• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Right..

So I got bored the other day and somewhat impulsively purchased an Amazon Firestick and put Kodi on it.

Anyone else have it?   What do you do with it?

I have a lot of box sets that I ripped ages ago..  but the firestick has no capacity so presumably I'd need some kind of network drive for this. Can anyone recommend a good one or good way of doing this?

Are there any good apps worth downloading for it?

Any advice appreciated..   

Libs

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

watch whatever i want on it normaly,ie latest films shared.i also use it for netflix ie someone elses account and i often watch stuff from youtube via it.

Usually run Netflix and Youtube from Chromecast,  just seems easier.

What apps do you run ?

6 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Yes kodi has windows network capability, you can mount a shared drive on your computer or a NAS drive.

NAS drives look quite dear..   I'll have to spend an evening googling Home Networking for Windows 10   :)

just asked her she said just a build she got off youtube,not much use is she lol.it auto updates.but apparently there are dozens of builds.there are two on mine and ive had no problems geting the latest films .will look at by build later had no problem with buffering either but ive got a good internet conection.

NAS drives aren't that expensive. However there's then a differentiation between "just a disk drive that runs on a network" and a RAID array which supports putting in multiple disk drives and having the contents mirrored/striped between them with the idea being that if one drive fails you can recover from that.

Such things are fairly pointless if you have cloud backups of your content. Not least because if the entire unit fails (as in the RAID controller itself) you may not be able to recover anything - at the very least the whole thing will go offline - or if it catches fire, or it's stolen you'll lose the lot without said cloud backup anyway.

The RAID array boxes are more expensive and buying cheap ones is a false economy. About the only real justification is if you want to be able to continue seamlessly in the event of the failure of one drive. Such as is used on web and database servers at data centres for exactly that reason. And you still take offsite backups of the contents anyway. What it does is minimise or eradicate downtime in the event of disk failure. If it's that important to you that something you're watching (or more importantly recording) is never, ever interrupted in the still relatively rare event that a drive fails.

If you can't have cloud backups, like here (we have a 4G home connection which does not have unlimited data usage) then a second hard drive somewhere else in the house for backups at the very least provides some protection against the loss of your files.

18 minutes ago, DTMark said:

NAS drives aren't that expensive. However there's then a differentiation between "just a disk drive that runs on a network" and a RAID array which supports putting in multiple disk drives and having the contents mirrored/striped between them with the idea being that if one drive fails you can recover from that.

Such things are fairly pointless if you have cloud backups of your content. Not least because if the entire unit fails (as in the RAID controller itself) you may not be able to recover anything - at the very least the whole thing will go offline - or if it catches fire, or it's stolen you'll lose the lot without said cloud backup anyway.

The RAID array boxes are more expensive and buying cheap ones is a false economy. About the only real justification is if you want to be able to continue seamlessly in the event of the failure of one drive. Such as is used on web and database servers at data centres for exactly that reason. And you still take offsite backups of the contents anyway. What it does is minimise or eradicate downtime in the event of disk failure. If it's that important to you that something you're watching (or more importantly recording) is never, ever interrupted in the still relatively rare event that a drive fails.

If you can't have cloud backups, like here (we have a 4G home connection which does not have unlimited data usage) then a second hard drive somewhere else in the house for backups at the very least provides some protection against the loss of your files.

That's way I don't and have never used a NAS drive. You are better off finding an old computer and installing Unraid or  FreeNAS on it - Unraid is software based and uses a Parity disk so can recover from total hardware failure by just buying another computer.

When HP used to so the £100 mini servers (prices seem to have increased somewhat over the past year) it was a no-brainer option nowadays what you need will depend on your needs - my server is 64gb, 30TB, 16 cores, 14 drives and runs multiple Dockers (for media stuff) and VMs for work related stuff...

Can you get emulators for Kodi? EG to replicate another EPG like Sky. I don't like the interface although I see it's improved a lot since I last fired up my Kodi box.

If not, I think someone should make one. The Sky Q interface could easily be ripped I guess.

9 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Can you get emulators for Kodi? EG to replicate another EPG like Sky. I don't like the interface although I see it's improved a lot since I last fired up my Kodi box.

If not, I think someone should make one. The Sky Q interface could easily be ripped I guess.

I'm far more a plex user (it just works on my samsung tv) but a quick google gives me https://kodi.tv/addon/skins/titan and it's the skins that control the look and feel...

Edited by eek

10 hours ago, DTMark said:

Thanks Mark,   Backup isn’t my primary aim,  I still have the original box sets in a worst case scenario..  I just find DVDs a bit of a faff and I like the idea of being able turn on the Kodi/TV and just browse an episode of something I fancy.

NAS drives seem to be about £150 ish.  My concern isn’t so much the cost (although it seems a little steep for a hard drive in a box),  it’s more if I buy it then waste £150 because I haven’t got a clue how to set up / troubleshoot the network.  Unlike all you IT guys,  servers and networks are all things I’ve heard of,  but have no idea how they function..   imagine like you were talking to someone in a sales department.. :o;)

On 11/09/2018 at 19:59, Libspero said:

Thanks Mark,   Backup isn’t my primary aim,  I still have the original box sets in a worst case scenario..  I just find DVDs a bit of a faff and I like the idea of being able turn on the Kodi/TV and just browse an episode of something I fancy.

NAS drives seem to be about £150 ish.  My concern isn’t so much the cost (although it seems a little steep for a hard drive in a box),  it’s more if I buy it then waste £150 because I haven’t got a clue how to set up / troubleshoot the network.  Unlike all you IT guys,  servers and networks are all things I’ve heard of,  but have no idea how they function..   imagine like you were talking to someone in a sales department.. :o;)

I made my own NAS using an old Dell computer I bought from ebay, an additional large (2TB) hard drive and Openmediavault software (free).

I quite enjoy tinkering with old computers and I appreciate that this might not be to everyone's taste, however we now have a solid family server which stores all our files, streams music/films etc. I didn't use RAID as I run semi-automated backups frequently and store some of the backups offsite (my parents house!).

Total cost <£50 (plus storage drive)

On 14/09/2018 at 22:06, InLikeFlynn said:

I made my own NAS using an old Dell computer I bought from ebay, an additional large (2TB) hard drive and Openmediavault software (free).

I quite enjoy tinkering with old computers and I appreciate that this might not be to everyone's taste, however we now have a solid family server which stores all our files, streams music/films etc. I didn't use RAID as I run semi-automated backups frequently and store some of the backups offsite (my parents house!).

Total cost <£50 (plus storage drive)

Did the same bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre M58P, cost £30 on ebay. Stuck in a 1TB disk and installed Centos and Plex. 

However another possibility, my Talktalk router has a USB port which allows you to add a hard drive and connect it on the network as a NAS, super easy to set up from what I remember.