• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

BBC too shit to compete laments DG

BBC flagship such as East Enders and Holby can't compete with the likes of Prime and Netflix wails BBC DG Tony Hall. "da kidz no like our shit", he complains.

His solution is more money for Auntie and more regulation for the competition. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/sep/16/tony-hall-regulate-video-streaming-services-or-risk-killing-off-uk-content

The problem with most BBC output is that you know exactly where the program is going to go, usually from just reading the title alone. So why bother?

If the So-Called BBC employed a little more critical thinking and actually did a bit more challenging fact-finding in its programs rather than tediously toeing the agenda driven line, then perhaps it might find more of an audience.

It also relies way too heavily on the opinion of Twitter. Any organisation that does that shouldn't and can't expect to be taken seriously.

It is quite a funny report.  He's about 99% there -- BBC is crap and the viewers have alternatives now.  But his answer is exactly wrong -- he wants to make it relatively better by forcing the competition to be worse.  More, he's saying 'what we've done isn't enough and hasn't kept up with the others -- so we need to do twice as much of the same'.  Sadly, this seems to be a common theme across so much of UK government and associated organisations -- we can't be wrong, therefore with apparent failure the answer can only be more of the same.

[His attitude reminds me of the old personality types vs success -- there are two ways to succeed; to try to be better than everyone else or to ensure that everyone else is worse than you.  Both can work, but the former is positive, the latter negative.  Which approach do you have / do you experience in work?  Which type do you think should be encouraged, which type discouraged?]

Edited by dgul

32 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

BBC flagship such as East Enders and Holby can't compete with the likes of Prime and Netflix wails BBC DG Tony Hall. "da kidz no like our shit", he complains.

His solution is more money for Auntie and more regulation for the competition. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/sep/16/tony-hall-regulate-video-streaming-services-or-risk-killing-off-uk-content

This is the usual crap that we have got for decades from c*nts like this across the UK, the US and the Western world.

We can't compete. We can do this, that or another. We have to bring in other people. We have to buy in talent, foreign goods, etc.

the So-Called BBC is a marxist clique churning out politically correct sh*t that rubbishes our culture, country and now even the colour of the skin of the majority of Brits. Only this morning I was having a conversation about how the US churns out so many hilarious comedy shows but I cannot recall the last decent comedy the So-Called BBC made.

hMyo-M0cDaG5V3MYPfkmA3PLMsqHC248bMUUit6q

25 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

the So-Called BBC is a marxist clique churning out politically correct sh*t that rubbishes our culture, country and now even the colour of the skin of the majority of Brits. Only this morning I was having a conversation about how the US churns out so many hilarious comedy shows but I cannot recall the last decent comedy the So-Called BBC made.

And what makes it even worse is the Merkins are not generally known for their sense of humour whereas Brits (excepting what the So-Called BBC regards as professional comedians) are.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

99% of the output by Netflix is shite. There was a time when the So-Called BBC wasn't like that too.

the So-Called BBC doesn't want to commission programmes that might cause offence or challenge people, which I don't understand because there's no way of (legally) opting out of paying for it, to show your disgust etc. They have a huge captive market of folk being forced to pay £150 a year or go to prison. If the So-Called BBC commissioned controversial programmes that offended the SJWs there would be nothing they could do about it.

Instead it's all sterile multicultural tripe that nobody wants to watch.

No.

For me, 50% if Netflix is not my cup of tea.

However it is someone elses.

The major issue BBC faces is not Netflix, which is more immediate issue to BBC as its runnign rings around them, its the fact people are watching less n less broadcast TV.

A simple fix to the So-Called BBC would be allow people to claim back./discount their netflix sub against their TV license.

This is much more politically/media acceptable, more so than say 'Scrap the TV license' which gets loads of luvvies going Oh now, its only ......

This would hit the So-Called BBC where it hurts - eyeball time.

And theirs no credible Luvvie response to it - if people are watcvhing netflix then they are not watching BBC.

I would guess BC has less than 5 years left as it currently is. They really have fucked up.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

No.

The major issue BBC faces is not Netflix, which is more immediate issue to BBC as its runnign rings around them, its the fact people are watching less n less broadcast TV.

A simple fix to the So-Called BBC would be allow people to claim back./discount their netflix sub against their TV license.

This is much more politically/media acceptable, more so than say 'Scrap the TV license' which gets loads of luvvies going Oh now, its only ......

And theirs no credible Luvvie response to it - if people are watcvhing netflix then they are not watching BBC.

I would guess BC has less than 5 years left as it currently is. They really have fucked up.

I think you are too hopeful. None of the previous governments I can remember have shown any interest in clamping down on the So-Called BBC. Call Me Dave last renewed their charter which was on very generous terms even though they were practically trying to overturn his government. They will just lobby for it to be added to council tax I bet, with a token reduction to make it more palatable and 'easy to pay'.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

I think you are too hopeful. None of the previous governments I can remember have shown any interest in clamping down on the So-Called BBC. Call Me Dave last renewed their charter which was on very generous terms even though they were practically trying to overturn his government. They will just lobby for it to be added to council tax I bet, with a token reduction to make it more palatable and 'easy to pay'.

Call Me dave/Gidiot had more pressing issues on their hand and coalition government of LibDems - the embodiment of woolly idiots.

We're 10 years on from 2008. UK wages have not recovered. Every pound counts. Lets throw the hard pressed UK tax payer some releif on soemthing less and less are watching.

Again, the way itll pan out is getting a refund for Netflix sub - who can argue with that?

Id hate to have a (unfunded) BBC pension or be a pensioner. the So-Called BBC pension scheme is going to end up in the PPA.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

nt. They will just lobby for it to be added to council tax I bet, with a token reduction to make it more palatable and 'easy to pay'.

Ooh, that will be good to watch, might be a repeat of the poll tax, won't be popular in Bradford or Scotland.

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

No.

Yep, they're screwed. Due to their SJWness I won't even bother pirating the new series of Doctor Who.

13 minutes ago, This Time said:

Yep, they're screwed. Due to their SJWness I won't even bother pirating the new series of Doctor Who.

Needs a refresh if they are going to continue with women - Dr Nude ... and the naked amazon women form mars ....

1 hour ago, spunko said:

99% of the output by Netflix is shite.

And yet it's still about a thousand times better than the So-Called BBC.

The only BBC output I can bear is football coverage, and then only when they are showing actual footage, even the half time analysis annoys me too much to watch.

The game show "Pointless" is bearable (as long as it's not the celebrity version), I suppose. Although there is at least one BBC navel-gazing round in most episodes.

BBC is superb value at less than 50p per day.

BBC has made excellent dramas recently, Hidden, Hinterland, Hard Sun, Luther,  Killing Eve.

BBC has made superb comedy, Motherland, White Gold, Quacks, Detectorists, Cunk On Britain.

BBC News is shit.

Netflix had their day in the sun but have gone far too left now. Quality of output is poor, but like most other forms of media eg Gaming, they've mastered the art of hype and persuasion.

Youtube has shown the hunger that there is for different types of media, especially long form discussions or niche documentaries. It would take a radical approach for the beeb to change their approach. But ultimately do they want to? Did anyone watch their Bergdahl program? Or how about the Trump series? Their purpose isn't really to entertain and educate is it 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Theres a Trek Next Gen episode where they rescue a bunch of people whove been in cryostorage for centuries and one of them asks where the TV is. And one of the crew replies that TV didnt survive for very long into the 21st century.

It seemed bizarre and mockery-worthy back in the 80s. I remembered it because it just seemed like a handwave excuse for why nobody was ever seen watching TV, much like no one was ever seen going to or from the toilet in sci fi (except in Farscape, which occasionally showed people actually taking a leak or a dump). Now it seems totally realistic (that TV wont survive the century).

58 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

BBC is superb value at less than 50p per day.

BBC has made excellent dramas recently, Hidden, Hinterland, Hard Sun, Luther,  Killing Eve.

BBC has made superb comedy, Motherland, White Gold, Quacks, Detectorists, Cunk On Britain.

BBC News is shit.

This. the So-Called BBC News editors should all have their heads put on spikes on Traitor's Gate, then the whole news section should be disbanded and reformed starting with the principles that founded it. 

Biggest threat to BBC in our household is youtube, ok perhaps netflix and amazon prime for entertainment, but for factual/educational/information, youtube is my go to.

BBC can't possibly compete with the huge amount of content on youtube, want a review of that widget you are thinking of buying? quick search and a dozen reviews, want some tips on breadmaking? here's a few hundred content providers to choose from. Want to learn about routing & network protocols, no problem.

Edited by snaga

1 hour ago, spunko said:

One advantage of it being simply collected from say Council taxes would be seeing Crapita lose a large part of their entertainment income derived from imprisoning harassing women.

20 minutes ago, Kilham said:

Crapita lose a large part of their entertainment income derived from imprisoning harassing women.

So, look, what you are saying is BBC are possibly guilty of misogyny by disproportionately imprisoning women for non-payment of fines relating to watching live television without a TV Licence.

Why haven't we heard more about this ?

Are you saying BBC is misogynist ?

BBC on Crimewatch. 

Edited by Bedrag Justesen

6 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

So, look, what you are saying is BBC are possibly guilty of misogyny by disproportionately imprisoning women for non-payment of fines relating to watching live television without a TV Licence.

Why haven't we heard more about this ?

Are you saying BBC is misogynist ?

BBC on Crimewatch. 

That's one bit of inequaity you'll never hearing them protesting about.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/17/70_pc_tv_licensing_convictions_women/