• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Good Obscure Films

I thought it might be an idea to recommend obscure good films.

One of my favourite films is "The Dark Hour". It's about a post apocalypse world and is in Spanish with English subtitles. I'm not going to write a pompous review but it's good :) 

Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down - Spanish.

Mainly because when I was watching it in the cinema about 60 minutes into it a woman sat behind me said to her male partner "It's been an hour and no one has been tied up yet.".

I recommend 'Bicyle Thieves' - considered a classic.

It isn't really obscure, and not in the same genre as others in this thread, but I very much rate Son on Rambow -- an excellent film failed by too many people thinking it might be about one of the children of John Rambo.

Saw this 1971 Hitchcock for the first time recently. One of his obscure ones concerning a serial killer around London's Covent Garden. Good vintage footage of London, Covent Garden is a slightly run down fruit and veg Market. Good film too.

May not count as an obscure film but it has somehow passed me by for 50 years.

Edited by crashmonitor

7 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Saw this 1971 Hitchcock for the first time recently. One of his obscure ones concerning a serial killer around London's Covent Garden. Good vintage footage of London, Covent Garden is a slightly run down fruit and veg Market. Good film too.

May not count as an obscure film but it has somehow passed me by for 50 years.

does the killer escape at one point in a lorry full of potatoes 

Just now, crashmonitor said:

That's the one Stokie.

thanks,back to amazon ffs to order it for my collection.i was recently thinking about what a good film it was but i couldnt remember a thing about it other than geting a tie pin out of a girls hand in the back of a lorry full of potatoes,

46 minutes ago, eight said:

And Soon The Darkness is a good 70's film. As is Goodbye Gemini.

Love And Soon the Darkness borrowed it from a friend recently. Great films followed Pamela Franklin..The Innocents, Legend of Hell House and Prime of Miss Jean Brodie amongst her less obscure films.

Not got through Youtube copyright , clip.....

Goodbye Gemini is available to watch. Thanks Eight I'll have a look later.

https://youtu.be/rdZNkEvOcGE

Edited by crashmonitor

I can't remember the title but my favourite film was about a [corrupt/retired/disillusioned/suspended] CIA agent who couples up with a [female agent/criminal/drug dealer/KGB agent] to foil a [corrupt politician/nuclear bomb plot/kidnap plot/drug heist/plot to kill the president] against the [wishes/orders/knowledge] of his CIA superiors, with an unexpected twist at the end where the goodiies were baddies all along.

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

I can't remember the title but my favourite film was about a [corrupt/retired/disillusioned/suspended] CIA agent who couples up with a [female agent/criminal/drug dealer/KGB agent] to foil a [corrupt politician/nuclear bomb plot/kidnap plot/drug heist/plot to kill the president] against the [wishes/orders/knowledge] of his CIA superiors, with an unexpected twist at the end where the goodiies were baddies all along.

sounds like every thriller ever made.

I quite liked that rober redford thriltler where he popped out for coffee from a CIA numbers front/office and when he got back all his colleagues were dead, cant remember the name of it, was well old though.

ah three days of the condor, i usually dont like his drivel, but this was worth watching, pretty twisty turny. 1975.

Two crippled heroes (1982 Kung fu).  Not sure if it wouldn't get made today or would get lots of grants. Includes the classic line "Hey! Your monkey just pissed on my head!?!"

The Cube. I'm sure @The Masked Tulip will have seen it as it has some (Canadian?) Star Trek actress in it. Another good film due to story and acting rather than CGI. 

17 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Two crippled heroes (1982 Kung fu).  Not sure if it wouldn't get made today or would get lots of grants. Includes the classic line "Hey! Your monkey just pissed on my head!?!"

The Cube. I'm sure @The Masked Tulip will have seen it as it has some (Canadian?) Star Trek actress in it. Another good film due to story and acting rather than CGI. 

Nicola De Boer from Star Trek Deep Space Nine and David Hewlett from Stargate Atlantis? Nah, not seen it.

The way things are going now I wish I was on Deep Space Nine or in Atlantis. Won't be long before we are all on The Cube.