• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

stokiescum

how dead is your local

well mines dying a slow death,midweek between 6-10 and 2-3 most dinners.to be fair if the darts or a big game is on there can be 3 times more.friday and saturday nights seem ok sun night its dead again.the clientel is mainly 40-75 and its a very tory pub by that i mean any one shouting about how great labour are is likley to be called out and derided in spite of the city being a bastion of labourness.no one will admit voteing to stay in europe which to be fair does tally with the reputed 9th highest out vote.

my pub has no live music,no juke box the cheapest bitter is around 2.50 and guiness it 3.30.and the only food is peanuts,crisps or scratchings no kids or pikeys and no pool table.i like it there but i cant see how it can last much longer.but to be fair he does a lot of guest ales

Edited by stokiescum

10 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

well mines dying a slow death,midweek between 6-10 and 2-3 most dinners.to be fair if the darts or a big game is on there can be 3 times more.friday and saturday nights seem ok sun night its dead again.the clientel is mainly 40-75 and its a very tory pub by that i mean any one shouting about how great labour are is likley to be called out and derided in spite of the city being a bastion of labourness.no one will admit voteing to stay in europe which to be fair does tally with the reputed 9th highest out vote.

my pub has no live music,no juke box the cheapest bitter is around 2.50 and guiness it 3.30.and the only food is peanuts,crisps or scratchings no kids or pikeys and no pool table.i like it there but i cant see how it can last much longer.but to be fair he does a lot of guest ales

Depends if he owns the pub outright or a slave to the brewery?

My local pub has a flat roof, about three different beers (hard to tell, most of the taps are not connected) and the till never seems to have any change in it. They always seem a bit surprised by me walking in. A few old blokes and maybe some young drug dealer/moped thief types, who seem fairly respectful for some reason.

Edited by Panther

Just now, stokiescum said:

his,his dad owned it first.

Ah he might be able to keep it a float then.  Won't make him a millionaire but if he enjoys the work and the banter with the customers then its not a bad living.  Sounds like the customers will take care of any rowdies. 

My local,  busy early evening with trades men because it has a car park. Quiet by mid evening unless football or band on.

All drinks £1.50 more than spoons, 200 yards away. Young people rare in both of them. 

I was talking to a male friend yesterday (it’s relevant as I think men use pubs differently to women). We used to knock about in a gang when we were in our teens/twenties.  Our social life revolved round the pubs - small town, not much else to do, other than killing ourselves on motorbikes. 

Anyhow, I left, he stayed in town.  He was moaning that he never went into town to the pubs anymore as they were full of white settlers and he didn’t know anyone in them these days.

Sad, the whole thing has changed and when there are no tourists, (8 months of the year) the pubs are dead.  

Mine is the infamous Sugar Hut. Id say it could burn down for all I care, but I think the owners have already tried that as an insurance scam. Allegedly.

The only pubs I would bother with within walking distance are breakfast to late lunch only for me: Weatherspoons and a chain carvery, cant remember the name. The only local local pubs near me with any character, as opposed to poseur meat markets, have long since closed.

4 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Mine is the infamous Sugar Hut. Id say it could burn down for all I care, but I think the owners have already tried that as an insurance scam. Allegedly.

The only pubs I would bother with within walking distance are breakfast to late lunch only for me: Weatherspoons and a chain carvery, cant remember the name. The only local local pubs near me with any character, as opposed to poseur meat markets, have long since closed.

Oohhh.

6 minutes ago, Melchett said:

http://sugarhutbrentwood.com/

pit looks lovely. O.o  is that where TOWIE hang out?  o.O

i live near lhauuuuton. (Well that’s how it’s pronounced) which is another TOWIE haunt. Used to be posh back in the day. 

I had two locals, one a proper drinkers pub, the other a "gastro" pub. Both always busy, both strangely enough served good beer and food. Only difference was the client base and the prices.

The drinkers pub is shut for redevelopment into, you guessed it, another fucking "gastro" pub with presumably a new menu I won't understand and higher beer prices.

Most the locals that closed down around my way always seemed to get a reasonable trade, but managed to get planning to turn into houses....more profit I guess,

OTOH, one pub that keeps trying for planning permission, and failing (its the one remaining pub in a largish village) is dead...but stays open. People say the landlord tries to be as anti-social as possible, in the hope that he eventually gets planning due to zero trade (he has no sign on the outside, it isnt lit up, he doesnt do food-despite a huge eating area, and has rather politically incorrect political views.

So I think a lot of it isnt so much poor trade (around here at least) its just carpetbagging. Get permission for a half dozen houses and become an overnight millionaire. 

My dad an my uncle go for a couple of pints at their local most Friday nights. It used to be my local up to 8 years ago. There could be as many as a dizzying 5 patrons in there. The same pub got a refurb 20 years ago and it was really popular back then.

I think there is a fair crowd in there on Saturday afternoons during the football season as matches are screened. My dad and I used to go there for occasional pub grub but since the idiot tenant landlord no longer takes debit card payments my dad refuses to go there any more. 

3 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

My dad an my uncle go for a couple of pints at their local most Friday nights. It used to be my local up to 8 years ago. There could be as many as a dizzying 5 patrons in there. The same pub got a refurb 20 years ago and it was really popular back then.

I think there is a fair crowd in there on Saturday afternoons during the football season as matches are screened. My dad and I used to go there for occasional pub grub but since the idiot tenant landlord no longer takes debit card payments my dad refuses to go there any more. 

Local round here does a happy hour 2-6, any pint you want £2. Makes you wonder how much profit these pubs charging £4.80 make. 

35 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://sugarhutbrentwood.com/

pit looks lovely. O.o  is that where TOWIE hang out?  o.O

i live near lhauuuuton. (Well that’s how it’s pronounced) which is another TOWIE haunt. Used to be posh back in the day. 

Loughton? Or Luton. 

Loughtons seems a funny place. well, not Loughton specifically, but the 'towns' around that part of Epping Forest. I was down there for a week late last summer. Very nice in some parts, but blends into shithole central elsewhere. Chingford mount road, i think it was, was entertaining. Sat in the wetherspoons watching the 'asians' race up and down, nearly hitting someone every now and then. Also, every single night I walked back through the woods, there was some sort of commotion, fighting, shagging, small groups of slavic men drunkenly shouting. And every night some Horray Henry in one of the large terraces leaning out his window shouting "WILL YOU SHUT UP, MY DAUGHTER IS TRYING TO SLEEP" That was between a road called "Forest Side and Epping New Road"

Not sure if the is a lot of trouble in the forest...i believe some Turkish mafia type buried a rival there a few years back. 

1 minute ago, PatronizingGit said:

Loughton? Or Luton. 

Loughtons seems a funny place. well, not Loughton specifically, but the 'towns' around that part of Epping Forest. I was down there for a week late last summer. Very nice in some parts, but blends into shithole central elsewhere. Chingford mount road, i think it was, was entertaining. Sat in the wetherspoons watching the 'asians' race up and down, nearly hitting someone every now and then. Also, every single night I walked back through the woods, there was some sort of commotion, fighting, shagging, small groups of slavic men drunkenly shouting. And every night some Horray Henry in one of the large terraces leaning out his window shouting "WILL YOU SHUT UP, MY DAUGHTER IS TRYING TO SLEEP" That was between a road called "Forest Side and Epping New Road"

Not sure if the is a lot of trouble in the forest...i believe some Turkish mafia type buried a rival there a few years back. 

Loughton. 20, no 5 years ago, Chingford mount was a very different place. 99 percent east end done good. One of the Crays is buried in Chingford mount cemetery. That’s how east end it was until that long ago. 

2 hours ago, stokiescum said:

have two 'local' village pubs (I live midway between two villages) - I don't visit either pub.

They are both owned by Punch Taverns. The tenancy has changed hands every other year for about 10 years. Poor mugs come in with their dream idea of running a pub (why is that ever a dream with the ghastly hours, I'll never know) and get fleeced by the landlord with a ridiculous rent of about 40k pa. Neither pub is viable as the villages are tiny, but Punch Taverns will never sell the properties as they are worth at least a million apiece  beause of their location and so, I expect they are used as an asset to raise money.

The most successful pub near me is packed out every night. If you want to eat there you have to book a couple of weeks in advance. If you went to a bank for a loan with their business model you'd be shown the door because

1) Same six dishes and only six dishes on the menu for 40+ years. Only one dish on a sunday. Many people go there and eat the same dish every visit.

2) Only open evenings

2) Only one beer (served from the barrel), one lager on tap and one cider on tap. House red and house white. Spirits. That's it.

3) No music - ever

4) No mobile phones - ever

5) Only cash

6) Only 40 covers.

Freehold, Packed out, always a buzz of conversation.

Edited by Hopeful

All three of the pubs within a hundred yards of me in Toronto are really busy most of the time with people of all ages. But then we’re generally about 20 years behind everywhere else so I suppose it’s only a matter of time before they shut down and get replaced by charity shops. 

34 minutes ago, One percent said:

Loughton. 20, no 5 years ago, Chingford mount was a very different place. 99 percent east end done good. One of the Crays is buried in Chingford mount cemetery. That’s how east end it was until that long ago. 

all five of them are there,both twins the elder brother charlie and mum and dad.

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

all five of them are there,both twins the elder brother charlie and mum and dad.

Ah, ta.  I just remember the one from about ten years ago. The whole area ground to a halt 

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

have two 'local' vilage pubs (I live midway between two villages) - I don't visit either pub.

They are both owned by Punch Taverns. The tenancy has changed hands every other year for about 10 years. Poor mugs come in with their dream idea of running a pub (why is that ever a dream with the ghastly hours, I'll never know) and get fleeced by the landlord with a ridiculouse rent of about 40k pa. Neither pub is viable as the villages are tiny, but Punch Taverns will never sell the properties as they are worth at least a million apiece  beause of their location and so i expect they are used to as an asset to raise money.

The most successful pub near me is packed out every night. If you want to eat there you have to book a couple of weeks in advance. If you went to a bank for a lona with their business model you'd be shown the door because

1) Same six dishes and only six dishes on the menu for 40+ years. Only one dish on a sunday. Many people go there and eat the same dish every visit.

2) Only open evenings

2) Only one beer (served from the barrel), one lager on tap and one cider on tap. House red and house white. Spirits. That's it.

3) No music - ever

4) No mobile phones - ever

5) Only cash

6) Only 40 covers.

Freehold, Packed out, always a buzz of conversation.

Sounds like Sam Smiths. My own village has been held back in the dark age by them as they own nearly everything and wont develop nor sell. My real local (in the village) has recently closed. It did no food.  The nearby hotel could be fantastic but they wont even put TVs in the rooms nor promote. There are no desserts on their menu. The garage next door is owned by them too and has been derelict for years and the cafe and old shop I can only vaguely remember being open in my early youth, so  more than 40 years ago. All owned by the brewery I understand.

Add to this the manor house (hall) which I can never remember being anything but derelict. The brewery don't own this (now purchased by the council) but every time anyone starts to develop it they end up in planning disputes with the council. The last one has lasted at least 10 years and no resolution yet,  just deadlock. As a result the buildings that were made good in the grounds are now also derelict and the chestnut tree (best one in the area) has been cut down. the manor house built 1700 is of historical significance.