• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko

Netflix/Amazon Prime bargain bin shitty movies

I really miss Lovefilm, anyone remember them? They apparently closed last year. For anyone who didn't use them, they offered something no one else was able to, at an affordable price: specificity. I’ve NO interest in trawling through the movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime. It’s like the DVD bargain bin at a petrol station, made up of shitty Jason Statham action films or comic book adaptations which got boring in 2009. There are about five quality films on there, all of which I’ve seen, and then an endless blackhole of celluloid mediocrity. I don't watch boxsets as 99% of them are dire and I don't have the time commitment or tenacity to sit and watch 800 episodes.

These streaming services are for people who want to watch something when they get home and aren’t really that fussed what it is. They’re not for people who will carefully write down the names of films when they read a good review, or whose first response to a film they loved is to watch everything else that director ever did. They struggle to cater for people with specific tastes, who are into specific genres like Korean horrors or Ealing comedies etc. I resent paying £3-£5 for a film when I could pay £8 a month and get unlimited rentals.

Has anyone tried Cinema Paradiso? It looks like Lovefilm but is much more expensive.

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I really miss Lovefilm, anyone remember them? They apparently closed last year. For anyone who didn't use them, they offered something no one else was able to, at an affordable price: specificity. I’ve NO interest in trawling through the movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime. It’s like the DVD bargain bin at a petrol station, made up of shitty Jason Statham action films or comic book adaptations which got boring in 2009. There are about five quality films on there, all of which I’ve seen, and then an endless blackhole of celluloid mediocrity. I don't watch boxsets as 99% of them are dire and I don't have the time commitment or tenacity to sit and watch 800 episodes.

These streaming services are for people who want to watch something when they get home and aren’t really that fussed what it is. They’re not for people who will carefully write down the names of films when they read a good review, or whose first response to a film they loved is to watch everything else that director ever did. They struggle to cater for people with specific tastes, who are into specific genres like Korean horrors or Ealing comedies etc. I resent paying £3-£5 for a film when I could pay £8 a month and get unlimited rentals.

Has anyone tried Cinema Paradiso? It looks like Lovefilm but is much more expensive.

I used cinema paradisio for a while, mainly because it was cheaper. As we got into Netflix as the kids got older, I found that we just were not using is so cancelled. The service was always good. 

We used to use LoveFilm - IIRC Amazon bought it, and then eventually discontinued it.

At that time we were offered a deal on one of their Fire sticks which we took, but as you say it's not a replacement.

There is only a limited selection available with Prime and of that only a limited amount is any good. So having watched what we wanted we cancelled Prime altogether last month. You still get free delivery if the order is over £20 anyway.

The technology of streaming services is pretty good now, it's the content where it all falls down. Sign up, pay £9 or whatever, binge-watch the things you want then cancel.

Same with Netflix. We did have a Now TV stick thing but the picture quality was atrocious on some things and the interface was ugly and not especially nice to use.

Again you have to pay (again) to watch anything decent. So if I have to fork out, say, £2.50 to watch one episode or £9 to buy the series, I'll order the DVD instead. It's normally cheaper. And we have to pay for the data we use (not an unlimited connection) so in effect we pay twice to stream it.

I suppose there's just not enough money in the monthly subscriptions to fund genuinely decent content, and, when there were only four channels on the TV there was enough content to "go around" but now it's spread very thinly and the name of the game is to get or make a big series and sign people up, expect the customer churn, and then try to do the same again.

And/or rush out a new series of something hurriedly before people unsubscribe, resulting in shows with a promising pilot which are actually just slow and mostly dull (Preacher) or which fall off a cliff in season two (Orange is the New Black, The Walking Dead)

You reminded me - must cancel Netflix.

8 minutes ago, DTMark said:

And/or rush out a new series of something hurriedly before people unsubscribe, resulting in shows with a promising pilot which are actually just slow and mostly dull (Preacher) or which fall off a cliff in season two (Orange is the New Black, The Walking Dead)

You reminded me - must cancel Netflix.

The first two seasons of Preacher were excellent I thought. The 3rd series is unwatchable, utterly boring, even with the sublime Ruth Negga. 

Funny you should mention this, I watched two movies the last two nights on Netflix; Jack Reacher 2 and Robocop 2, that were both dreadful. Like so bad I wanted to turn them off. I'm not really using Netflix much any more, but then again I'm splitting a family membership so it's only a fiver a month.

I saw an advert the other week for a new streaming service that provided 'hand picked' cinematic classics, I had been meaning to ask the hive mind here if they'd used it: https://mubi.com

Edited by JoeDavola

Films must be very cheap to make - much cheaper than is generally admitted - or there is some kind of tax sink arrangement going on. Watched a Netflix WW2 movie where Vinnie Jones single-handedly shot more Germans than probably died in the entire war, and just spent the whole time thinking, how do you get funding for shite like this?

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Funny you should mention this, I watched two movies the last two nights on Netflix; Jack Reacher 2 and Robocop 2, that were both dreadful. Like so bad I wanted to turn them off. I'm not really using Netflix much any more, but then again I'm splitting a family membership so it's only a fiver a month.

I saw an advert the other week for a new streaming service that provided 'hand picked' cinematic classics, I had been meaning to ask the hive mind here if they'd used it: https://mubi.com

I'm with you on Reacher 2. I didn't expect much from it and i certainly wasn't disappointed. I only continued watching as my painful groin strain meant I couldn't be arsed to reach for the remote which was just out of reach.

Cruise makes a very poor Reacher. Big fan of the books but the suspense of belief is too big in the films, Reacher is 6'3'' 220 pounds in the books, Cruise is 5'6'' and maybe 160 pounds. The second film was utterly pants as well.

1 hour ago, eight said:

Films must be very cheap to make - much cheaper than is generally admitted - or there is some kind of tax sink arrangement going on. Watched a Netflix WW2 movie where Vinnie Jones single-handedly shot more Germans than probably died in the entire war, and just spent the whole time thinking, how do you get funding for shite like this?

I've been in a few films as a "background artiste" similar to what people generally call an extra. It's not like say F1 racing where you are nominally "there" but kept well away from everything ; on a film set everyone mixes in together and you get a very clear view of what's going on. 

The cost must be staggering merely for the hardware. All kinds of incredible camera and sound equipment connected to big trucks outside. Then all the other bits such as lighting and special effects. On top of that super professional technicians who I doubt come cheap. 

All this for a film which you can easily see is not going to be playing in packed cinemas for weeks, or even in cinemas at all. There absolutely has to be a tax scam or something going on in there. It just can't make sense at face value

Given that 99% of everything is rubbish then the more of 'everything' you have the more rubbish you have to wade through to find something good. Same applies to the endless TV channels. One of the reasons I gave up watching TV was the fact that the mere search for something watchable became a major logistical exercise.  I am certainly not going to pay to have to do it.

I can understand the convenience of Netflix but it's worth the extra effort of identifying something good to watch (word of mouth, or your own research) then "looking for it" on teh interwebs. 

LOL yes there is definitely a 'bargain bin' feel to Netflix which is somewhat at odds with its marketing, which makes out that it is a cutting edge up to the minute must-have trendy thing.

Unless I have missed it, there does not seem to be any kind of search facility either, so the actual experience of finding something is largely serendipitious, like rummaging through the big box of 50p DVDs at your local Hospice shop. 

I don't pay a penny though, as a friend has just kindly allowed me to be added to his four people allowed to use the access code! He also gave me a load of his old Viz comics, so that's the weekend sorted!

It's a bit annoying as you have to chop and change services if you'd like to watch different things. The Mrs likes the Walking Dead (which I have unceremoniously binned due to it pole-vaulting the shark about two seasons ago), whereas I like GOT, Stranger Things and Vikings so sometimes the streaming becomes rather pricey.

Occasionally we dabble with new series - We watched Jack Ryan recently. Shite, but kind of watchable, however I think when the above series finish our viewing levels will drop substantially.

Regular TV is now borderline unwatchable. The subscription services are knocking it into a cocked hat.

32 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I've been in a few films as a "background artiste" similar to what people generally call an extra. It's not like say F1 racing where you are nominally "there" but kept well away from everything ; on a film set everyone mixes in together and you get a very clear view of what's going on. 

The cost must be staggering merely for the hardware. All kinds of incredible camera and sound equipment connected to big trucks outside. Then all the other bits such as lighting and special effects. On top of that super professional technicians who I doubt come cheap. 

All this for a film which you can easily see is not going to be playing in packed cinemas for weeks, or even in cinemas at all. There absolutely has to be a tax scam or something going on in there. It just can't make sense at face value

Could be various reasons. A tax dodge, like the one that goes wrong in The Producers. Also, a lot of 'arty' films get funded by grants from things like Channel Four, the EU and various other tax-funded operations. Some films may be gambling for a low cost/high earning result, such as happened with 28 Days Later, or attempting to get 'cult' status and income for years afterwards, such as happened with Withnail and I. 

From my limited knowledge of the industry (I used to know a film producer who is reasonably well known in the industry itself but not outside it) a lot of it just seems to be massive speculation like a glorified betting shop; the producer pitches a film at the investors who take a punt in the hope of making massive profits, but most of the time most of them make losses. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

23 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Can I recommend woodworking, hell crocheting. anything, as an alternative. :D

I don't really have much time to sit down and watch a movie, maybe only 1-2 times a month do I get the chance nowadays. I suppose I could sacrifice other things if I wanted to. But going onto the next point: we are being constantly told how busy everyone's lives are now, how everyone is just so bloody busy, so why would these same people sit down and watch a mediocre movie? I don't understand it at all, why not choose something that will be enjoyable and thought-provoking -  otherwise it's a waste of your apparently very precious time. :Old:

21 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

LOL yes there is definitely a 'bargain bin' feel to Netflix which is somewhat at odds with its marketing, which makes out that it is a cutting edge up to the minute must-have trendy thing.

Unless I have missed it, there does not seem to be any kind of search facility either, so the actual experience of finding something is largely serendipitious, like rummaging through the big box of 50p DVDs at your local Hospice shop. 

I don't pay a penny though, as a friend has just kindly allowed me to be added to his four people allowed to use the access code! He also gave me a load of his old Viz comics, so that's the weekend sorted!

That's another gripe of mine. They have purposely not added a decent search function because then people will realise the complete lack of content. There have been several sites in the USA that have improved the netflix search experience markedly - but they all get threatened with lawsuits. Wonder why?

10 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

That's another gripe of mine. They have purposely not added a decent search function because then people will realise the complete lack of content. There have been several sites in the USA that have improved the netflix search experience markedly - but they all get threatened with lawsuits. Wonder why?

Logging on to Netflix to me feels like when you get on the plane for a longhaul flight to Hong Kong or something and you have that little telly in your seat. There appear to be hundreds and hundreds of films, TV programmes etc so you settle down for an entertaining 17 hours but then you find out that most of them are old crap or are in Filipino or something. 

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

My lovefilm list was a bounty of new films, Oscar-winning foreign language films (when I became jaded by seeing the same Hollywood story over and over again) and old classics that I'd never seen. 

I knocked it on the head when Amazon (deliberately) bumped the price up massively. 

You are right that the current offerings are a smorgasbord of straight-to-video crap and films that look like they were made in someone's bedroom over a weekend. 

I was intrigued by the first episode of Jack Ryan but, on reflection (having caught Platoon on ITV4 last night), it is just more vacuous crap in the same way as the last Rambo film. 

15 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Logging on to Netflix to me feels like when you get on the plane for a longhaul flight to Hong Kong or something and you have that little telly in your seat. There appear to be hundreds and hundreds of films, TV programmes etc so you settle down for an entertaining 17 hours but then you find out that most of them are old crap or are in Filipino or something. 

Oddly enough on that very theme I was looking through Netflix and Amazon Prime for things in Italian.

It's hardly a big market in the UK. But then it can't cost that much just to host some content even if few watch it.

There's almost nothing. Apart from a few films and series that I'd already bought on DVD.

2 hours ago, eight said:

Watched a Netflix WW2 movie where Vinnie Jones single-handedly shot more Germans than probably died in the entire war

I really want to watch that.

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

Could be various reasons. A tax dodge, like the one that goes wrong in The Producers. Also, a lot of 'arty' films get funded by grants from things like Channel Four, the EU and various other tax-funded operations. Some films may be gambling for a low cost/high earning result, such as happened with 28 Days Later, or attempting to get 'cult' status and income for years afterwards, such as happened with Withnail and I. 

From my limited knowledge of the industry (I used to know a film producer who is reasonably well known in the industry itself but not outside it) a lot of it just seems to be massive speculation like a glorified betting shop; the producer pitches a film at the investors who take a punt in the hope of making massive profits, but most of the time most of them make losses. 

I always wonder if Charlie Drake beat Mel Brooks to it.

We've got a borrowed netflix account. It's been absolutely great but I think we've exhausted the watchable stuff.

Currently watching Sisters.
Am up to date on Better call Saul.
And have finished The Good Place. Which was excellent.

6 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

We have a projector set up and and used to be a lovefilm user, we watched 1 DVD a week in the winter months - it was great. Good selection, select five and have the added surprise as you didn't know the order they would be delivered, and keep them as long as you needed - it suited us to a T

Now we use Netflix as the Blu Ray / DVD  player has wifi, so we play it through the projector (No TV or license).

BUT, as you highlight, Netflix is frustrating as there are few good films and a load of tripe. There are just enough good films for our viewing needs, which is about 20 films a year.

So far this year, we have enjoyed: The Party, Calvary, Bad day for the cut, Mudbound, and Pride, and, if you are not in a serious mood, I don't feel at home in this world any more and In Bruges

OK films 'just for a film' were: Beasts of No Nation and Eye in the sky.

Utter, utter rubbish: Annihilation.

So, January to September = 9 films, so probably about 20 films this year is a good estimate of Netflix's worthwhile stock for us.

We have plans to watch Wind River, Calibre, Breathe and Jason Bourne, that'll probably takes us through to November.

Edited by Hopeful

One good thing about the loss of Love Film is that a lot of their old disks are being sold off cheap on Ebay; I've had some films I wanted to see for ages, usually sold for about £1.99 inc P&P. 

I don't have a telly but do look at catch up TV sometimes. This weekend I'm going to check out ITVs new drama Strangers with John Simms and the new adaptation of Vanity Fair.

They'll both probably be sh*te but at least I don't have to pay for it. 

Edited by Austin Allegro