• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sugarlips

Famous people you've met

Ive been lucky enough to have met (as in havea coherent conversation with):

Simon & Yasmin Le Bon & Nick Rhodes

Gordon Honeycombe RIP

Simon Napier-Bell 

Dina Carroll

Suggs

I've been fortunate that they were all very polite and cheerful

Your turn

1 minute ago, One percent said:

To my knowledge, I’ve never, ever met anyone famous. 

Mine are so minor that the list reads like a Viz sketch but I will post them to encourage others not to be intimidated by the big show offs' showbiz connections.

Carol Thatcher

Tom O'Connor

Professor Heinz Wolff

The Brotherhood of Man

Robert Robinson and Mycroft

Humphrey Lyttleton

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Mine are so minor that the list reads like a Viz sketch but I will post them to encourage others not to be intimidated by the big show offs' showbiz connections.

Carol Thatcher

Tom O'Connor

Professor Heinz Wolff

The Brotherhood of Man

Robert Robinson and Mycroft

Humphrey Lyttleton

Much more impressive than my list of nil. xD

I clearly move in the wrong circles. 

Not exactly A listers, but when I worked at a hotel bar I served a number of celebs and had a few drinks with jim bowen and james whale

Edited by snaga

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't actually think that there any celebs that @Cunning Plan doesn't know personally.

I live in Surrey. You can't move without falling over the buggers.

At one point Brian Blessed and Shakin Stevens lived down my road. Didn't meet them though so doesn't count.

Just now, One percent said:

Much more impressive than my list of nil. xD

I clearly move in the wrong circles. 

They were all when I was on shows bar Humph which was a law dinner (one of the temples, friend was a barrister) and as it was a small event I could have a chat.

So I don't think any of them count as social.

Doesn't technically count I suppose but a work colleague (female) went on a few dates with Kevin Spacey.

6 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

Apologies bloody blow in's eh..

Is there a merge option?

Nah, nah- it's fine, I just remembered listing my encounters with famous folk so had a look. 

Spunko sometimes merges threads, so there is an option to do it.

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I live in Surrey. You can't move without falling over the buggers.

At one point Brian Blessed and Shakin Stevens lived down my road. Didn't meet them though so doesn't count.

I bet you could hear Brian Blessed though, even with all the windows shut!

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

At one point Brian Blessed and Shakin Stevens lived down my road.

Well I always had my doubts about Blessed but I never had Shakey down as a shirt lifter. My auntie Joan will be devastated.

I met Nigel Benn about 15 years ago whilst drinking in a West London bar ... he thought he was a right hard cunt, which considering he is NIgel Benn and one of the best fighter Britains ever produced i thought it unnecessary.

Worked as a caddie as a kid and done a couple of rounds with Jimmy Tarbuck, Bruce Forsyth and others of that circuit and they did seem a right laugh, but it was 30 years ago so memory is vague.

Mine are very minor. In the late 50's and 60's we had the Morecambe & Wise Show producer, Johnny Ammonds, living next door. Allan Clarke from The Hollies once came into the newsagents where I had a weekend job in the 70's, wanting to buy a box of matches. The boss refused to serve him as he just had a £10 note. Also met Arthur Brown at the bar of the Witchwood pub in Ashton Under Lyne, after a gig.. He was friendly, but as barking mad as you'd expect.

As per the previous similar thread, Still reckon not only have I never met anyone famous, I've never even seen anyone either. Apart from people on a pitch or a stage which I've paid to see! 

I could just be very unobservant .

Edited by Uptherebels

22 minutes ago, jay67 said:

Mine are very minor. In the late 50's and 60's we had the Morecambe & Wise Show producer, Johnny Ammonds, living next door. Allan Clarke from The Hollies once came into the newsagents where I had a weekend job in the 70's, wanting to buy a box of matches. The boss refused to serve him as he just had a £10 note. Also met Arthur Brown at the bar of the Witchwood pub in Ashton Under Lyne, after a gig.. He was friendly, but as barking mad as you'd expect.

For Christs sake don't give Arthur Brown any matches. I think his hair still hasn't grown back.

As an addendum to the other thread, I've become drinking buddies with an ex-professional footballer of some repute.

To be honest, knowing bugger all about football, I had no idea until we went out in town and random people kept coming up and asking for his autograph/photo.

He's a lovely bloke who's career was cut short due to injury. I won't mention his name because he coaches a lot of our kids and it's a bit close to home. He's not a household name or anything but was well known up t'North.

My mum was quite friendly with Bill Oddie's mum and they frequently met usually at the same park bench. I was with them sometimes and it never seemed a happy conversation. Years later he publically blamed his bipolar depression on the relationship with his mum but I was too young to know what was really going on. 

53 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

As per the previous similar thread, Still reckon not only have I never met anyone famous, I've never even seen anyone either. Apart from people on a pitch or a stage which I've paid to see! 

I could just be very unobservant .

Probably down to where you live.

I used to see celebs reasonably frequently when I lived in central London because that's where a lot of them live or visit.  Not to talk to* but every few weeks you'd see one.

Other than the odd local footballer or manager, or local TV or radio presenter, who don't really count IMO, the only celeb I've seen in the last ten years' of living in the SW has been Dawn French who lives down here.

* I worked in reinsurance which runs on social contact so loads of lunches and evening dos meaning that I met many people socially.  A few pints in at the bar before a Chubby Brown show I found myself face to face with somebody familiar. Not wishing to be rude I gave a cheery "alright" before heading back to claim my pint.

It dawned on me about half an hour later that it was actually Chris Deakin off The Bill who would have been thinking "Who's that? They clearly know me."

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Probably down to where you live.

I used to see celebs reasonably frequently when I lived in central London because that's where a lot of them live or visit.  Not to talk to* but every few weeks you'd see one.

Im in central London a lot and at Parliament reasonably frequently but I’ve never seen one. Probably more to do with me walking round in a little bubble, studiously trying to avoid eye contact so as not to attract the nutters