. Can't remember the price but it was cheap.

Cheers will take a look

6 minutes ago, gibbon said:

So they are. Anything non-permanent I can use to stick one to the back of my phone instead of epoxy, only had the thing a week. 

Get a poundstore case and glue it to that.  Otherwise you're in the land of 'anything non-permanent will fall off at an inconvenient point'.

But all that said, I'd just get one of those cheap 'sprung shut clamp' type holders -- I'd actually get one of them and attach that to the car (the cable ties through vent will work well).

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

Get a poundstore case and glue it to that.  Otherwise you're in the land of 'anything non-permanent will fall off at an inconvenient point'.

But all that said, I'd just get one of those cheap 'sprung shut clamp' type holders -- I'd actually get one of them and attach that to the car (the cable ties through vent will work well).

Good call on the poundstore case and glue will see if they got anything which fits. 

Those clamp type holders are nothing but a pain in the arse.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

Cheers will take a look

Hot melt glue would do it, and be removable if you changed your mind. 

1 hour ago, Happy Renting said:

Might they have been a pound?