• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

The big mental bride thread

I thought that the whole point of getting married abroad was that you didn’t have to invite all the idiots you call friends and family.  If you did, most would cry off and you would breathe a sigh of relief. 

Am I out of touch?  

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I thought that the whole point of getting married abroad was that you didn’t have to invite all the idiots you call friends and family.  If you did, most would cry off and you would breathe a sigh of relief. 

Am I out of touch?  

Yes by my recent experience.

Ive not heard of a cheap none ott wedding for ages.

All the weddings i know of involve people of average means blowing 50k+

Fucking mental.

12 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Fucking mental.

Feck. o.O

i have a ladder for when my two decide to tie the knot. 

16 minutes ago, One percent said:

Am I out of touch?  

That was the way; if you didn't want a huge wedding then you went to Barbados and said it was a small event with only immediate family and friends so nobody felt aggrieved at not being invited.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Just to point out the obvious that no guy cares about the size of the wedding, or even that it occurs at all particularly.

But the brides and bridesmaids boobs...

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

That was the way; if you didn't want a huge wedding then you went to Barbados and said it was a small event with only immediate family and friends so nobody felt aggrieved at not being invited.

If you wanted a small wedding you hired the village and did booze cruise aldi for drinks.

14 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Fucking mental.

I heard £20k for the last one and that was bad enough.  All blown in one day.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Just to point out the obvious that no guy cares about the size of the wedding, or even that it occurs at all particularly.

Indeed.

The best I have heard said for it was one chap who "quite liked" being the centre of attention for the day.

Though for £20k / £50k I would still be rather disappointed with that return.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

My in laws are so tight (they have plenty of money - he’s an ex primary head, retired early fifties, never spend a bean) that they refused to contribute a penny to their own daughters wedding. 

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Indeed.

The best I have heard said for it was one chap who "quite liked" being the centre of attention for the day.

Id bet he turns out to be gay.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Indeed.

My brothers wedding cost about 30k 2 decades ago, divorce cost closer to 250k a few years later. Serves the fucker right though he's a prick.

Just now, One percent said:

My in laws are so tight (they have plenty of money - he’s an ex primary head, retired early fifties, never spend a bean) that they refused to contribute a penny to their own daughters wedding. 

If her and her husband are in their thirties then that sounds entirely fair.  If they're twenty then it's mean; with a steady gradation from there.

A chap who used to work for me, then in his fifties, attracted his second wife (when married) partly upon a show of affluence and bottomless pockets.

I knew, even if his new wife didn't, that it just wasn't there because I knew his career from his CV and he'd never been that senior and had recently had several years' unemployment which he would have sold as "not needing to work"; but he did. His flash cars with private plates that he regularly changed were actually about ten years' old and the private plates were to hide their age.

He however continued to play the rich man with a big house and family parties at his.

He related to me how his step daughter kept coming down to see his wife to plan every aspect of her (step daughter's) increasingly expensive wedding whilst he had to keep up the image of the rich man happy to pay for it but privately blanching inside at the cost.

He ended up downsizing to a much smaller house primarily to stop all the family occasions happening at his house and being funded by him.

4 minutes ago, Banned said:

My brothers wedding cost about 30k 2 decades ago, divorce cost closer to 250k a few years later. Serves the fucker right though he's a prick.

:D

7 minutes ago, Banned said:

Poorer prick....

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If her and her husband are in their thirties then that sounds entirely fair.  If they're twenty then it's mean; with a steady gradation from there.

A chap who used to work for me, then in his fifties, attracted his second wife (when married) partly upon a show of affluence and bottomless pockets.

I knew, even if his new wife didn't, that it just wasn't there because I knew his career from his CV and he'd never been that senior and had recently had several years' unemployment which he would have sold as "not needing to work"; but he did. His flash cars with private plates that he regularly changed were actually about ten years' old and the private plates were to hide their age.

He however continued to play the rich man with a big house and family parties at his.

He related to me how his step daughter kept coming down to see his wife to plan every aspect of her (step daughter's) increasingly expensive wedding whilst he had to keep up the image of the rich man happy to pay for it but privately blanching inside at the cost.

He ended up downsizing to a much smaller house primarily to stop all the family occasions happening at his house and being funded by him.

:D

They were fresh out of uni.  Then when I got married, they kept adding to guest list. People I didn’t know and expected others (me and my family) to stump up the money.  Not impressed by their generosity.  o.O

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

They were fresh out of uni.  Then when I got married, they kept adding to guest list. People I didn’t know and expected others (me and my family) to stump up the money.  Not impressed by their generosity.  o.O

Yes mean then.

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Really? Putting their mates on the invites?? Thats wierd.

My nutty ex took me to a wedding of one of her female friends. At the reception, during the speeches, the bride's father was asked if he had anything nice to say about his daughter.

"No." came the reply.

If I knew then what I know today I would have ditched my nutty ex soon after.

A few of my friends are getting married (early 30s). I really have no desire to ever get married myself but if I ever do then it'll be one of those things I'd want to spend maximum of a couple of thousand on. The rich neighbour's daughter got married the other week and the marquee alone cost £12k to hire.... she's only ~20 years old as well,  what a waste... I'd much rather spend that on a new garage :ph34r:

From a man's pov Seems to be a contagion type thing where you go to a friend's wedding and think maybe I should get married too..

11 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Really? Putting their mates on the invites?? Thats wierd.

No. They have no mates. Distant rellies I haven’t met before or since. But as you say weird expecting others to stump up for it

Just now, spunko said:

A few of my friends are getting married (early 30s). I really have no desire to ever get married myself but if I ever do then it'll be one of those things I'd want to spend maximum of a couple of thousand on. The rich neighbour's daughter got married the other week and the marquee alone cost £12k to hire.... she's only ~20 years old as well,  what a waste... I'd much rather spend that on a new garage :ph34r:

I've always noticed that those who had the most extravagant and lavish weddings always ended up married for the shortest amount of time.

Lavish weddings are driven by women who are solely obsessed with getting married, everything afterwards is an anti-climax to them mentally.

Eventually it drives them to divorce so they can repeat the process or drives them into becoming DOSBODS.

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

I've always noticed that those who had the most extravagant and lavish weddings always ended up married for the shortest amount of time.

Lavish weddings are driven by women who are solely obsessed with getting married, everything afterwards is an anti-climax to them mentally.

Eventually it drives them to divorce so they can repeat the process or drives them into becoming DOSBODS.

Yeah her mother is a double divorcee. Did alright out of it though her house is a manor...

Did wonder if it was some sort of posh preservation thing where the daughter needs to get married asap to some rich man.

11 minutes ago, spunko said:

From a man's pov Seems to be a contagion type thing where you go to a friend's wedding and think maybe I should get married too..

Ott weddings are long gone as a sign of wealth.

Just a sign of access to credit which is anti-wealth.

Ditto flash cars.

8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Early this summer i was staying in one of my regular places in the sw.

I was heading back to train on saturday and norpticed a convoy of coaches on the market. Fuck.they cant park there - the market was on.

Then the guests came out of the guildhall - all very expensive dressed i.e just bought clothes. So i hung around to see the happy couple.

5m later thus short fat old (late 30s) bride came out, spraytan brown - think rough hairdresser. Dressed in white - god will know.

Id hate to be the poor fucker who paid for that. Or got married to the bride.

35 minutes ago, spunko said:

marquee alone cost £12k to hire.... she's only ~20 years old as well,  what a waste... I'd much rather spend that on a new garage :ph34r:

Fooking hell. Too right. Spend it on something that'll last longer :-D