• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Amazon Fire TV stick - pure evil!

I got one of these for 20 bucks in an Amazon sale as a possible replacement for the 8 year old Apple TV I use to drive my smart TV (the built in apps are flaky so I don’t bother with them). Anyway, the functionality is good but it destroys your network. I have no idea what the damn thing is doing but the moment it’s swicthed on it immediately starts uploading and downloading at pretty much the full capacity of my 100/10 cable connection. My first thought was that it had been hacked in some way - it puts up a  local wifi hotspot for no obvious reason so that’s a possible vector - but, even after a firmware update and a full set of password changes it’s still at it. 

Steer clear is my advice!

The Fire stick is designed to use all your bandwidth. Yes, you read that right. It works out whether it can stream in 720, 1080 or, horror if you have the 4K stick, then in 4K.

Most of the UK network is not 4K capable and if you have a non fibre connection then even 1080P is an issue.

Move to South Korea and it should be fine.

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

em maybe it doesnt like posh tvs,im watching ramstein on mine at the moment

Check what it’s doing to your network when you’re not using it to watch TV is my advice. Even with the smart TV powered off the damn thing is slurping data! 

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

The Fire stick is designed to use all your bandwidth. Yes, you read that right. It works out whether it can stream in 720, 1080 or, horror if you have the 4K stick, then in 4K.

Most of the UK network is not 4K capable and if you have a non fibre connection then even 1080P is an issue.

Move to South Korea and it should be fine.

This is when I’m not using it to watch TV. And I have plenty of bandwidth too - 100 mb down, 10 up.

Anyway, it just met it’s maker after a brief encounter with a hammer and is now resting at the bottom of my rubbish bin. I’ll  stick with my Apple TV which streams Amazon content just fine and barely touches the networ when not being used.

This is where having a proper router is useful -- set it to a max % of available bandwidth.

But there is now an assumption that your data is theirs to use.  This is a bit presumptive of them, but I guess the only solution is to use someone else's product.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

This is where having a proper router is useful -- set it to a max % of available bandwidth.

But there is now an assumption that your data is theirs to use.  This is a bit presumptive of them, but I guess the only solution is to use someone else's product.

Indeed. That’s the last piece of Amazon hardware I ever buy, glad it was only 20 CAD.

The Wi-Fi hotspot it creates is for the remote, yes I know sledgehammer for nuts, and drains the controller batteries every few weeks.

I don't notice either of ours using any bandwidth when not in use.

Edited by snaga

2 minutes ago, snaga said:

The Wi-Fi hotspot it creates is for the remote, yes I know sledgehammer for nuts, and drains the controller batteries every few weeks.

I don't notice either of ours using any bandwidth when not in use.

Keep checking. I assumed mine was just updating or something and would stop after a few hours but, aside from a few quieter periods, it did it constantly for a month to the extent that other stuff using the network was being noticeably slowed down.

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

Keep checking. I assumed mine was just updating or something and would stop after a few hours but, aside from a few quieter periods, it did it constantly for a month to the extent that other stuff using the network was being noticeably slowed down.

I check regulary, I use a gaming router and throttle many devices, I can't run historic reports, but in realtime I have never seen traffic of any significance from firesticks when not in use. Perhaps yours was just downloading new firmware?

23 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

This is when I’m not using it to watch TV. And I have plenty of bandwidth too - 100 mb down, 10 up.

Anyway, it just met it’s maker after a brief encounter with a hammer and is now resting at the bottom of my rubbish bin. I’ll  stick with my Apple TV which streams Amazon content just fine and barely touches the networ when not being used.

It still hogs your bandwidth.

29 minutes ago, snaga said:

I check regulary, I use a gaming router and throttle many devices, I can't run historic reports, but in realtime I have never seen traffic of any significance from firesticks when not in use. Perhaps yours was just downloading new firmware?

That was my assumption but, after checking regularly - my router will give me a 24 hour history for each connected device, there was clearly something more happening.

4 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

That's strange because whatever it's up/downloading to will be costing them too.

Yes, I guess it's not a problem with all Fire sticks or they'd have fixed it by now. 

Xyy trigger alert.

I have a smart phonr. Mainly voice n text n whatsapp. The other stuff is for emergencies.

I put it in standby. No calld.

Fuvkers drained the huge battery in 30h. Doint what? Fuck knows. Battery moniotr does not report much. Just drains the juice away.

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Not had this issue with the firestick or firetv.

I have a linux box operating as my gateway so easy to monitor, control and generate historic graphs of usage.

I normally shove linux on my medua stuff.

I bought a qnap disk box - it was cheap and the box is nice n small. I know it us linux but im really imoressed with it, its great.

22 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

That was my assumption but, after checking regularly - my router will give me a 24 hour history for each connected device, there was clearly something more happening.

Yes, I guess it's not a problem with all Fire sticks or they'd have fixed it by now. 

Mine are 3-5 years old, so could be something with new ones, firmware still updates on mine so seems odd. Perhaps an app? I only use prime, YouTube & Netflix. 

isn't iPlayer p2p? I don't use it

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Xyy trigger alert.

I have a smart phonr. Mainly voice n text n whatsapp. The other stuff is for emergencies.

I put it in standby. No calld.

Fuvkers drained the huge battery in 30h. Doint what? Fuck knows. Battery moniotr does not report much. Just drains the juice away.

Following your every move and listening to every word you utter. At a dosbodian, you should know that. 

48 minutes ago, snaga said:

Mine are 3-5 years old, so could be something with new ones, firmware still updates on mine so seems odd. Perhaps an app? I only use prime, YouTube & Netflix. 

isn't iPlayer p2p? I don't use it

Prime & Netflix only for me too - both of which my Apple TV has too (I got the Fire Stick before Apple added the Prime App). No idea about iPlayer, we don't have it here in the colonies thank God.