• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

How has the EU wasted your money?

https://www.myeu.uk/#/

Pop your post code into this helpful website to find out what vanity projects, white elephants, and pointless bureaucracy the EU has been wasting your hard earned tax money on in your local area.

xD

What a bunch of Muppets. I don't think they realise that the public like the EU less and less, the more that they find out about it 

Great app!

Though when I have had people say to me about all the money that Cornwall receives from the EU because it has objective 1 status I point out that it has gone one vanity projctcs and big construction schemes that made a lot of big out of county contractors and consultants rich but not actually improved the wealth or earnings of the average resident one iota.

Whereas providing a big grant for a car manufacturer to open a build plant here, like Nissan in Sunderland or Honda in Swindon, would have meant loads of well paying jobs for locals.

My favourite vanity project is on the map: the Hayle Wave Hub

Wave Hub Offshore Cable Extensions

The EU provided Wave Hub Limited with £2,130,802 to fund 47% of this project.

Summary

4 subsea cable exten's Wave Hub offshore site &connect to Wave Hub subsea infrastre. Deployment of, and electricity generation from, viable pre-commercial marine renewable technology in each of the four berths at the Wave Hub site.

The EU supported this project through its European Structural and Investment Funds, which are the EU's main funding programmes for supporting growth and jobs in the UK and across the EU. Find out more.

This doesn't actually do anything but is a big cable and connector running from Hayle out to sea so that people can put their wave energy devices out there and connect up to this cable.

It was installed in 2010 at a cost of £4m and has had a (to be fair: small) admin office running ever since.

The amount of electricty generated at sea and run through this wave hub: zero.

At last reports people were testing elsewhere because the tech has moved on and this wavehub is no longer good enough.

Whilst the UK government is obviosuly very capable of wasting money off its own bat the EU has refined it into an artform.  The money Cornwall recieved from the EU has benefitted a tiny number of people and done nothing for your average resident; so losing it is no real loss.

Projects at M24 1XX

20-20 3D Media: Spatial Sound and Vision

The EU provided Digital Projection Limited with £477,479 to fund 4% of the "20-20 3D Media" research project.

2 Projects at M40 5BP

Intensified Heat Transfer Technologies for Enhanced Heat Recovery

The EU provided Process Integration Limited with £189,781 to fund14% of the "INTHEAT" research project.

Development of bio-oil dewatering and fractionation processes and testing of upgraded bio-oil as engine fuel and feedstock for the production of lubricants

Projects at M9 8AJ

Children of Prisoners, Interventions & Mitigations to Strengthen Mental Health

The EU provided Partners of Prisoners and Families Support Groupwith £122,965 to fund 4% of the "COPING" research project.

Projects at OL1 1DN

PESHKAR PRODUCTIONS LIMITED

PESHKAR PRODUCTIONS LIMITED was part of the < 25 // Alternative Routes to Ripen through Theatre project. The EU provided £165,446 for this project as a whole. You can find out more about the project from their website.

Cloud based Simulation platform for Manufacturing and Engineering

The EU provided Charles Robinson (Cutting Tools) Ltd with £150,591 to fund 4% of the "CloudSME" research project.

Projects at OL3 6EP

ROOT MUSIC LTD

ROOT MUSIC LTD was part of the Network for Internationalization of Music Producers in Europe project. The EU provided £174,399 for this project as a whole. You can find out more about the project from their website.

Projects at OL3 5FZ

Moses Open Source Evaluation and Support Co-ordination for OutReach and Exploitation

The EU provided Capita Translation and Interpreting Limited with £261,893 to fund 25% of the "MosesCore" research project.

Objective

Machine translation (MT) has increasingly become an indispensable tool for coping with Europe's linguistic diversity.

Biggest one in my area;

Tees Valley Business Compass & Tees Valley Business Fund

The EU provided Tees Valley Combined Authority with £9,001,420 to fund 41% of this project.

Summary

Contribute to the Tees Valley Business Fund through making ERDF resources available to provide that financial assistance. This assistance can be used to address a number of barriers, as dictated by the needs of the individual SME, and is complementary to

The EU supported this project through its European Structural and Investment Funds, which are the EU's main funding programmes for supporting growth and jobs in the UK and across the EU. Find out more.

I've got no idea what this was spent on as I don't understand the above but 9 fucking million! 

5 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Just checked my area and most of it seems to be funding for small innovative engineering firms. At least that's better than the lesbian diversity outreach stuff that councils spunk our money on. 

Are any of them still going?

In my experience government funding for small business involves a non competitive numpty getting free rent and other perks for just long enough to put everybody else out of business, and then going out of business themselves once their subsidy stops and they actually have to pay bills.

I do live in Wales though, so all this goes through the Welsh Assembly who are a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

xD

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

Are any of them still going?

In my experience government funding for small business involves a non competitive numpty getting free rent and other perks for just long enough to put everybody else out of business, and then going out of business themselves once their subsidy stops and they actually have to pay bills.

I do live in Wales though, so all this goes through the Welsh Assembly who are a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

xD

Well one of them is run by a friend of mine! He's supposed to have retired but says they are so busy that he just keeps going. It's a bit hush-hush, something to do with defence contracts, so maybe they're building up for the big push in Syria.  

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Projects at M24 1XX

20-20 3D Media: Spatial Sound and Vision

The EU

YOU provided Digital Projection Limited with £477,479 to fund 4% of the "20-20 3D Media" research project.

Corrected - and the same for the others in the list.

17 minutes ago, twocents said:

Corrected - and the same for the others in the list.

You need to point out that the £477,479 actually cost us 3 times as much

Haven't a clue what this is but specifically says its nothing to do with employment  and its a huge amount.

CFO 3

The EU provided Her Majesty's Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS CFO); formerly NOMS National Offender Management Services with £131,000,000 to fund 53% of this project.
Summary

HMPPS CFO will operate under the Social Inclusion Thematic Objective for the 2014-20 Programme, allowing for a wider, and for this target group, a more appropriate focus than Employment. 

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Haven't a clue what this is but specifically says its nothing to do with employment  and its a huge amount.

CFO 3

The EU provided Her Majesty's Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS CFO); formerly NOMS National Offender Management Services with £131,000,000 to fund 53% of this project.
Summary

HMPPS CFO will operate under the Social Inclusion Thematic Objective for the 2014-20 Programme, allowing for a wider, and for this target group, a more appropriate focus than Employment. 

It's like a massive game of buzzword bingo.

6 minutes ago, Byron said:

You need to point out that the £477,479 actually cost us 3 times as much

Three times as much and as many of the eu projects are just vanity projects etc then they needn't have cost us anything at all.  We would be no worse off indeed better off without them.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It's like a massive game of buzzword bingo.

Buzzword bingo sums it all up very neatly.

Edited by twocents

1 minute ago, twocents said:

Three times as much and as many of the eu projects are just vanity projects etc then they needn't have cost us anything at all.  We would be no worse off indeed better off without them.

Probably true. The only thing that I will miss about Brexit is a. the possibility of easy residency in other EU countries (which may not even be an issue), b. the possible decline in fit attractive EE burds coming here to work, followed by the government using this as an excuse to allow easier immigration from sub-Saharan Africa. 

15 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Probably true. The only thing that I will miss about Brexit is a. the possibility of easy residency in other EU countries (which may not even be an issue), b. the possible decline in fit attractive EE burds coming here to work, followed by the government using this as an excuse to allow easier immigration from sub-Saharan Africa. 

I suspect that if Britain does get to leave the eu then the political landscape will look very different in a few years time as the ancient elitist and non-representative mainstream parties (LibLabCon) fall increasingly out of favour and become even more unpopular.

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, ILikeCake said:

Biggest one in my area;

Tees Valley Business Compass & Tees Valley Business Fund

The EU provided Tees Valley Combined Authority with £9,001,420 to fund 41% of this project.

Summary

Contribute to the Tees Valley Business Fund through making ERDF resources available to provide that financial assistance. This assistance can be used to address a number of barriers, as dictated by the needs of the individual SME, and is complementary to

The EU supported this project through its European Structural and Investment Funds, which are the EU's main funding programmes for supporting growth and jobs in the UK and across the EU. Find out more.

I've got no idea what this was spent on as I don't understand the above but 9 fucking million! 

and just down the coast we have this carp

Novel Educational Model Enabling Social Innovation Skills development

The EU provided Social Enterprise International Ltd with £229,667 to fund 12% of the "NEMESIS" research project.

NEMESIS designs, develops and tests an educational model for equipping students of primary and secondary education with Social Innovation Skills, values and tools. This process will enable students to become creative social thinkers, develop entrepreneurial mindsets, and become social change makers into a world where inequality, poverty and social exclusion are still quite evident. The NEMESIS model builds on a combination of innovative pedagogies and learning models, open technologies and participatory relations and processes. It also creates bridges between the learning communities and real world social innovation experiences by creating a European wide community of social innovation practitioners eager to interact with students, facilitating interdisciplinary and intergenerational learning. To foster its potential to scale and be adopted by educational institutions around Europe, the project develops a Social Innovation Open Learning Platform to grant access to the specific educational model and resources to all with emphasis on those from disadvantaged environments. This platform also facilitates the creation of a Community of Practice of teachers, school leaders and relevant stakeholders willing to break silos, engage in dialogue, drive organizational change and experience the value of the NEMESIS educational model. NEMESIS will be piloted in Greece, Spain, UK, France and Portugal engaging stakeholders into co-creation of educational resources, collective learning through the development of projects and digital storytelling as well as into online learning and knowledge sharing communities of peers. In that way, the project builds a contemporary educational model that will act as a catalyst in innovative skills based education in Europe that is expected to improve current teaching and learning practices and drive students’ passion for sustainable social change.

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

The EU provided Social Enterprise International Ltd with £229,667 to fund 12% of the "NEMESIS" research project.

NEMESIS designs, develops and tests an educational model for equipping students of primary and secondary education with Social Innovation Skills, values and tools. This process will enable students to become creative social thinkers, develop entrepreneurial mindsets, and become social change makers into a world where inequality, poverty and social exclusion are still quite evident. The NEMESIS model builds on a combination of innovative pedagogies and learning models, open technologies and participatory relations and processes. It also creates bridges between the learning communities and real world social innovation experiences by creating a European wide community of social innovation practitioners eager to interact with students, facilitating interdisciplinary and intergenerational learning. To foster its potential to scale and be adopted by educational institutions around Europe, the project develops a Social Innovation Open Learning Platform to grant access to the specific educational model and resources to all with emphasis on those from disadvantaged environments. This platform also facilitates the creation of a Community of Practice of teachers, school leaders and relevant stakeholders willing to break silos, engage in dialogue, drive organizational change and experience the value of the NEMESIS educational model. NEMESIS will be piloted in Greece, Spain, UK, France and Portugal engaging stakeholders into co-creation of educational resources, collective learning through the development of projects and digital storytelling as well as into online learning and knowledge sharing communities of peers. In that way, the project builds a contemporary educational model that will act as a catalyst in innovative skills based education in Europe that is expected to improve current teaching and learning practices and drive students’ passion for sustainable social change.

FFS.  Only 12% of the total project funds, so approx £2 million was spent on that bollocks.

2 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

FFS.  Only 12% of the total project funds, so approx £2 million was spent on that bollocks.

Look at some of the wording. Sounds like our old friends Common Purpose to me: 

This platform also facilitates the creation of a Community of Practice of teachers, school leaders and relevant stakeholders willing to break silos, engage in dialogue, drive organizational change

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

That's like a kaleidoscope of words.  Give all the words a shake and just print them as they fall.  Next project same again.

1 minute ago, ILikeCake said:

And it is total bollox. A collection of soundbites without any tangible application.  Lets take this bit as an example:

The NEMESIS model builds on a combination of innovative pedagogies and learning models, open technologies and participatory relations and processes. It also creates bridges between the learning communities and real world social innovation experiences by creating a European wide community of social innovation practitioners eager to interact with students, facilitating interdisciplinary and intergenerational learning.

What exactly does that mean?  What exactly will these people be doing?  I would love to sit down with this lot and evaluate the outcomes.  My guess it was a jolly to all those countries listed - they are all nice holiday destinations.  What a coincidence.  

Just now, twocents said:

That's like a kaleidoscope of words.  Give all the words a shake and just print them as they fall.  Next project same again.

Exactly....

3 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Look at some of the wording. Sounds like our old friends Common Purpose to me: 

This platform also facilitates the creation of a Community of Practice of teachers, school leaders and relevant stakeholders willing to break silos, engage in dialogue, drive organizational change

It's hard to tell when it's in management goobledegook.

Edit.  I see twocents and One percent got there first.

Edited by ILikeCake

Oo Click on the area not a dot and you get the farmers money

In 2017, the EU invested £2,673,671 to support 263 farmers around Oldham.
In 2017, the EU invested £1,502,875 to support 97 farmers around Manchester.
In 2017, the EU invested £14,758,247 to support 1,138 farmers around Stockport.
In 2017, the EU invested £1,919,733 to support 179 farmers around Bolton.

How many farmers in Oldham? 

Can't believe there's 97 in Manchester! 

More interesting oddities

2 Projects at CH41 8FZ

AIRSEA CONTAINERS LIMITED

In 2016, the EU provided AIRSEA CONTAINERS LIMITED £0 as part of theProvision of services and work on behalf of outside bodies (10.04.02)programme.

This grant was from the EU budget centrally administered by the Commission Find out more.

Share:
Tell your MP

AIRSEA CONTAINERS LIMITED

In 2017, the EU provided AIRSEA CONTAINERS LIMITED £84 as part of the Nuclear safeguards (32.03.01) programme.

How much did it cost to give £0 and £84?

On 12/09/2018 at 10:17, Frank Hovis said:

At last reports people were testing elsewhere because the tech has moved on and this wavehub is no longer good enough.

Projects at KW16 3AE

Clean energy from ocean waves

The EU provided Green Marine(uk)ltd with £3,911,830 to fund 19% of the "CEFOW" research project.

Objective

The most advanced wave power demonstrations today have showed the feasibility of power generation with single device deployments and MW-scale performance within several testing periods of several years. The next step beyond this is to deploy multiple wave energy converters in MW-scale with improved power generation capability and demonstrate that

Although I'm pointing out another wave energy hub, also EU funded, that presumably took the business from the other EU funded hub...   I think it's fairly important that some branch of government funds things like this.  Nobody else is going to throw money into something that doesn't have a commercial payback.  And you never know, there might just be a breakthrough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-45246445

On 12/09/2018 at 10:06, SpectrumFX said:

https://www.myeu.uk/#/

Pop your post code into this helpful website to find out what vanity projects, white elephants, and pointless bureaucracy the EU has been wasting your hard earned tax money on in your local area.

xD

What a bunch of Muppets. I don't think they realise that the public like the EU less and less, the more that they find out about it 

The whole Brexit (I voted remain) - that the EU is some sort of sophisticated, grown up ploticis is total crap.

You dont need to grep thru the Of the EU budgets dumb fuck whiter elephants. Just the simple big spend - 50% of EU is on farm subs.

Have a think about that.

They go on about Brxit/local pols keeping happy their vested interests.

Farmers make up ~0.05? of the UK work force. Probably under 5 of Europe as a whole.

I the EU as a body cannot say fuck off to that then its really shit and needs rethinking.

On 12/09/2018 at 14:43, sarahbell said:

Oo Click on the area not a dot and you get the farmers money

In 2017, the EU invested £2,673,671 to support 263 farmers around Oldham.
In 2017, the EU invested £1,502,875 to support 97 farmers around Manchester.
In 2017, the EU invested £14,758,247 to support 1,138 farmers around Stockport.
In 2017, the EU invested £1,919,733 to support 179 farmers around Bolton.

How many farmers in Oldham? 

Can't believe there's 97 in Manchester! 

Cannabis?