• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Van Lady

Dosbods Island

A fun thread about dosbods buying an island, something like this:-

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/luxury/selfsufficient-scottish-island-for-sale-completely-off-the-grid-tanera-mor-comes-with-24hour-a105361.html

How would we afford to buy it. Homes we would put on it. Would any dosbods member be allowed to live there.

Would we get along or would it end up something like the lord of the flies?

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Obviously I would have to be in charge of Naval things!

Yes we'd need a decent boat and an admiral of your standing Mr Pin to organise our navy

3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Yes we'd need a decent boat and an admiral of your standing Mr Pin to organise our navy

Obviously my delusions of grandeur, are not lost here!:o

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

I would suggest a Swiss style system where decisions are made collectively through referendums

Or, there are few enough of us that we could go for direct democracy and meet in the pub to decide on things. How civilised 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

It will consist of one row boat so don't get delusions of grandeur pinny :)

My entire time in the Royal Navy was spent at HMS Spreadsheet!

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

Begging website for funding. Lay out a sob story about us being a small religious group which offers a sanctuary for small fluffy animals and donkeys. 

xD Yes the public are suckers for save the animal type stories. 

2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

xD Yes the public are suckers for save the animal type stories. 

We need to work up a narrative quick before Karl blows a blood vessel o.O

Just now, Economic Exile said:

Say half of dosbods members wanted to chip in with £50 thats about £4500 xD

Little acorns and all that. :)

one of us could volunteer to be a baker for a couple of weeks, that would bring us up to target.  I suggest Mrs xyy, she would fit right in

I think it would be a very interesting social experiment for someone to give dosbods posters an island to see how it worked out. Any millionaires on dosbods that have some small change to buy the island? No involvement or outside cameras though etc. We'd have to be left to fend for ourselves and do our own broadcasts on island life and commentary on world events.

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

I think it would be a very interesting social experiment for someone to give dosbods posters an island to see how it worked out. Any millionaires on dosbods that have some small change to buy the island? No involvement or outside cameras though etc. We'd have to be left to fend for ourselves and do our own broadcasts on island life and commentary on world events.

Nice idea. We could perhaps get a research grant, selling it as a social experiment. That will bring in at least another 5k.  

We would need to be self sufficient so that we don't need to rely on outside help.  Any farmers?  I think Spy once mentioned that he worked trawlers, so him and pinny could be sent off fishing in the rowboat. 

2 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Do they have Internet? 

Oh, that brings up another issue, we would need to set up solar panels and suchlike so that we are off the grid and not reliant on anyone else for power 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Nice idea. We could perhaps get a research grant, selling it as a social experiment. That will bring in at least another 5k.  

We would need to be self sufficient so that we don't need to rely on outside help.  Any farmers?  I think Spy once mentioned that he worked trawlers, so him and pinny could be sent off fishing in the rowboat. 

I'm good at gardening. Polytunnels would be required there though. Chickens would be easy enough and maybe some sheep. Not sure how big the island is for people, crops and sheep. Someone good at working out space would need to look at that.

3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I'm good at gardening. Polytunnels would be required there though. Chickens would be easy enough and maybe some sheep. Not sure how big the island is for people, crops and sheep. Someone good at working out space would need to look at that.

Well we have sarge who I think is a landscaper, so he might help.  We also have a resident beekeeper, but can't remember who it is. Heather honey, nectar of the gods. 

I tend to kill plants but good at diy and decorating.  

Pinny can do a dual role of mending machinery. 

Hold your horses.  It is in Scotland fer Chris' sake.  Can't we find someplace nearer the equator with sunshine.  (and half a chance of growing more than heather and thistles).  

Sarah bell is a beekeeper. Sgt Hartman would be good with the land and keep us entertained round the camp fire with his tales. He could also install stoves xD Growing willow for fuel?

Just now, Snow bird said:

Hold your horses.  It is in Scotland fer Chris' sake.  Can't we find someplace nearer the equator with sunshine.  (and half a chance of growing more than heather and thistles).  

Thistle soup is good and heather is lucky, what's the problem snowy?  :D

Just now, Economic Exile said:

Sarah bell is a beekeeper. Sgt Hartman would be good with the land and keep us entertained round the camp fire with his tales. He could also install stoves xD Growing willow for fuel?

Excellent, we have a lot of skills on here. I wonder what others could contribute?  I bet we have a lot of skilled and talented people on here 

1 minute ago, Snow bird said:

No reason why we can't have more than one island for a social experiment. Are people happier/get better results in a sunnier place when attempting self sufficiency.