• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

WTF Happened Here?!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45468083

I lived in a large block in New York once and I had someone accidentally walk into my apartment (easily done as all the floors and lobbies looked the same). It took precisely 5 seconds for the woman in question, when she saw me in the entrance hallway, to realize what had happened, apologize profusely and head back out of the door. How do you get from that situation to shooting someone dead?!

Not defending her actions, but can kind of see how it might happen, psychologically speaking.

Similar thing happened to a mate of mine many years ago. He was completely bladdered and was stumbling around outside his front door, trying to get in, but he kept fumbling his keys in the lock because he was so pissed.

Suddenly some strange guy opens the door and instinctually my mate headbutts him to the ground and starts shouting at him, "who the fuck are you and what are you doing in my fucking house?!".

Except it wasn't his house. Oops.

Just now, LC1 said:

Not defending her actions, but can kind of see how it might happen, psychologically speaking.

Similar thing happened to a mate of mine many years ago. He was completely bladdered and was stumbling around outside his front door, trying to get in, but he kept fumbling his keys in the lock because he was so pissed.

Suddenly some strange guy opens the door and instinctually my mate headbutts him to the ground and starts shouting at him, "who the fuck are you and what are you doing in my fucking house?!".

Except it wasn't his house. Oops.

Oh yes, I can see circumstances where it could happen, I'm just struggling to find them here. My first thought was she walked in on some gangster type counting his drug cash and toting an Uzi but this guy was basically a mild mannered accountant (well, financial risk assessment person)  who worked for PwC so wouldn't have been packing anything nastier than a spreadsheet. Maybe she was pissed up like your mate? But then she was coming straight off shift according to the story so that seems kind of unlikely too.

At a guess, she was drunk, her day job involves seeing many crimes and having a general distrust of people, it didn't help that the victim was black so that may have clouded her judgement as IIRC most robberies in the USA are committed by African Americans etc.

A terrible accident.  Goes into wrong apartment, probably brain dead after a long shift, sees a large black man, shoots.

Awful, and warrants a criminal sentence - what I would call manslaughter.  However, not evil/racist, as she didn't specifically hunt down a black dude to shoot. In my book, it's not racist to react based on experience and statistics, even if your situational analysis is wrong.

Of course, I know in the current world I am a terrible racist for writing the above.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

At a guess, she was drunk, her day job involves seeing many crimes and having a general distrust of people, it didn't help that the victim was black so that may have clouded her judgement as IIRC most robberies in the USA are committed by African Americans etc.

This, probably.

11 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Something doesn’t add up. Noisy neighbour she killed in a rage then invented the rest?

Rejected her advances? Could be anything, dead men tell no tales.

On 10/09/2018 at 15:29, wherebee said:

A terrible accident.  Goes into wrong apartment, probably brain dead after a long shift, sees a large black man, shoots.

Awful, and warrants a criminal sentence - what I would call manslaughter.  However, not evil/racist, as she didn't specifically hunt down a black dude to shoot. In my book, it's not racist to react based on experience and statistics, even if your situational analysis is wrong.

Of course, I know in the current world I am a terrible racist for writing the above.

Maybe not racist but it was evil. Police officers in the USA have permission to kill IF they believe that their life is in danger. How does that sit with the average Brit? Whatever the circumstances, if the person with a uniform and a gun is scared, you are dead.

5 hours ago, jm51 said:

Maybe not racist but it was evil. Police officers in the USA have permission to kill IF they believe that their life is in danger. How does that sit with the average Brit? Whatever the circumstances, if the person with a uniform and a gun is scared, you are dead.

Yup, agree with you, that's why I said a jail sentence is required.

When dealing with US cops, I make sure I move slowly and keep my hands visible.  If they get nervous I stop talking and moving until they issue an instruction.  Oh, and don't forget to be white.