• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SpectrumFX

Police are very close to 'losing the streets'

14 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

It's a nice theory. Except the villains are coming from miles away. Or are pikey.

Depends what sort of crime or problems we are talking about.

In the case of theft and burglery I agree,  but then police don't bother investigating that now anyway because it's too difficult.

In the case of acid attacks, stabbings, low level local crime..  there probably is more that local communities could do.

Edited by Libspero

25 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Depends what sort of crime or problems we are talking about.

In the case of theft and burglery I agree,  but then police don't bother investigating that now anyway because it's too difficult.

In the case of acid attacks, stabbings, low level local crime..  there probably is more that local communities could do.

The 'community' word is my current pet hate.

It doesn't mean community, as in everyone. It means the self appointed elite who want to make the rules for everyone else.

And if they decide they are happy to keep stabbing each other then we should just let them get on with it.

30 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

It doesn't mean community, as in everyone. It means the self appointed elite who want to make the rules for everyone else.

I can relate..  our village has a self appointed committee who consider themselves the official voice of the village (though not by any particularly democratic authority).

I meant more as in just regular local people getting fed up and organising neighbourhood watch groups or just  generally keeping an eye on what is going on in their areas.

8 hours ago, dgul said:

The police aren't on the streets to lose them.

This summer I've been around the Balkans, Germany, Poland and a few Nordics.  In every country I saw real policemen on the streets.  I just don't see this in the UK to anywhere near the same extent.

Also the few British police you do see about don't look scary. I prefer the French police/gendarme with their big guns. The non-threatening unarmed British policing culture is not suitable any more now that the population is completely different.

Just now, One percent said:

Oh gawd, don’t suggest arming the current crop of police. There are only three outcomes

1. they will have their gun taken off them by some scroat 
  2. they will shoot their self with it by accident 
  3. they will shoot an innocent bystander 

no no way would they ever shoot the criminal. Human rights and all that 

:D that is true.

I suppose French police are mostly not so PC yet.

9 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

My Grandfather (Ex Met) would be spinning in his grave if he saw that. 

Mind he would have probably taken the view that she should have been behind a desk at the nick.

I’d probably agree with him. I’m afraid I’m a terrible female who’d be strung up by the sisterhood for not being a feminist. I have a niece who’s degree has just got her in the police force. Knowing the type of person she is only confirms my awareness of how truly fcuked we are. 

12 hours ago, One percent said:

(In response to the clip of the black man grinding the WPCj

Dear god. He needed to be pepper sprayed or tasered at the very least.  

Which illustrates very nicely the point if the thread, that the police are close to losing the streets.

If his actions had been met by police force (see what I did there!), theres a good chance it would have all kicked off and Notting Hill would have been burning by nightfall. The ‘carnival reveller’ was making it quite clear that he was withdrawing his “consent to be policed”, and the police officers concerned were well aware of it.

Edited by Mirror Mirror

9 hours ago, dgul said:

The police aren't on the streets to lose them.

This summer I've been around the Balkans, Germany, Poland and a few Nordics.  In every country I saw real policemen on the streets.  I just don't see this in the UK to anywhere near the same extent.

I actually cant remember the last time I police just strolling round on foot.

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

Glastonbury. And only saw one. 

....could just have been fancy dress I suppose. 

Edited by Thombleached

Only time I see police outside of a car, is the community liason officer who shows up at the village fate, I think he spends his time at village fates in the summer, and visiting schools the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

Gay pride rallies and the Notting Hill carnival seems to be the only time that PCs get out of their cars.

PCSOs do that strolling around on foot; I see one chap once a month or so patrolling on his own on my lunchtime walks and say hello.

Though whilst it's good to see a uniformed policeman his beat, or the bits of it on which I see him, seem really odd.  They are really quiet which is why they're on my walks; nowhere near the town centre.  I doubt any crime has ever been committed in that area, bar speeding, at lunchtime.

16 hours ago, 201p said:

8 hrs ago

Thousands of crimes going unsolved in Hampshire, new analysis shows

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16699283.thousands-of-crimes-going-unsolved-in-hampshire-new-analysis-shows/

I am in the process of upgrading all locks and security on the basis that once its gone its gone. Just bought a pair of these for the multipoint locked doors.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avocet-ABS-High-Security-Euro-Cylinder-UPVC-Door-Lock-Anti-Snap-3-Star-TS007/111159906640?hash=item19e1a59150:m:maP60R3yjXpVaCrOuhbaRbA

My front door and dead bolt are getting replaced this week, have noted that my 5 lever lock is not BSI rated. 5 lever but not BSI.

I bought this nightlatch too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/era-bs-night-latch-polished-chrome-60mm/37712

All windows are locked 24/7 now its cooler.

There will be no police investigation.

Im doing it to give the insurance ZERO wiggle room. Its all anyone can do now.

I have a retriever, who is very vocal, i'm seriously thinking of buying him a German Shepherd playmate.

My contract with the state is null and void.

Teresa ripped it up in my face.

2 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

p065j5nr.jpg

Edited by shindigger

7 minutes ago, shindigger said:

I am in the process of upgrading all locks and security on the basis that once its gone its gone. Just bought a pair of these for the multipoint locked doors.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avocet-ABS-High-Security-Euro-Cylinder-UPVC-Door-Lock-Anti-Snap-3-Star-TS007/111159906640?hash=item19e1a59150:m:maP60R3yjXpVaCrOuhbaRbA

I did that last year, keys can't be copied easily either with the magnetic bit, also good for extracting 2 and 10 p coins from your pocket. Also have cctv cameras which is a bit more of a deterrent.

Last time I saw proper police walking about, it was two big fellas with machine guns walking around the St David's shopping centre in Cardiff after some attrocity or other.

I expect that'll be the next time I see them as well.

Other than that I see tiny men and obese women walking around in PCSO unicorns fairly regularly. I used to work with a women who's husband was a copper. She said that they called them CHIMPS. This was a references to their capabilities rather than a Monkey reference. Can't Help In Most Police Situations.

xD

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Gay pride rallies and the Notting Hill carnival seems to be the only time that PCs get out of their cars.

PCSOs do that strolling around on foot; I see one chap once a month or so patrolling on his own on my lunchtime walks and say hello.

Though whilst it's good to see a uniformed policeman his beat, or the bits of it on which I see him, seem really odd.  They are really quiet which is why they're on my walks; nowhere near the town centre.  I doubt any crime has ever been committed in that area, bar speeding, at lunchtime.

My local plod get lambasted when they get out of their cars (and into others).  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4986770/Fury-police-officers-ride-dodgems-duty-Hull-Fair.html

13 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

And if they decide they are happy to keep stabbing each other then we should just let them get on with it.

The word 'community' has been abused so much in recent years it has lost its true meaning.

Everyone jumping on the bandwagon with their pet cause and justify it by using the word 'community'.