• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chewing Grass

Hayfever/Allergys

For the last 3 years about this time I have put up with a cough/clogged sinuses and a slightly tight chest. This year I have come to the conclusion that it must be a hayfever type mild allergy to something like tree or oilseed pollen in the air.

Anyone currently the same or have an idea which tree/plant is probably the culprit over the last 3 weeks or so?

Don't know enough about it to identify specific pollens. But I tend to suffer slightly most years, this year this week is particularly bad for me. The wet spell last week and the warm weather this week must be sending pollen levels spiking high.

I have noticed lots of oilseed rape in the fields. I was told by a doctor in the 70s when I was first diagnosed with asthma that the growing of that crop in Europe was subject to restrictions about not growing it near towns. I think trees tend to pollinate earlier in the year, I could be wrong.

Depending on where you are I'd say it's more likely grass pollen and dust from hay making than oilseed rape. Is the rape still in flower around you? Ours went over about 2-3 weeks ago but I'm in the SW so if you're up North then possibly. Rape is a very cloying type of pollen though - I find it really distinctive, so even though I don't suffer from it, I'm very aware of when it's around.

Grass pollen is my bug bear, and I'm starting to suffer from that now.

I get it too, May > Sept. My guess would be on Pine pollen, but that doesn't account for the july / aug / sept period met office pollen forecast Not really sure. Not very pleasant, but I find eating a clove of garlic every day keeps the symptoms in check. I walk through oil seed regularly without problem, but climbing in a leylandii is torture.

Edited by Caravan Monster

58 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

For the last 3 years about this time I have put up with a cough/clogged sinuses and a slightly tight chest. This year I have come to the conclusion that it must be a hayfever type mild allergy to something like tree or oilseed pollen in the air.

Anyone currently the same or have an idea which tree/plant is probably the culprit over the last 3 weeks or so?

Grass pollen.
Timothy perhaps.

26 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Grass pollen.
Timothy perhaps.

Bit early for that was thinking more like a certain tree as theres a lot more of them round me than there used to be now theyre not trimmed or cut down, even the mororway embankments are covered in them.

15 minutes ago, SCC said:

London's plane trees seem to get me around this time.

Might be of use?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/3354723/Whats-giving-you-hay-fever.html

Good spot, this bit is interesting, 'with more people living in cities, a greater slice of the population is now exposed to diesel fumes, to which pollen also binds itself.'

In all probability its a heady mix of oak, birch and diesel rather than plane trees as we don't really have the up here.

3 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Yes, my sinuses go crap this time of year. It is all sorts of pollen from grass to flowers to trees.  Probably severval cause yours. Try sticking your nostrils over a steaming kettle and inhaling the steam, then massaging your sinuses around your forehead and sides of your nose to get things moving. I also find taking a mouthful of hot chilli sauce or mustard helps enormously also.

It took me three years to identify that I had an allergy and I went along for the pin-prick tests which identified it - house dust mite. It couldn't simply be a co-incidence three years in a row.

However that's fine at this time of the year so it won't be that, but anti-histamine sees off the asthma, sinuses, itching. Benadryl (Acrivastine, not the Cetirizine) seems to work well for most people. Cetirizine can make you so drowsy you can barely stand.

I was allergic to grass pollen until I was maybe 30, then it went away but I do recall what a misery it can be.

You can buy decongestant tablets in the supermarket - no caffeine or extra ingredients, just decongestant, and it works.

Worth doing the test if you want the certainty of knowing what is troubling you. They do test for specific plants/trees. Might even be able to buy the kits online and DIY.

On the other hand, the Benadryl tablets aren't going to do you any harm and if, 10 minutes after taking it (it is that quick), the symptoms have gone, you'll know it's allergy.

41 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Mine improved since cutting out wheat - I think it was grass pollen most affected me.

Yeah I've noticed diet is definitely related to the hayfever symptoms.

It's not the whole story but so far this year I am avoiding gluten (though not 100% gluten-free) and have taken no hayfever meds yet (last few years it's been steroid injections, steroid nasal sprays, antihistamine tabs etc so no meds is a big change) Still have some hayfever symptoms but manageable so far.

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Think I will avoid the literal implementation of that on personal health and safety grounds.

It works. I do it. You just have to boil the kettle until it is steamings, turn it off, close your eyes and briefly hover your nose over the rising steam - vapour. You will feel the inside of your nose moisten and you will be able to give it a good blow too remove lots of pollen that is the problem.

Repeat several times, do the massage I mentioned earlier, and you will begin to loosen and remove the pollen which is causing the problem.

20 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It works. I do it. You just have to boil the kettle until it is steamings, turn it off, close your eyes and briefly hover your nose over the rising steam - vapour. You will feel the inside of your nose moisten and you will be able to give it a good blow too remove lots of pollen that is the problem.

Repeat several times, do the massage I mentioned earlier, and you will begin to loosen and remove the pollen which is causing the problem.

Or put some in a cup and put a towel over your head.

Felt shit outside on the way to the supermarket, great inside, the chiller isles were blissfull, relapsed on the way home.

Allergy tablet downed now so we will see what happens over the weekend.

Not been like this since I was a teen and that was a long time ago.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Or put some in a cup and put a towel over your head.

Is that how all this towel on head stuff really started? Hayfever?

26 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Felt shit outside on the way to the supermarket, great inside, the chiller isles were blissfull, relapsed on the way home.

Allergy tablet downed now so we will see what happens over the weekend.

Not been like this since I was a teen and that was a long time ago.

Bit of a bummer if it turns out you are allergic to grass. You need to change your diet. :)

I seem to recall trying manuka honey and it didn't do much, never tried local honey but if you travel round the country a lot won't help much.

Another natural thing I tried was a salt pipe, which didn't seem to do much. However there definitely is something in salt remedies as symptoms definitely improved with sea air and putting a saturated brine solution round my eyes did definitely help.

I get it shockingly for a good few weeks, end of May-June - it's just starting up.

Mine appears to be those hedges (the ones with the small white flowers) that everyone has around their houses.

Had it since a teenager and just used to it now, fucks me off no end.

Tried all the medicines, Loratadine appears to be only one that seems to knock it on the head.

7 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I seem to recall trying manuka honey and it didn't do much, never tried local honey but if you travel round the country a lot won't help much.

Another natural thing I tried was a salt pipe, which didn't seem to do much. However there definitely is something in salt remedies as symptoms definitely improved with sea air and putting a saturated brine solution round my eyes did definitely help.

A few years ago I bought some royal jelly - bloody expensive but supposedly brilliant for the health. Mixed it up with muesli and natural yoghurt.

Jesus christ. After about 30 minutes I started having the most severe allergic reaction I've ever had in my life. My whole body felt like it was throbbing. After 40 minutes my lips started blowing up like Mick Jaggers, and after 45 minutes I made myself puke to try to put a stop to it.

To my eternal shame, the next day I figured it couldn't have been somehting as natural as royal jelly that caused it, so did the same again. I will not make the same mistake a third time.

I'm sure local honey is probably really good. Just don't believe what those twats on the internet tell you about royal jelly. Fucking stuff should come with a health warning.

I suffered for years when I lived in London. It would start in around June and carry on through to late August. Utter misery - but never my eyes just sinuses so I never made the connection.  I cut out milk products completely one year, and it eliminated about 90% of the symptoms. 

When I was tested (and try to get it done on NHS as there are all kinds of quacks out there pretending to test for allergies), it came back as house dust mite - which I am very sensitive to. As I said earlier, plane trees definitely set me off and I think aggravating factors are air pollution, stress and dairy products.