• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Must have smartphone

On a more serious note - smartphone or not, there aren't any jobs out there. Less people go shopping on the high street, so where are the jobs?

15 minutes ago, 201p said:

On a more serious note - smartphone or not, there aren't any jobs out there. Less people go shopping on the high street, so where are the jobs?

Whenever I've been to the job centre the lack of "decent" jobs is fairly shocking. It's easy to criticise the unemployed as being lazy, however at the same time the jobs aren't really there. 

27 minutes ago, 201p said:

On a more serious note - smartphone or not, there aren't any jobs out there. 

Probably not much on offer for a 56 year old white man unless he has some specific skills.

8 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

Probably not much on offer for a 56 year old white man unless he has some specific skills.

Exactly, I didn't want to say it but as you did, yeah. Maybe he could get some money driving a taxi or a minibus for a school before AI takes hold? That's certainly what I would try and do at that point.

41 minutes ago, 201p said:

Amazon warehouses, until the robot pickers are rolled out.

6 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

he should get a job testing chips, looks like he's well qualified.

I'd love a job like that. And taste testing crisps and beers. B|

Well done to the guy for speaking his mind. He's got enough hardware to ensure he can conduct his job search. Why on Earth did the advisor say that? o.O He needs to be spoken to by his superiors as there will be some who may follow the advise and unnecessarily get themselves in a financial pickle. >:(

12 minutes ago, 201p said:

Exactly, I didn't want to say it but as you did, yeah. Maybe he could get some money driving a taxi or a minibus for a school before AI takes hold? That's certainly what I would try and do at that point.

Something like that, or home help for the elderly with tax credits to top up the income.

17 minutes ago, Kilham said:

Amazon warehouses, until the robot pickers are rolled out.

I can't see him walking 10 miles a day in there -3 strikes and your out thing.

Unfortunately that guy is most likely stuffed. I don’t know his backstory regarding work history. I’m assuming he has worked and is trying to get another a job?

All I can say to him is I wish you well but you’re going to struggle because the lack of jobs out there is very real!

4 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Unfortunately that guy is most likely stuffed. I don’t know his backstory regarding work history. I’m assuming he has worked and is trying to get another a job?

All I can say to him is I wish you well but you’re going to struggle because the lack of jobs out there is very real!

I was told there were no jobs in NI 10 years ago , 100,000 Eastern Europeans moved here and got jobs 

The locals still say there are no jobs 

Hard circle to square 

1 hour ago, 201p said:

The 56-year-old called the request “offensive… on many levels”.

Excellent

I hope he called South Yorkshire police to report it.

15 minutes ago, Malthus said:

I was told there were no jobs in NI 10 years ago , 100,000 Eastern Europeans moved here and got jobs 

The locals still say there are no jobs 

Hard circle to square 

IMO the locals can’t compete with what EE’s are willing to be paid!

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

IMO the locals can’t compete with what EE’s are willing to be paid!

Na , just think they above working on a food processing factory because they got 1 gcse 😀😀

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

Na , just think they above working on a food processing factory because they got 1 gcse 😀😀

Leaving aside the generational benefit seekers in my area I don’t see the workers in the area turning up their nose at work.

As I mentioned upthread the job centre tick box expectation is that a job seeker currently must be prepared to travel up to a return journey of three hours to earn minimum wage.

I’m assuming you want to work to support yourself so would you be happy to embrace that scenario? 

For the record I would not be at all happy to have a three hour daily commute for minimum wage. I doubt I’m alone in feeling rage about that situation!

Hopefully I won’t be in that situation but if I was I could possibly flip and perhaps assault a job centre employee because of the utter insanity of that scenario. If it’s minimum wage it would have to be walking distance for me.

2 hours ago, 201p said:

London admittedly, but my daughter is on a gap year before uni and looking for full time work locally (London suburbs) and there are absolutely tons of retail jobs out there - she gets interviews within one day and job offer the next, had several. Admittedly they don't pay a lot for London living costs but some almost £10 per hour.