• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Jobs Are Like Dating

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I’m not looking for a job - I like where I am now - but I have a never say never attitude so sometimes talk to people who contact me about stuff if the role looks particularly interesting. A couple of weeks back I was contacted by someone I know indirectly about a board position at a startup in a business area I think is promising so agreed to meet for a discussion. That turned into an interview with someone else from the company also there. Anyway, after that, the original guy then setup two further phone calls both of which he failed make with no warning or apology. When he then tried to set up a time for me to come back to his office I politely declined and told him that, in my experience, how companies treat you at the interview stage is as good as it gets and being stood up twice was enough for me. My analogy, which I didn’t share, is that this was basically a shit test to see how subservient I’d be if hired. The resulting sob-story from him, which I ignored, was also just like the repentant BPD girlfriend after some major piece of psycho-drama.

I’m quite confident I dodged a bullet on that one but the parallels between that and dating are uncanny!

Was it?

Id never do that sort of thing. Its mental if they did.

It sounds more like a chaotic idiot trying to run an org but with no concept of the crap.

Or a coke fiend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I’m not looking for a job - I like where I am now - but I have a never say never attitude so sometimes talk to people who contact me about stuff if the role looks particularly interesting. A couple of weeks back I was contacted by someone I know indirectly about a board position at a startup in a business area I think is promising so agreed to meet for a discussion. That turned into an interview with someone else from the company also there. Anyway, after that, the original guy then setup two further phone calls both of which he failed make with no warning or apology. When he then tried to set up a time for me to come back to his office I politely declined and told him that, in my experience, how companies treat you at the interview stage is as good as it gets and being stood up twice was enough for me. My analogy, which I didn’t share, is that this was basically a shit test to see how subservient I’d be if hired. The resulting sob-story from him, which I ignored, was also just like the repentant BPD girlfriend after some major piece of psycho-drama.

I’m quite confident I dodged a bullet on that one but the parallels between that and dating are uncanny!

Never looked at it like that but I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

Send him a bic pic

 

Image result for bic pic large

I came on here expecting a few Swiss Tony like jokes, but as ever, you lot surpass my expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also noticed from my ex-colleagues who are the ambitious job hopping types that everyone's expected to whore themselves out on LinkedIn these days.

Professionally taken profile photo, 'liking' other peoples promotions and job announcements. It's like you can't live a proper life without Facebook/Instagram, and you can't do a good job now without being plugged into the LinkedIn machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I've also noticed from my ex-colleagues who are the ambitious job hopping types that everyone's expected to whore themselves out on LinkedIn these days.

Professionally taken profile photo, 'liking' other peoples promotions and job announcements. It's like you can't live a proper life without Facebook/Instagram, and you can't do a good job now without being plugged into the LinkedIn machine.

I joined Linkedin when it first appeared, then spent two years trying to get my profile deleted, in the end I had to fake my own death to get it removed.

Evil cult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I joined Linkedin when it first appeared, then spent two years trying to get my profile deleted, in the end I had to fake my own death to get it removed.

Evil cult.

Bit harsh mate, Joe was just stating his view!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spygirl said:

Was it?

Id never do that sort of thing. Its mental if they did.

It sounds more like a chaotic idiot trying to run an org but with no concept of the crap.

Or a coke fiend.

Agreed that it would be absolutely mental if deliberate but the thing about shit-tests that they are unconscious on the part of the tester from what I've seen. Could also just be that the guy's a useless fucker although he's lead a couple of successful fundraising rounds and delivered a first version of the company's product so he can't be that hopeless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comparing employers to burds, that guy qualifies as a deluded old scrapper burd. It's a fucking start up so no guarantee at all that the bitch is fertile. Yet acts entitled. To the extent of assuming that it is fine to flake on talent that they know they need. Anyone sucked in could find themselves in the same position as an innocent young thing that wasted her youth on a Jaffa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jm51 said:

Comparing employers to burds, that guy qualifies as a deluded old scrapper burd. It's a fucking start up so no guarantee at all that the bitch is fertile. Yet acts entitled. To the extent of assuming that it is fine to flake on talent that they know they need. Anyone sucked in could find themselves in the same position as an innocent young thing that wasted her youth on a Jaffa.

Damn right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apropos of not much I remember going for an interview where, not too far into proceedings, the interviewer asked, "So how would you react if I called you a fucking cunt?"

I said are you asking me or calling me that? At which point he said that some customers could be bolshy and he wanted to guage my reaction.

This was to work in a small bookstore.

I actually did get the job but declined it as I didn't fancy spending my days being called a cunt by someone over a paperback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a woman interviewing me suddenly said 'cock' mid-sentence. She looked momentarily confused like she was thinking 'did I really say that'. So maybe it was a date for her.

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Panther said:

I had a woman interviewing me suddenly said 'cock' mid-sentence. She looked momentarily confused like she was thinking 'did I really say that'. So maybe it was a date for her.

Sounds like she had Tourette’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2018 at 02:33, TheBlueCat said:

 My analogy, which I didn’t share, is that this was basically a shit test to see how subservient I’d be if hired. The resulting sob-story from him, which I ignored, was also just like the repentant BPD girlfriend after some major piece of psycho-drama.

I’m quite confident I dodged a bullet on that one but the parallels between that and dating are uncanny!

I think there are a lot of parallels, DGAF is as invaluable in the workplace as it is with women. Like in dating, compliance in the workplace is generally punished rather than rewarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Panther said:

I had a woman interviewing me suddenly said 'cock' mid-sentence. She looked momentarily confused like she was thinking 'did I really say that'. So maybe it was a date for her.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

I think there are a lot of parallels, DGAF is as invaluable in the workplace as it is with women. Like in dating, compliance in the workplace is generally punished rather than rewarded.

Yes, most companies seem to want to hire insecure geniuses and then treat them like shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.