• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
shindigger

Central Heating upgrade.

I'm getting quotes in for a new boiler / filter/ controller.

Worcester Bosch being pushed with a ten year warranty. Seems decent as long as boiler is serviced and filter cleaned annually.

I'm just quizzical on the controllers. A Comfort 2 Worcester unit is about £215 and a Hive is currently £135 at Screwfix, which obviously offers remote access

Have any of you lived with a Hive and how is it for easy overides for a 84 year old pensioner?

Do the boiler controls provide an override. Any monthly sub for this cos im jiggered if ill be giving British Gas a bean.

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Worcester Bosch being pushed with a ten year warranty. Seems decent as long as boiler is serviced and filter cleaned annually.

I'm just quizzical on the controllers. A Comfort 2 Worcester unit is about £215 and a Hive is currently £135 at Screwfix, which obviously offers remote access

Have any of you lived with a Hive and how is it for easy overides for a 84 year old pensioner?

Do the boiler controls provide an override. Any monthly sub for this cos im jiggered if ill be giving British Gas a bean.

Cheers.

iirc you only get the 10 year worcester warranty if you use a worcester controller, anything else and it's a 7 year warranty.

Just now, snaga said:

iirc you only get the 10 year worcester warranty if you use a worcester controller, anything else and it's a 7 year warranty.

That's worth knowing. I've been quoted £55 for an

annual service, which didn't seem bad. 

1 minute ago, shindigger said:

That's worth knowing. I've been quoted £55 for an

annual service, which didn't seem bad. 

Be interested to know whether you are going for a combi or traditional boiler.  I need a new one too and people seem to be trying to push a combi but my experience of these (from 20 odd years ago) is that they are crap.  Someone turns a tap on elsewhere and you get scalded in the shower.  Take an age to run hot water.  

1 minute ago, snaga said:

We got a Worcester boiler and have a remote controller, it's also Worcester and is decent- its a "Comfort II RF", quite easy and intuitive to control, it can do vaguely fancy shit but also has advance buttons if you just want a boost. Handy bring able go have the thermostat in the room you are in but it can be fixed to a wall too. Looks like this :

89b4f82903e5f73388a1bb3ad465c3f0.jpg

18 minutes ago, One percent said:

Be interested to know whether you are going for a combi or traditional boiler.  I need a new one too and people seem to be trying to push a combi but my experience of these (from 20 odd years ago) is that they are crap.  Someone turns a tap on elsewhere and you get scalded in the shower.  Take an age to run hot water.  

We got a (Worcester condensing combi) boiler which was way over powered as we wanted powerful showers even if the other shower/taps were being used. Thermostatic showers  keep the temps stable, if someone runs another tap the temp will rise/drop only slightly and only for a second. Only shit thing about condensing boilers is the visible exhaust outside, it's not a problem unless your boiler vent is somewhere nippy-say near a door/window. You can get periscope looking things to move the exhaust though.

26 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.oldham.gov.uk/warm_homes_oldham

Look for a local version of this.

• Installed 1177 boilers, 257 external wall insulation installs, 574 cavities & lofts- for free

Yes- look into the grants which may be available.

Also look at getting (if your dad doesn't already have them) thermostatic radiator valves, they're great in that you can just set the temp for each room and never touch them again.

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding the bit about the radiator valves

5 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

We got a Worcester boiler and have a remote controller, it's also Worcester and is decent- its a "Comfort II RF", quite easy and intuitive to control, it can do vaguely fancy shit but also has advance buttons if you just want a boost. Handy bring able go have the thermostat in the room you are in but it can be fixed to a wall too. Looks like this :

That would be the combination  I'd  be going for. 

31 minutes ago, One percent said:

If you have an airing cupboard you can get the combi to warm up a thermal store (= immersion heater in old money) so hot water always on tap

11 minutes ago, shindigger said:

That would be the combination  I'd  be going for. 

I would say go for it, no fannying about connecting the controller to your WiFi, no ongoing charges for the service either, maybe Nest, etc don't have charges though- I dunno. Would your dad use the internet temp adjustments too? No need if you either program the controller, or just use the buttons to control it. Useful I suppose for some but not really much use for us as one of us is in most of the time.

It has worked well, and doesn't eat batteries (uses norml AA ones), happy with the controller and the boiler, Bosch Worcester service is good too, we had to have them out as the company we chose to fit it all were total, utter, and absolute fucking arseholes.

We got a magnetic filter fitted and that corrosion inhibitor liquid put into the system, seemed a good idea since the boiler was so pricey.

Set a reminder on your phone/add a calendar entry for each year's service too, otherwise you lose the ten year guarantee. 

Good luck anyway, hope you don't get shitty fitters like we did.

11 minutes ago, Panther said:

If you have an airing cupboard you can get the combi to warm up a thermal store (= immersion heater in old money) so hot water always on tap

Our combi gives us instant (within 1 or 2 seconds) properly hot water for as long as we want. I'm not sure there's any need for tanks anymore, unless you have solar maybe.

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

I would say go for it, no fannying about connecting the controller to your WiFi, no ongoing charges for the service either, maybe Nest, etc don't have charges though- I dunno. Would your dad use the internet temp adjustments too? No need if you either program the controller, or just use the buttons to control it. Useful I suppose for some but not really much use for us as one of us is in most of the time.

It has worked well, and doesn't eat batteries (uses norml AA ones), happy with the controller and the boiler, Bosch Worcester service is good too, we had to have them out as the company we chose to fit it all were total, utter, and absolute fucking arseholes.

We got a magnetic filter fitted and that corrosion inhibitor liquid put into the system, seemed a good idea since the boiler was so pricey.

Set a reminder on your phone/add a calendar entry for each year's service too, otherwise you lose the ten year guarantee. 

Good luck anyway, hope you don't get shitty fitters like we did.

Thanks Carl this chimes with much of what I'd been told. I was told that Vaillant techs will go to a seldom used rad to produce dirty water so they can void the warranty. Have you heard of Worcester bosch applying a 3 strike rule on the cleanliness of the system water? Vaillant sound like a bunch of hoons too. 

1 hour ago, shindigger said:

Cheers.

One more thing, I see you called it the "Comfort II", the one I'm on about is the "Comfort II RF", the remote wireless one. 

Here's the instruction book in case you want to see how it's operated before buying it :

https://www.bosch-climate.com.au/files/Greenstar_Comfort_II_RF_Installation_and_Operating_Instructions_AU.pdf

and the Hive one :

https://bucketeer-e9a3f077-0ec6-47cc-a7da-226f8fd8c41c.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/public/img/attachments/Hive_Thermostat-ffd0505db7b21faa6daf361782b4d740c6d2735315a1d27d348954203cb72938.pdf

3 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Thanks Carl this chimes with much of what I'd been told. I was told that Vaillant techs will go to a seldom used rad to produce dirty water so they can void the warranty. Have you heard of Worcester bosch applying a 3 strike rule on the cleanliness of the system water? Vaillant sound like a bunch of hoons too. 

Dirty bastards!

No, I'm afraid not, no idea about the 3 strikes rule, the Bosch Worcester tech who came round was very pleasant and sorted our problem out. They were easy to deal with on the phone too. I've never dealt with any other boiler manufacturers so can't compare. 

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

You have your central heating on?  Where is the dosbod's spirit of never switching it on until the inside of the windows are frozen up?  o.O

Just now, One percent said:

You have your central heating on?  Where is the dosbod's spirit of never switching it on until the inside of the windows are frozen up?  o.O

That's just a photo from online.

We do have our heating on though, or did last night anyway, it's kinda cold up here. 

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

TBF, so did I.... bloody cold for September

Yeah, nice summer for ages, then bang- autumn and a cold one so far. This is my favourite time of year though, and we did well for summer this year, so can't really complain, might anyway though!

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yeah, nice summer for ages, then bang- autumn and a cold one so far. This is my favourite time of year though, and we did well for summer this year, so can't really complain, might anyway though!

Mine too.  I love the crisp mornings and the changing colours.  It is bloody cold though

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Mine too.  I love the crisp mornings and the changing colours.  It is bloody cold though

I love the noises and smells from this time of year. I am cold though, got a jumper on but could do with a t shirt underneath too.

Worcester Bosch are popular with plumbers and gas installers.

They'll usually moan that they aren't as well made as before, more plastic parts, but they are still better than all the other reasonably priced condenser boilers for general reliability, spares back-up, and service network.

Hive is OK when it's working.

From time to time Hive updates cause everything to play up until they work out a fix. The thermostat controller uses AA batteries which stop working as they lose energy so it eats batteries. The controller constantly needs rebooting by taking out the batteries and putting them back in. The Hive Hub constantly goes offline and needs unplugging and plugging back again. The mobile phone/tablet app often needs updating, after which it needs logging in again with user name and password, which people forget. The Hive programming is easy to set up but obviously depends on all three parts working, the thermostat, the hub, and the boiler receiver. Usually you expect it to warm the house before you come home, and it hasn't, you may as well expect to turn it on manually.

Best part is often what's showing on the app ie heating on, lights on, camera on, is the opposite ie the heating is off, the lights off, the camera off, and of course, the reverse applies.

If there's anybody elderly at home, or perhaps, a woman, or worse case scenario, an elderly woman, don't touch Hive with a bargepole.

Even if you show them how to switch the heating on and off on the thermostat, they might need to take the batteries out to reboot it, before they can do so. This irritates them somewhat.

Hive has a limited range through Zigbee but they do plug-in extenders which help for bigger homes. The message 'No RF' is the usual nuisance. Needs new batteries usually.

Apart from all that as I say, it's OK when it works especially if you know how to fix it.      

11 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Worcester Bosch are popular with plumbers and gas installers.

They'll usually moan that they aren't as well made as before, more plastic parts, but they are still better than all the other reasonably priced condenser boilers for general reliability, spares back-up, and service network.

Hive is OK when it's working.

From time to time Hive updates cause everything to play up until they work out a fix. The thermostat controller uses AA batteries which stop working as they lose energy so it eats batteries. The controller constantly needs rebooting by taking out the batteries and putting them back in. The Hive Hub constantly goes offline and needs unplugging and plugging back again. The mobile phone/tablet app often needs updating, after which it needs logging in again with user name and password, which people forget. The Hive programming is easy to set up but obviously depends on all three parts working, the thermostat, the hub, and the boiler receiver. Usually you expect it to warm the house before you come home, and it hasn't, you may as well expect to turn it on manually.

Best part is often what's showing on the app ie heating on, lights on, camera on, is the opposite ie the heating is off, the lights off, the camera off, and of course, the reverse applies.

If there's anybody elderly at home, or perhaps, a woman, or worse case scenario, an elderly woman, don't touch Hive with a bargepole.

Even if you show them how to switch the heating on and off on the thermostat, they might need to take the batteries out to reboot it, before they can do so. This irritates them somewhat.

Hive has a limited range through Zigbee but they do plug-in extenders which help for bigger homes. The message 'No RF' is the usual nuisance. Needs new batteries usually.

Apart from all that as I say, it's OK when it works especially if you know how to fix it.      

Awesome. Cheers. I've actually rowed back from the Comfort 2 option this arvo as the basic controller that sits in the boiler housing will suffice. Will let the TRVs handle the room temps and let the basic controller provide a base line for system heat and timings. What we choose will represent a massive efficiency boost on what we have. What I save on the controller, is going on a full height towel rad in bathroom. 

7 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Awesome. Cheers. I've actually rowed back from the Comfort 2 option this arvo as the basic controller that sits in the boiler housing will suffice. Will let the TRVs handle the room temps and let the basic controller provide a base line for system heat and timings. What we choose will represent a massive efficiency boost on what we have. What I save on the controller, is going on a full height towel rad in bathroom. 

I'm told the Honeywell Evohome system works well for individual room temperature control via separate wireless TRV's. Particularly useful if you have a mixture of room use, not so much if heating whole house to same temp is general requirement. Not cheap though. 

I got a Tado, bought a Worcester one but returned it once I found out is has to be hardwired. I got the Tado when Eon had a special offer on for the full starter kit plus wireless bridge for £200 fitted.

Love the Tado.