• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Over 75s free TV Licence going?

I thought DWP had already made the So-Called BBC pick this up but it was on the radio yesterday that it doesn't actually happen until 2020.

The piece was about a period of "consultation" that the So-Called BBC will be undertaking in this time as to whether the current system should continue.

I doubt the consultation will take the form of:

"You are over 75 and receive a free TV Licence; would you like to start paying for it?"

"No thank you"

The piece was all about over 75s using more of the So-Called BBC's output than younger people so you can see the angle of attack.

I don't think the local radio chap had received his memo though because afterwards he said that as they'd been paying the licence for fifty years then maybe they deserved a free one.

The over 65s are on the whole very wealthy in respect of income and savings.   The government and establishment know that the economy is skewed in their favour.  Putting the increased age for the state pension aside, it (licence fee issue) is a typical “test the water/ public opinion” announcement to see if there is an angry reaction.  TPTB know that younger people sooner or later will start to get angry about inter generational robbery.

Its buried in this.

The Cliff Richard ting too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45482646

'In July, Sir Cliff won his privacy case against the corporation over its coverage of a 2014 police raid on his home.

The singer said the So-Called BBC's reporting of the raid, which included helicopter footage of his home being searched, was a "serious invasion" of privacy. He was never arrested or charged.

Lord Hall said: "We approached Sir Cliff's lawyers and... I approached Sir Cliff on a couple of occasions suggesting could we sit down and try to sort this out without going to the court.

"But sadly, and, I guess understandably, the legal view came back that, 'We don't want to talk.'"

Lord Hall added that Sir Cliff's team said they were only prepared to reach a settlement if the So-Called BBC admitted it had acted illegally, but he said he didn't think the corporation had acted illegally.'

'He said: "We are really sorry about what Sir Cliff has been through.

"We reported accurately what happened but we overdid it, the helicopter overdid it, it was something to report but [further] down the bulletin."'

Err a helicopter on avague, bullishit allegation..

'The government used to meet this cost in its entirety but it was agreed in 2015 that the So-Called BBC would take on the full cost of the concession over a phased period.

the So-Called BBC is due to absorb the full cost from 2020/21 - but Lord Hall said the corporation will review whether it continues to offer the arrangement after that time.

Lord Hall said it was "a difficult balance between what people can afford and our need to give proper services".'

Vague dealing with Browns 'VoteForMe!!!!!!!' Heres some free stuff; let th kids pay for it.

Most over 75s I know dont watch the So-Called BBC at all, instead prefering to watch the old stuff on multitude of freeview channels.

the So-Called BBC like the newspapers is of little relevance to them as it is full of confused shit they dont understand anymore.

Much better to watch old gardening/antique stuff that has some stability and interest to it.

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Most over 75s I know dont watch the So-Called BBC at all, instead prefering to watch the old stuff on multitude of freeview channels.

the So-Called BBC like the newspapers is of little relevance to them as it is full of confused shit they dont understand anymore.

Much better to watch old gardening/antique stuff that has some stability and interest to it.

Nah.

Most over 75 I know dont even watch Ch4 - 1-3 only.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, but you know exactly what will happen.  It will be means tested.

So all the freebies that you can curently look forward to in retirement - state pension, free bus travel, free TV licence, winter fuel allowance, eye tests, prescriptions - will be denied to anyone who has worked their life and lived prudently and actually funded these things but will be freely handed out to "the poorest members of our society".  Being those on a lifetime of benefits and immigrants who have not contributed a single brass farthing.

State pension will be left.

The rest will be means tested.

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Yes, but until the So-Called BBC goes subscription (which it won't, because it will then quickly die) they have to pay the licence to watch Drama or Yesterday.

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, but until the So-Called BBC goes subscription (which it won't, because it will then quickly die) they have to pay the licence to watch Drama or Yesterday.

Or get all militant, refuse to pay and call their bluff.

I'm thinking, Japan, Pensioner, Sandwich, Prison, three meals a day, heating, free TV, Dominoes and Cards.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Or get all militant, refuse to pay and call their bluff.

Note to self. Need bigger phone. Read that as 'get all migrant".

Which in itself is a reasonable question to ask.

What is the take up of TV Licence among our enrichers ?

Less than zero ?

I would guess pinning down transient renters all called similar names must be more trouble than it's worth.

Like in Wales, looking for Dai Jones, which one mate ? Oh, OK, never mind, Rhys Ifans ? Owen Davies ?  Gutto Griffiths ? Oh yes Gutto, he's moved to Ponty pal. What about Dai Jones ?

Which one mate ?

3 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

My Gran gave up watching TV once the switchover to digital took place. Couldnt figure out how to watch. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Anyone got time to read this

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8101

Seems the Scots 10% of them don't fess up the money. I was more interested in the figures for Bradford or Birmingham.

TV ownership is one of the proxies I believe can be used to gauge the piousness of muslims. The deoband association strictly advises against owning a TV (and wearing ties!)

If ever I've worked with a muslim and seen he's not wearing a tie, I always ask "do you have a TV at home". Without fail, the answer will be no.

Its kind of ironic seeing the So-Called BBC pushes Hijab wearers into things like Eastenders, when the promiscuity and rampant homosexuality in such programs ensures no muslim will ever allow his family to view such drivel.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, but you know exactly what will happen.  It will be means tested.

So all the freebies that you can curently look forward to in retirement - state pension, free bus travel, free TV licence, winter fuel allowance, eye tests, prescriptions - will be denied to anyone who has worked their life and lived prudently and actually funded these things but will be freely handed out to "the poorest members of our society".  Being those on a lifetime of benefits and immigrants who have not contributed a single brass farthing.

As a deluded old scrapper bloke, albeit one that can live very frugally. I am looking into this as one of my options.

To live off what I have now and then apply for whatever benefits are available in 30-40 odd years. Hopefully something like Pension Credit (seeing how some peeps I know who are on this seem to get everything for free) and the only barrier to entry was to be over 60 and and have zero savings.

Well as they say, If you can't beat them.

17 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Good , can’t see any reason for this or free bus passes , winter fuel payment 

Pay up coffin dodgers 😀

I can

VotForME!! Gordon 2010!!!

Thats where it all came from.

Free stuff!! For evetyerone!!!*

* - Apart from people working in the private sector.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo said:

As a deluded old scrapper bloke, albeit one that can live very frugally. I am looking into this as one of my options.

To live off what I have now and then apply for whatever benefits are available in 30-40 odd years. Hopefully something like Pension Credit (seeing how some peeps I know who are on this seem to get everything for free) and the only barrier to entry was to be over 60 and and have zero savings.

Well as they say, If you can't beat them.

I think that if you are disciplined and do teh planning then this can be a real option.  Ideally have your own house owned outright - nice bit of security - and then dripfeed over several decades into a hideable investment like gold coins.  You will then have enough income to live on from the benefits plus every freebie going, your own house which doesn't count in any assessment of benefits, and whenver you need the money for a world cruise, new car (or less enjoyably, an operation) you know that you have an off the radar reserve fund of gold coins.

If you want to get really clever at this then start putting money offshore and buy your house that way through an offshore holding company and rent it to yourself; then when you stop working you can claim housing benefit for your rent which is then paid to yourself via the offshore company.  And have a luxury holiday in Jersey every few months paid for by the housing benefit / rent when you go to collect it.

39 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

TV ownership is one of the proxies I believe can be used to gauge the piousness of muslims. The deoband association strictly advises against owning a TV (and wearing ties!)

If ever I've worked with a muslim and seen he's not wearing a tie, I always ask "do you have a TV at home". Without fail, the answer will be no.

Its kind of ironic seeing the So-Called BBC pushes Hijab wearers into things like Eastenders, when the promiscuity and rampant homosexuality in such programs ensures no muslim will ever allow his family to view such drivel.

Proof if ever it was needed that Islamification is being forced on the natives by the natives, rarely by the Muslims. Peter Hitchens has been arguing this for years - his most recent article recounts a burka-clad woman arguing that she wishes this country was more Christian with Christian values. I can believe it.

23 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Good , can’t see any reason for this or free bus passes , winter fuel payment 

Pay up coffin dodgers 😀

It is a thank you for the people who have worked for forty five years to keep the economy going.

And as I'm now nearly two thirds of the way between graduating and state retirement age I don't wish to be the first generation that doesn't get them.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is a thank you for the people who have worked for forty five years to keep the economy going.

And as I'm now nearly two thirds of the way between graduating and state retirement age I don't wish to be the first generation that doesn't get them.

The free bus passes are a hidden subsidy to public transport providers. If they are abolished it won't just be OAPs who get hit. The result will be swathes of timetable cancellations on the buses which will hit all users regardless of age. It is essentially an urban subsidy as well since out in the sticks there are a lot less buses to use your free bus pass on anyway. Wealthier pensioners will just use their cars.

Edited by Virgil Caine