• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

Sloe Gin

Recommended Posts

Just a heads up..   saw a blackthorn bristling with sloes this week,   time to get picking this weekend if you're a sloe gin enthusiast.  If you've never tried it,  now's a good time to start..  and have a bottle ready for Christmas by the fire. :Passusabeer:

Not exactly rocket science but everything you need to know about how to make it is here:

http://www.sloe.biz

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a damson tree in the garden and should have gone and checked how the fruit is doing today but it's pissing it down.
I've only got two jars left for making jam so looking likely damson vodka is in order. :-D
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest using vodka. Gin is too expensive (Aldi's £14 /litre was the best I could find), and the sloes add some astrigency, so the juniper of gin is redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make sloe cordial - essentially, just lacking the gin. You can then add it to any alcohol you like at the time of drinking.

Here's a recipe

Also - sloe and apple jelly (crab apples preferably - but this year the sloes were ready about 4 weeks before the apples) - superb with duck, lamb, lambs' hearts, goose, hare, or good sausages.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, spunko said:

Going to give this a go, but the recipe here: http://www.sloe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=178

...curiously doesn't mention stoning them...? Do you just leave the stones in then? O.o Or do you sieve it before drinking or something.

"There's no biz like sloe.biz..." xD

You sieve it right at the end; you don't leave the sloes in either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone suggested a needle felting multi-needle thing for stabbing them with. I just cut the damsons in half and threw them in. I am a lazy mare though. The damsons will go in a crumble with a lot of apple when it's ready. Which reminds me I must go and shake it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty sure I saw some sloes at the weekend, but that site above suggests it's normally around November when you see them, and they need to be bletched/vernalised or whatever they call it, eg allowed to rot slightly in frosts. Anyone know if that's right or should I get picking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although interestingly "Daddy Sloe" is saying that his sloes are ready now in the W Midlands.

http://www.sloe.biz/pip/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=4326&sid=2edc93c43e4807da93f1e59d7092d142#p4326

Bonus: SJW makes sloe gin.

http://www.theotherandyhamilton.com/2012/09/11/sloe-gin-and-the-shameful-history-of-britain/

However, looking at sloe gin’s history it may not be the twee, country drink it first appears to be. The existence of every ingredient in sloe gin involves some of the most shameful aspects of British History.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, spunko said:

I am pretty sure I saw some sloes at the weekend, but that site above suggests it's normally around November when you see them, and they need to be bletched/vernalised or whatever they call it, eg allowed to rot slightly in frosts. Anyone know if that's right or should I get picking?

We've had them around for months, much early than usual (actually a bush on the drive so notice them more than most), first frost the other day so definitely ready to pick if not already on the turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2018 at 19:48, onlyme said:

We've had them around for months, much early than usual (actually a bush on the drive so notice them more than most), first frost the other day so definitely ready to pick if not already on the turn.

Been looking everywhere but think I've missed them. Never trust everything you read on the internet,  November my arse :Old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2018 at 08:06, Hopeful said:

I make sloe cordial - essentially, just lacking the gin. You can then add it to any alcohol you like at the time of drinking.

Here's a recipe

Also - sloe and apple jelly (crab apples preferably - but this year the sloes were ready about 4 weeks before the apples) - superb with duck, lamb, lambs' hearts, goose, hare, or good sausages.

What the feck is the point of that?  o.O

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

Been looking everywhere but think I've missed them. Never trust everything you read on the internet,  November my arse :Old:

You need to know where to look. They are not everywhere. Start in the spring and look for May blossom. Go back to the same spot in the winter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, One percent said:

What the feck is the point of that?  o.O

You need to know where to look. They are not everywhere. Start in the spring and look for May blossom. Go back to the same spot in the winter. 

I had a blackthorn bush in my garden when i moved in but cut it down as I didn't want it hurting the dog :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2018 at 12:35, spunko said:

Although interestingly "Daddy Sloe" is saying that his sloes are ready now in the W Midlands.

http://www.sloe.biz/pip/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=4326&sid=2edc93c43e4807da93f1e59d7092d142#p4326

Bonus: SJW makes sloe gin.

http://www.theotherandyhamilton.com/2012/09/11/sloe-gin-and-the-shameful-history-of-britain/

However, looking at sloe gin’s history it may not be the twee, country drink it first appears to be. The existence of every ingredient in sloe gin involves some of the most shameful aspects of British History.

There are no shameful aspects of British history. Wash your mouth out, and stand facing the assembly hall clock until Michaelmass.:Old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackthorn is everywhere, it's a mainstay of the British hedge. The funny thing is it seems to be very patchy in terms of flowering or fruit set, by which I mean that a very small proportion of the blackthorn round me seems to bear fruit in any year.  I've no idea why this is the case (frost damage to the blossom, inadequate pollination) but it's very striking.

There are also bullaces and wild plums which make equally good gin, all members of the same genus.

I like my sloe gin 5 - 10 years old, but you need to make lots initially to get the stock levels up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.