• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Ribs

Sorry for being a bit mumsnet.

Lad is home for his first exeat next weekend and loves ribs.

But I have never found a good recipe for seriously good smoky bbq style ribs, or even found a decent supplier of the raw ingredient. Must be fall off the bone with plenty of meat and a really good sticky sweet but sour sauce.

Any suggestions?

25 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

But I have never found a good recipe for seriously good smoky bbq style ribs, or even found a decent supplier of the raw ingredient. Must be fall off the bone with plenty of meat and a really good sticky sweet but sour sauce.

Any suggestions?

Now that may be a problem. Because the best ribs I ever ate were American, served at a USAF party - they were in another league to any ribs I've eaten before or since. Bigger, more tender, more tasty, better sauce, spicy and only a little bit sweet. And he's been in the States, I think.

If you want to spend a bit - there's this. Not cheap but a lot of meat.

https://www.pampasplains.com/beef-ribs-full-8-bone-rack.html

30 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Any suggestions?

Butcher should do them, alternatively Morrisons sell raw ribs for a couple of quid for a side.

You can get very good pork rubs. Smother it in that and leave it for a couple of hours.

Wrap the ribs in tinfoil adding a splash of coca cola for steaming purposes. Make sure they are wrapped tight then put them in the oven in a low to medium heat for about three hours.

Open the tinfoil (hot!) to release the steam and pour away excess liquid. Put them back in for ten mins just to finish them off.

Cover in filthy BBQ sauce and snip them into single ribs with scissors. 

Nom.

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Now that may be a problem. Because the best ribs I ever ate were American, served at a USAF party - they were in another league to any ribs I've eaten before or since. Bigger, more tender, more tasty, better sauce, spicy and only a little bit sweet. And he's been in the States, I think.

Will you be serving them with Yorkshire puddings & veg?

3 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The States have ribs down to an artform. I swear they do degrees in cooking them.

3 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

No. This is lad #2 who is near Loughborough. Where I had the best ribs i have had in years at http://fenwaysloughborough.co.uk

Oddly, lad #1 in the States hasn't found any decent ribs yet. But he is in the north.

10 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Will you be serving them with Yorkshire puddings & veg?

But of course. There is no meal that can't be improved by the addition of a proper YORKSHIRE pudding.

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

But of course. There is no meal that can't be improved by the addition of a proper YORKSHIRE pudding.

Best served as a starter. Oh, and sweet if people are still hungry 

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Tornado steakhouse Madison, look it up. 28 Oz ribeye served with a Yorkie. To be fair the Yorkie was shit, but what do you expect in Madison. As the waitress remarked 'we're not known for our Yorkshire puddings'

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Any suggestions?

I don't remember ever seeing ribs on the menu in the RAF. If he has the same caterer (ironically called ISIS - actually maybe it was ISS and it's just maybe dad that calls the space station ISIS?) then any ribs will taste great. 

Edited by The Generation Game

Low and slow. You need to keep the meat temperature above 71deg C to break the collegens down to gelatine that will make it really tender. You can do it covered in the oven with a small amount of liquid,  but I like to sous vide for 24 hours, then lightly smoke them, then sticky sauce and sear on the bbq.

Remember to remove the membrane on the inside before you start cooking.

Google/YouTube is your friend.

52 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Low and slow. You need to keep the meat temperature above 71deg C to break the collegens down to gelatine that will make it really tender. You can do it covered in the oven with a small amount of liquid,  but I like to sous vide for 24 hours, then lightly smoke them, then sticky sauce and sear on the bbq.

Remember to remove the membrane on the inside before you start cooking.

Google/YouTube is your friend.

Thanks Heston

7 hours ago, One percent said:

Parmos. Sorted. 

The canteen at work started doing parmos this week.

We had some Japanese visitors that day - and the bemused look on their faces when they pointed at them, asked what they were and got the reply "Parmos" was priceless.

XYY

8 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Any suggestions?

The best bbq ribs I have eaten in the UK were at a party and when I asked, they were from........

Lidl, almost exactly as you describe, perhaps not sour enough for you though

But

Why not get some of THIS sent to you - Maurice's Southern Gold is excellent

Edited by Hopeful

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

The canteen at work started doing parmos this week.

We had some Japanese visitors that day - and the bemused look on their faces when they pointed at them, asked what they were and got the reply "Parmos" was priceless.

XYY

Ah yes.

The assumption of 90% of people from boro that everyone else is from boro, drinks in swatters carr, supports boro.

(Me in Scarbs this summer)

Some scratters in shellsuits ask me:

'Do you know where we can get parmos?'

Yes. Middlesbrough'.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Ah yes.

The assumption of 90% of people from boro that everyone else is from boro, drinks in swatters carr, supports boro.

(Me in Scarbs this summer)

Some scratters in shellsuits ask me:

'Do you know where we can get parmos?'

Yes. Middlesbrough'.

Do you look like the type who stuffs his face with parmos then?  o.O

I've never eaten a parmo. Looked it up and it's origins appear to be in Italy.

However I have been to Boro.

I'm imagining a nice Italian dish transformed into a greasy stinking mess made from the sweepings of the chicken slaughterhouse floor and the sweepings of the cheese factory - is that a fair guess? Or are some of them edible?

24 minutes ago, One percent said:

Do you look like the type who stuffs his face with parmos then?  o.O

No.

I was just closest to them, so they did not have to walk further.

15 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I've never eaten a parmo. Looked it up and it's origins appear to be in Italy.

However I have been to Boro.

I'm imagining a nice Italian dish transformed into a greasy stinking mess made from the sweepings of the chicken slaughterhouse floor and the sweepings of the cheese factory - is that a fair guess? Or are some of them edible?

zpLw9N_5RpqAHGxxZp5mTEELR2qw9ZEFUXTTIUeq

Thats a michellin starred one.

They are normally/traditionally takeway, in a pizza ox, greasy as fuck.