• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Big pharma isn’t going to like this, no siree

Recommended Posts

I think dosbodders already knew this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6176151/No-evidence-having-high-levels-bad-cholesterol-causes-heart-disease.html

No evidence exists to prove that having high levels of bad cholesterol causes heart disease, leading cardiologists have claimed.

Researchers have warned statins - cholesterol-busting drugs - offer no protection to millions of people and doctors should 'abandon' them.

The findings add fuel to the ever-growing, controversial row over statins, as cardiologists continue to disagree on whether the cheap pills have any benefit.

Experts do agree that for people who already have a high heart risk - particularly those who have already had a heart attack or a stroke - statins are proven lifesavers, slashing the chance of a second attack.

High levels of LDL-C, known as bad cholesterol, has been considered a major cause of heart disease - the world's leading killer - for at least 50 years.

But the new study, based on data of around 1.3 million patients, suggests doling out statins as a main form of treatment for heart disease is of 'doubtful benefit'.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

I think dosbodders already knew this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6176151/No-evidence-having-high-levels-bad-cholesterol-causes-heart-disease.html

No evidence exists to prove that having high levels of bad cholesterol causes heart disease, leading cardiologists have claimed.

Researchers have warned statins - cholesterol-busting drugs - offer no protection to millions of people and doctors should 'abandon' them.

The findings add fuel to the ever-growing, controversial row over statins, as cardiologists continue to disagree on whether the cheap pills have any benefit.

Experts do agree that for people who already have a high heart risk - particularly those who have already had a heart attack or a stroke - statins are proven lifesavers, slashing the chance of a second attack.

High levels of LDL-C, known as bad cholesterol, has been considered a major cause of heart disease - the world's leading killer - for at least 50 years.

But the new study, based on data of around 1.3 million patients, suggests doling out statins as a main form of treatment for heart disease is of 'doubtful benefit'.  

So the NHS "how old if your heart" calculation needs updating already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

I think dosbodders already knew this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6176151/No-evidence-having-high-levels-bad-cholesterol-causes-heart-disease.html

No evidence exists to prove that having high levels of bad cholesterol causes heart disease, leading cardiologists have claimed.

Researchers have warned statins - cholesterol-busting drugs - offer no protection to millions of people and doctors should 'abandon' them.

The findings add fuel to the ever-growing, controversial row over statins, as cardiologists continue to disagree on whether the cheap pills have any benefit.

Experts do agree that for people who already have a high heart risk - particularly those who have already had a heart attack or a stroke - statins are proven lifesavers, slashing the chance of a second attack.

High levels of LDL-C, known as bad cholesterol, has been considered a major cause of heart disease - the world's leading killer - for at least 50 years.

But the new study, based on data of around 1.3 million patients, suggests doling out statins as a main form of treatment for heart disease is of 'doubtful benefit'.  

I put this firmly in the British Governments tried and tested book of being seen to do something is actually cheaper than doing stuff.

Same category as a daily aspirin.

Same category as doing a 'study' for the regulator.

If you can bluster on about the benefits of dishing out the cheapest possible pills as an answer to the nations wills and shove loads of publicity at it, it is all good political capital.

Strange things is, all the people who got dementia I know were all on statins.

Now wouldn't that be a nasty coincidence, or bad PR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I put this firmly in the British Governments tried and tested book of being seen to do something is actually cheaper than doing stuff.

Same category as a daily aspirin.

Same category as doing a 'study' for the regulator.

If you can bluster on about the benefits of dishing out the cheapest possible pills as an answer to the nations wills and shove loads of publicity at it, it is all good political capital.

Strange things is, all the people who got dementia I know were all on statins.

Now wouldn't that be a nasty coincidence, or bad PR.

That’s interesting. Anecdotally, there does seem to be a lot more people suffering from dementia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall there is evidence that it is the anti inflammatory action of statins that is likely driving the lower event rate on them rather than the cholesterol lowering properties. The problem is that alternative potentially better drugs that target this without the cholesterol PD have to demonstrate superiority vs standard trt ie statins. Ive seen a few good candidate drugs fail at this stage when its possible they would be better in terms of long term side effects.

6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Strange things is, all the people who got dementia I know were all on statins

Yeh I think there is link with key parts of the brain being made from the fats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

We’ve said before on here (a whole thread I think) that if you want to stay healthy, keep away from doctors 

Its amazing how much of medicine is still guess work in that we don't fully understand the causal mechanisms only that there are X biomarkers of this disease. Then try out targeting those and hope for the best xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the years I have been prescribed Atorvastatin, Simvastatin and Rosavastatin.

All of them gave me severe problems ranging from sight disturbance, severe muscle pain and insomnia.

I refuse to take any of them, yet each year I have a blood test for my Bendroflumethiazide pills and sure enough each year the various doctors in the practise want to see me because I have high Cholesterol.

Do they get some sort of bonus for doing this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Byron said:

Over the years I have been prescribed Atorvastatin, Simvastatin and Rosavastatin.

All of them gave me severe problems ranging from sight disturbance, severe muscle pain and insomnia.

I refuse to take any of them, yet each year I have a blood test for my Bendroflumethiazide pills and sure enough each year the various doctors in the practise want to see me because I have high Cholesterol.

Do they get some sort of bonus for doing this?

Yes the Quality Outcomes Framework, GPs get extra money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, maudit said:

 

Yes the Quality Outcomes Framework, GPs get extra money.

This. Though, to be fair though, my group practice GP (I mentioned on the NHS thread I have no idea which one is my nominal GP) have never tried to push statins on me. Possibly becase they know that apart from my age I have none of the factors they could use to justify it, possibly because they do actually have some scientific and moral integrity. Possibly because they suspect they would get told to piss off if they did.

Spoiler

I work for a pharma company, in 'medical affairs'. I wont take statins. And I am vocal in telling people that I wont. I let them draw their own conclusions, as it is legally forbidden for me to give medical advice, not being their medical practitioner. I could get the sack. Im taking a risk even saying this much - nothing to do with statins or conspiracy theories, like I say, I could get the sack from any company for giving medical advice. So dont ask for any because I WILL ignore you.

 

Edited by Melchett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, One percent said:

That’s interesting. Anecdotally, there does seem to be a lot more people suffering from dementia. 

Chemtrails vaccines fluoride mindwaves Novichok :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Melchett said:

This. Though, to be fair though, my group practice GP (I mentioned on the NHS thread I have no idea which one is my nominal GP) have never tried to push statins on me. Possibly becase they know that apart from my age I have none of the factors they could use to justify it, possibly because they do actually have some scientific and moral integrity. Possibly because they suspect they would get told to piss off if they did.

  Hide contents

I work for a pharma company, in 'medical affairs'. I wont take statins. And I am vocal in telling people that I wont. I let them draw their own conclusions, as it is legally forbidden for me to give medical advice, not being their medical practitioner. I could get the sack. Im taking a risk even saying this much - nothing to do with statins or conspiracy theories, like I say, I could get the sack from any company for giving medical advice. So dont ask for any because I WILL ignore you.

 

My penis is all red kind of lipstick coloured what medicine do you prescribe Dr. Melchett? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Funn3r said:

My penis is all red kind of lipstick coloured what medicine do you prescribe Dr. Melchett? 

A wet wipe when she is done.

Or you can just leave it on there and smile every time you see it, each to their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, One percent said:

We’ve said before on here (a whole thread I think) that if you want to stay healthy, keep away from doctors 

Doctors? We call them quacks round these parts. I think medical school screens out those with compassion and integrity and pushes through the ones with god like delusions. Never met one I like. 

Edited by whitevanman
and you always know you've met one ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Melchett said:

 

  Hide contents

I work for a pharma company, in 'medical affairs'. I wont take statins. And I am vocal in telling people that I wont. I let them draw their own conclusions, as it is legally forbidden for me to give medical advice, not being their medical practitioner. I could get the sack. Im taking a risk even saying this much - nothing to do with statins or conspiracy theories, like I say, I could get the sack from any company for giving medical advice. So dont ask for any because I WILL ignore you.

 

Ironic that those best placed to give medical advise are criminalised from doing so..  yet every Thomacina, Dick and unqualified Harrietta can expound the benefits of flax seed penis rub for curing pox on Scumbook to their hearts content 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Ironic that those best placed to give medical advise are criminalised from doing so..  yet every Thomacina, Dick and unqualified Harrietta can expound the benefits of flax seed penis rub for curing pox on Scumbook to their hearts content 🙄

They don’t want those who are eminently qualified to so, to tell the rest of us that most of it is a crock of shit with the main aim being to make as much money as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melchett said:

This. Though, to be fair though, my group practice GP (I mentioned on the NHS thread I have no idea which one is my nominal GP) have never tried to push statins on me. Possibly becase they know that apart from my age I have none of the factors they could use to justify it, possibly because they do actually have some scientific and moral integrity. Possibly because they suspect they would get told to piss off if they did.

  Hide contents

I work for a pharma company, in 'medical affairs'. I wont take statins. And I am vocal in telling people that I wont. I let them draw their own conclusions, as it is legally forbidden for me to give medical advice, not being their medical practitioner. I could get the sack. Im taking a risk even saying this much - nothing to do with statins or conspiracy theories, like I say, I could get the sack from any company for giving medical advice. So dont ask for any because I WILL ignore you.

 

Thank you for posting that info. I’m reassured that I’m on a good path by avoiding doctors, their prescriptions and any NHS advice 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tend to agree but to be fair doctors have a very hard life. Family friend is a young doctor (A&E) and regularly has heart-breaking stories of lives unexpectedly terminated by cruel chance. How do you come out from work and go to the pub after that? Me I'll stick to patching servers and at half-five plus one minute I have forgotten the bloody lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This man.

Ancel-Keys.jpg

 

Ancel Keys

 

These are K-rations - he claimed that they were not named after him (Yeah, sure!)- which he convinced the US Army to replace rations of meat cuts, milk, butter, fresh veg, fruit and chocolate with. He is the father of the fat is bad for you.

If you look at the rations that the US Army gave its soldiers they are like a feast that Yogi Bear and Boo Boo would be thrilled to discover. With WW2 approaching the part of the US Army that collected and distributed foodstuffs felt that they could not manage such huge amounts of fresh meat, dairy, veg and fruit. Keys gave them what they wanted to hear.

330px-KRation_Dinner.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This man.

Ancel-Keys.jpg

 

Ancel Keys

 

These are K-rations - he claimed that they were not named after him (Yeah, sure!)- which he convinced the US Army to replace rations of meat cuts, milk, butter, fresh veg, fruit and chocolate with. He is the father of the fat is bad for you.

If you look at the rations that the US Army gave its soldiers they are like a feast that Yogi Bear and Boo Boo would be thrilled to discover. With WW2 approaching the part of the US Army that collected and distributed foodstuffs felt that they could not manage such huge amounts of fresh meat, dairy, veg and fruit. Keys gave them what they wanted to hear.

330px-KRation_Dinner.JPG

Inky black pools for eyes - not to be trusted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.