DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis profits slump 99% in 'challenging times'

Lightscribe

Bit of a thread crosses.

Combines 'Can the army/generals run a coutnry?' 'GE MBa are shit'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Mayfield

Outgoing CEO is an ex posh squaddy. Arrived an JL via an MBA and management consultancy.

'In 1992, Mayfield graduated from the Cranfield School of Management with a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree.[11]

He joined SmithKline Beecham as assistant product manager of Instant Horlicks.[2] He was later promoted to Marketing Manager for the Lucozade sports drink brand.[12]

In 1996, he joined McKinsey & Company as a management consultant.[1] During his time there, he worked with consumer and retail organisations.[13]

In 2000, he joined the John Lewis Partnership as head of business development.[14] He was appointed to the Board one year later as Development Director.[12] He was appointed Managing Director of John Lewis in 2005.[1] In 2007, he was appointed Deputy Chairman of the John Lewis Partnership.[15] In March 2007,[13] he became the fifth Chairman of the John Lewis Partnership.[1]

in November 2010, Mayfield was appointed to the UK Commission for Employment and Skills, a non-departmental public body, as Chairman.[13]'

Combines the worse of the worse dumb army mindset, which boils down to -  forward or backwards.

Then the stupidity of MBA/management consultancy, where they just bullshit, make things over complex and dont grasp any of the detail of a particular business.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Bit of a thread crosses.

Combines 'Can the army/generals run a coutnry?' 'GE MBa are shit'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Mayfield

Outgoing CEO is an ex posh squaddy. Arrived an JL via an MBA and management consultancy.

'In 1992, Mayfield graduated from the Cranfield School of Management with a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree.[11]

He joined SmithKline Beecham as assistant product manager of Instant Horlicks.[2] He was later promoted to Marketing Manager for the Lucozade sports drink brand.[12]

In 1996, he joined McKinsey & Company as a management consultant.[1] During his time there, he worked with consumer and retail organisations.[13]

In 2000, he joined the John Lewis Partnership as head of business development.[14] He was appointed to the Board one year later as Development Director.[12] He was appointed Managing Director of John Lewis in 2005.[1] In 2007, he was appointed Deputy Chairman of the John Lewis Partnership.[15] In March 2007,[13] he became the fifth Chairman of the John Lewis Partnership.[1]

in November 2010, Mayfield was appointed to the UK Commission for Employment and Skills, a non-departmental public body, as Chairman.[13]'

Combines the worse of the worse dumb army mindset, which boils down to -  forward or backwards.

Then the stupidity of MBA/management consultancy, where they just bullshit, make things over complex and dont grasp any of the detail of a particular business.

The rise of the management class and accompanying MBA. Tells you all you need to know about why it is crashing. 

Might have been better getting someone who actually understands the core business 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

The rise of the management class and accompanying MBA. Tells you all you need to know about why it is crashing. 

Might have been better getting someone who actually understands the core business 

All businesses are different, even business operating in the same sector.

General management advice  is useful. However, theres not much needed at a high level.

The only general good advice is to get as many of processes automated, in software, and analyse/chart the  data.

But thats too hard for 99% of MBA/consultants.

What they want to do is bullshit about strategy and bollocks which normally comes down to borrowing monet and buying another compnay. This fails in 90% of cases.

5 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Some poor data in the John Lewis element for the week 15 sales numbers. We’ll have to see whether that continues. I expect also pressure on margins based on past guidance.

http://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/content/cws/financials/weekly-figures/latest.html

I was in JL t'other day with Mrs P and kids.For all that square footage,I doubt they're clearing their wage bill on quieter days.

Waitrose has been the same.Main customers are over 65 on inflation proof incomes.If it doens't falter now,it soon will.JL failure is baked in imho.

On 13/11/2018 at 20:42, MrXxx said:

Yes, started to do this in our Waitrose so people started to double-click, result?...they have now put a barcode scanner on the machine so you only get your one drink per day...I think this is going to backfire, what with the removal of customer `special picks` items, then no free coffee from the cafe, then bring your own cup, and now the scanner...all in less than a year...people will just get tired of `jumping through another hoop` for a free coffee and start shopping elsewhere...if they really want a coffee they will buy one with the savings they have made going elsewhere!

Perimum prices demand some sort of premium product.They're selling the same stuff as everyone else for more.

On 14/11/2018 at 00:34, macca said:

Closed the one near me.. its an empty shop now.. not many who want to take on a big building in this environment,,

Quite.Big building owners are fubar .

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

I was in JL t'other day with Mrs P and kids.For all that square footage,I doubt they're clearing their wage bill on quieter days.

Waitrose has been the same.Main customers are over 65 on inflation proof incomes.If it doens't falter now,it soon will.JL failure is baked in imho.

Jl waotrose are in trouble.

Theybseem to have picked up MnS customer base.

These are tge reason why i stopped buying food in MnS - some gormless 70+ couple picking all the packets off the shelf to look for the freshest.

Then blocking the aisles

12 minutes ago, spygirl said:

These are tge reason why i stopped buying food in MnS - some gormless 70+ couple picking all the packets off the shelf to look for the freshest.

Then blocking the aisles

Why do the old retards always block the aisles? They do this in my local co-op. They literally have the trolley perpendicular to the aisle and take up the remaining space with their (usually fat) bodies. They don't even care when you try to get passed. I would kick them out of the way if I could get away with it. They are gormless erections, all.

Just now, Simon said:

Why do the old retards always block the aisles. They do this in my local co-op. They literally have the trolley perpendicular to the aisle and take up the remaining space with their (usually fat) bodies. They don't even care when you try to get passed. I would kick them out of the way if I could get away with it. They are gormless erections, all.

Because they shop as a couple.

Me or mrs do the shopping by singualry.

One or the other does it.

The other does something more worthwhile.

We dont view shopping as something to fill the day in.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Because they shop as a couple.

Me or mrs do the shopping by singualry.

One or the other does it.

The other does something more worthwhile.

We dont view shopping as something to fill the day in.

We get ours delivered now. I can only take so many supermarket visits. I suffer retards very badly.

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

Why do the old retards always block the aisles? They do this in my local co-op. They literally have the trolley perpendicular to the aisle and take up the remaining space with their (usually fat) bodies. They don't even care when you try to get passed

The ones that "drive" act the same way in the car park.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Then blocking the aisles

I was in marks a while back. Older couple kind of pushed their way in front of me as I was going to a particular cabinet. They then just stood there discussing god knows what (it’s a ready meal ffs, how hard is it?). Anyhow, I said excuse me and reached round to grab what I wanted. The pair went ballistic about rudeness and younger people. I was well pleased that they had noticed I was younger. :)

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was in marks a while back. Older couple kind of pushed their way in front of me as I was going to a particular cabinet. They then just stood there discussing god knows what (it’s a ready meal ffs, how hard is it?). Anyhow, I said excuse me and reached round to grab what I wanted. The pair went ballistic about rudeness and younger people. I was well pleased that they had noticed I was younger. :)

It happens all the time. Then they take ages at the till paying in cash. Selfish, entitled retards.

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

It happens all the time. Then they take ages at the till paying in cash. Selfish, entitled retards.

👍. It’s like they have all the time in the world and think the rest of us do too. 

23 minutes ago, One percent said:

👍. It’s like they have all the time in the world and think the rest of us do too. 

I hope my precious retirement days aren't wasted in the supermarket!

Just now, Harley said:

I hope my precious retirement days aren't wasted in the supermarket!

👍. That’s all many of them appear to do: clog up the supermarkets and bimble along at 40 miles an hour with a hat on the parcel shelf 

3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

JL failure is baked in imho

Been saying it for years, and before that for M&S.  Depends whether you're the type used to working in environments where you have to prove yourself almost every day.  If you do, you tend not to carry such organisations but see them for what they are, today.  Same with the Police, BBC, and quite a few others.  Likewise you see the new kids on the block, the ones that get it and know how to execute.  The ones that genuinely impress because you'll never of thought of it yourself.  A healthy lifecycle, government inaction permitting.

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

👍. That’s all many of them appear to do: clog up the supermarkets and bimble along at 40 miles an hour with a hat on the parcel shelf 

I hope that doesn't sum up their whole life!  I've had a 110% fantastic life and they can call my number any time no problem.  Nothing wasted, nothing deferred.  No-one cheated, no-one hurt.  Until my time, we will continue to say (originally by our medic, way before Gladiator):  One day you will die, but not today! 

3 minutes ago, Harley said:

I hope that doesn't sum up their whole life!  I've had a 110% fantastic life and they can call my number any time no problem.  Nothing wasted, nothing deferred.  No-one cheated, no-one hurt.  Until my time, we will continue to say (originally by our medic, way before Gladiator):  One day you will die, but not today! 

Mind, they do say that you should live every day as if it’s your last. It just might be. o.O

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Mind, they do say that you should live every day as if it’s your last. It just might be. o.O

That's what I'm saying.  Worked very well so far!  I'm buzzing tonight.  The wife's decided time to move on (with me!) and I'm ready.  A chapter's about to close in our book of life, a page is about to turn, and a new chapter awaits to get penned.  Now that's living!  

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

That's what I'm saying.  Worked very well so far!  I'm buzzing tonight.  The wife's decided time to move on (with me!) and I'm ready.  A chapter's about to close in our book of life, a page is about to turn, and a new chapter awaits to get penned.  Now that's living!  

Ah, you been dumped?  Onwards and upwards 👍

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Ah, you been dumped?  Onwards and upwards 👍

That's why I was careful to add:  "The wife's decided time to move on (with me!) and I'm ready".  But I now see that was not helpfully clear at all!  Oh no, we're on this adventure together!  Always have, hopefully always will be.  This is a good news story, of our own making!  You get to the point where you just say you don't want to live like whatever any more.  You take control, express your free will, embrace the unknown, and go for it.  The sense of empowerment is awesome!  No-one has to live under a hedge their whole life.

2 minutes ago, Harley said:

That's why I was careful to add:  "The wife's decided time to move on (with me!) and I'm ready".  But I now see that was not helpfully clear at all!  Oh no, we're on this adventure together!  Always have, hopefully always will be.  This is a good news story, of our own making!  You get to the point where you just say you don't want to live like whatever any more.  You take control, express your free will, embrace the unknown, and go for it.  The sense of empowerment is awesome!  No-one has to live under a hedge their whole life.

Oooh exciting. I hope you let us all know of your adventures. Sounds good and good luck with it. 👍

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Ive given up a couple of times.

There were a couple taking out all the zap curries and looking them, then putting them back.

I went away to get other stuff.

I came back 5m later and tgey were doing tge same in the pasra bit.

Theres 5 - 6 options in each cuisibe. Wgat in fuck sake do they need to discyss beyond indian or italian?

32 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ive given up a couple of times.

There were a couple taking out all the zap curries and looking them, then putting them back.

I went away to get other stuff.

I came back 5m later and tgey were doing tge same in the pasra bit.

Theres 5 - 6 options in each cuisibe. Wgat in fuck sake do they need to discyss beyond indian or italian?

Their bowels.

Their Tenants.

and their Cruises.

16 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Perimum prices demand some sort of premium product.They're selling the same stuff as everyone else for more.

Quite.Big building owners are fubar .

Yes, but I still have the `novelty` of feeling like a customer unlike the other supermarkets where I am just someone who is `getting in their way` whilst they are stacking their shelves! :-)

Archived