• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Electric Mountain Bikes

Anecdotally, I was walking up my local (steep) hill yesterday and an electric bike flew past me and the guy was not even breaking a sweat!  It was a Specialized (my go to brand) and as I'm regularly out and about on mine (18 mile round trip to the shops on an old rockhopper comp) would this open doors for me... I.e. trips upto 70miles (once a week) with a charge in between. 

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/11765/2018-men-s-turbo-levo-fsr-6fattie-29/

I don't like racers as I like to take shortcuts through fields. Would only consider spending £3,500-£4,250 (or less when they discount) as it'd pay for itself in fuel and car wear and tear savings. 

8 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

True 😭 wondering if it's feasible for an alternative to racers (and for doing distance) going house to house only.

It will be a good bike. 

My main issue  would be that it will be set up in UK spec where the motor will not power you beyond 25 km/h (15.5 mph).

You can probably get around this, but -- I guess not really legal. 

On a bike, 15.5 mph feels a lot slower than 18+ mph.

Still, it would be a big help uphill +250 W.

Try one would be best.

I am about to buy a new bike - about £350 - from Tredz as they have a 0% deal on and a sale until Sunday. Just a bike to go shopping as my seatpost broke this week. Been spending so much every few months I could have bought a new bike by now.

Those electric bikes are tempting. They fly past me on the numerous hills near me. But are expensive and seem to be getting more expensive. You really need to know what you want, wait for a sale and just go for it. No hesitation as plenty of others will be looking for the same bike.

I talked with a guy this summer who got a 3K specialized for 1.5K last Sept. The interesting thing he said is that cycling is fun again now as he uses the electric bike for shopping leaving a pedal bike for having fun on. I had not thought of it in that way.

24 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'd be too worried about it being pinched.

I spoke with a couple last summer who had 2 3.5K each bikes stolen from their garage. Silly sods were seen wheeling them in and that was that. They had them insured so got replacements. They were later told by police that they caught the thieves who had sold them for £50 each to get drugs. Never recovered them.

The guys I know who have electric bikes carry several locks with them and have huge locks in their garages / homes so that they are locked inside at night.

I've tried the neighbour's eBike.  It's fun but I still prefer the challenge (and the fitness benefits) of riding under my own power.  Maybe in ten years I'll think differently.

32 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'd be too worried about it being pinched.

Old biddy over Oldham way had hers taken off her while she was out on a ride, 72 year old for gods sake.

Mine was nicked from my garage, convinced it was someone who knew I had one as they took only the bikes + the ebike charger.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I spoke with a couple last summer who had 2 3.5K each bikes stolen from their garage. Silly sods were seen wheeling them in and that was that. They had them insured so got replacements. They were later told by police that they caught the thieves who had sold them for £50 each to get drugs. Never recovered them.

The guys I know who have electric bikes carry several locks with them and have huge locks in their garages / homes so that they are locked inside at night.

I don't have an E-bike but still do road racing, and have a pretty expensive bike. I have an anchor point bolted into my garage floor, which is pretty much the best I can do.

Edited by Transistor Man

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

My motorbike is secured to a ground anchor with a thick chain, locked in a garage and alarmed. Still wouldn't surprise me if it got nicked.

4 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

I've tried the neighbour's eBike.  It's fun but I still prefer the challenge (and the fitness benefits) of riding under my own power.  Maybe in ten years I'll think differently.

My eBike was a gateway to doing it properly... when it got nicked I took the money and ran :)

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I was passed on the road the other day (in my car) by a bloke on an electric bike.

My speedo said 56km/h!

Supposedly the bikes in CH are assisted up to 45kmh, I reckon some people are tweaking them.

15mph here... but my Chinese DIY kit one would assist up to about 22mph. Just told it I had 16" wheels :)

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

My motorbike is secured to a ground anchor with a thick chain, locked in a garage and alarmed. Still wouldn't surprise me if it got nicked.

Me neither. But pedal-bike-wise, it  would be more difficult than taking someone else's. I hope

Edited by Transistor Man

Folks, can I do a bit of hijacking here? I am thinking of getting this Marin but am wondering about this Giant as my shopping / general cycling bike?

Would put a rack on the back for my pannier bag. I have lots of hills to go up so weight is a concern, hence I am leaning towards the Marin with the V-brakes as opposed to the extra weight of the Giant discs.

Would welcome thoughts.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Marin-Fairfax-SC-2-2018-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_109970.htm

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Escape-2-Disc-2019-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_200579.htm

7 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I was passed on the road the other day (in my car) by a bloke on an electric bike.

My speedo said 56km/h!

Supposedly the bikes in CH are assisted up to 45kmh, I reckon some people are tweaking them.

I get zoomed past going up hills by people in their 70's on electric bikes. On the flat some of them are very dangerous as they seem to have no inkling of how fast they go or what would happen when they hit someone. Quite a few are quite arrogant using their speed as a means to hit make people get out of the way.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Folks, can I do a bit of hijacking here? I am thinking of getting this Marin but am wondering about this Giant as my shopping / general cycling bike?

Would put a rack on the back for my pannier bag. I have lots of hills to go up so weight is a concern, hence I am leaning towards the Marin with the V-brakes as opposed to the extra weight of the Giant discs.

Would welcome thoughts.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Marin-Fairfax-SC-2-2018-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_109970.htm

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Escape-2-Disc-2019-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_200579.htm

Do love my discs in traffic on those wet morning/nights, especially as I can go for 5 miles without touching them until someone pulls out on me. If you're an all weather guy in traffic I'd go discs... weight can be overcome by getting better, smashing in to a car can't be overcome unless you can become spiderman :)

1 minute ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Do love my discs in traffic on those wet morning/nights, especially as I can go for 5 miles without touching them until someone pulls out on me. If you're an all weather guy in traffic I'd go discs... weight can be overcome by getting better, smashing in to a car can't be overcome unless you can become spiderman :)

Thanks.

Never had discs. I do cycle a lot in the rain but then have the issues of longer stopping, brake pads getting wet and falling apart, gunk on the wheel rims that goes all over the bike.

But my concerns about the discs are:

1. Weight.

2. Whether cycling regularly - daily - in winter conditions will mean that the discs and pads will get just as dirty, wet and oily from crud on UK roads hence shortening the life of the disc pads.

3. Disc pads a lot more expensive than V-rim brake pads - bit worried that I could end up spending a small fortune on disc pads every winter.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Thanks.

Never had discs. I do cycle a lot in the rain but then have the issues of longer stopping, brake pads getting wet and falling apart, gunk on the wheel rims that goes all over the bike.

1. Weight.

2. Whether cycling regularly - daily - in winter conditions will mean that the discs and pads will get just as dirty, wet and oily from crud on UK roads hence shortening the life of the disc pads.

3. Disc pads a lot more expensive than V-rim brake pads - bit worried that I could end up spending a small fortune on disc pads every winter.

I've got discs on my mountain bike but I've got rim brakes on all my other bikes.  If the V-brakes are set up properly there should be no problem with stopping as quickly as with discs.  I commute 10 miles a day in all weathers and I've only fitted one new set of pads to my rim brakes in the last 10,000 miles.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Thanks.

1. Weight.

My 19kg eBike had 10+ year old Giant disc brakes (it was a Frankenbike). Did 2 winters on it when I rode 2-3 times a week, even in snow and I cleaned it a half dozen times. Never occurred to my that I'd need to buy new brake pads at any point :P

2 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Anecdotally, I was walking up my local (steep) hill yesterday and an electric bike flew past me and the guy was not even breaking a sweat!  It was a Specialized (my go to brand) and as I'm regularly out and about on mine (18 mile round trip to the shops on an old rockhopper comp) would this open doors for me... I.e. trips upto 70miles (once a week) with a charge in between. 

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/11765/2018-men-s-turbo-levo-fsr-6fattie-29/

I don't like racers as I like to take shortcuts through fields. Would only consider spending £3,500-£4,250 (or less when they discount) as it'd pay for itself in fuel and car wear and tear savings. 

There's some very nice Haibilkes of various specs on the market second hand, here's one fattie.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haibike-Fatsix-Fatbike-E-bike-Xduro-Trails-Dirt-Sand-Snow-GPS-Bluetooth-Sat-nav/273441612325?hash=item3faa63e225:g:M80AAOSwiVFbkOVg

image.thumb.png.29ebad584b079e6a8e08f604cd90a7ff.png