• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Retire in your forties

2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Personally I don't need work to keep occupied. I could keep myself occupied for the rest of my life pursuing only a narrow selection of my interests.

The trouble is other people. I took a year off work about 5 years ago and it drove my wife nuts. She seemed to take great offence at me being "idle".

xD

The best plan is probably to get a bit of money behind you for some security, and then get a part time job that you like. My current plan is to pay off my mortgage, and then I'll go 3 days a week in some job or other (it won't matter what it pays at that stage). I'd go part time now, but the trouble is that my "excel jockey" skillset is going to be automated to oblivion (the technology is already there, it's just the people who need to catch up) so I've kind of got to make hay while the sun is still shining.

Exactly what I have done. The problem with that is that my employer thinks I’m available 5 day’s a week, for 3 day’s money. It’s a constant battle. 

15 minutes ago, spunko said:

Interesting. Have you/do you ever forage for edible weeds, eg things like nettles, wild garlic/ramsons, cleavers etc?

Forage for:

Wild garlic to make pesto with parmesan and pine nuts. Got about 3 lbs made.

Crab apples for crab apple jelly and apple and sloe jelly. Far too much made

Sloes for the above jelly and also for sloe cordial

Blackberrys, about 10lbs frozen (for blackberry and apple crumbles), 6 gallons of blackberry wine bubbling away and 6lbs of bramble jelly in jars

Sweet chestnuts to go in casseroles, collect these in about 3 weeks

Pick up pheasants and hares from the road, if fresh and not splatted. I wouldn't pick up anything if I didn't know it had been there less than 8 hrs. Also get given pheasants and get given far too many, just take the breasts and legs off for casserole or nigerian pheasant curry and turn the carcass into soup.

Fungi: field mushrooms, chanterelles, chicken of the woods and penny buns

Always mean to do something with nettles but never have.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Forage for:

Wild garlic to make pesto with parmesan and pine nuts. Got about 3 lbs made.

Crab apples for crab apple jelly and apple and sloe jelly.

Blackberrys, about 10lbs frozen (for blackberry and apple crumbles), 6 gallons of blackberry wine bubbling away and 6lbs of bramble jelly in jars

Sweet chestnuts to go in casseroles

Pick up pheasants and hares from the road, if fresh and not splatted. I wouldn't pick up anything if I didn't know it had been there less than 8 hrs. Also get given pheasants and get given far too many, just take the breasts and legs off for casserole or nigerian pheasant curry and turn the carcass into soup.

Always mean to do something with nettles but never have.

I make pesto with coriander. Wonderful. How long do you reckon homemade pesto keeps and how to you keep it?  

Oh, and it’s brambles. :)

I am still on the wrong side of the fence at the moment but from this viewpoint it is money that is the key. I cannot see myself ever running out of things I wish to do. Far more likely to run out of money and time to be able to do them. Finding a balance between these two is the most difficult thing.

Only 3 years maximum before I try for real though!

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I make pesto with coriander. Wonderful. How long do you reckon homemade pesto keeps and how to you keep it?  

Oh, and it’s brambles. :)

I keep it in the fridge and under oil for a long time. BUT, you have got to be aware of botulism with vegetables in an anaerobic environment, which under oil is, since Clostridium botulinum only grows in the absence of oxygen. It's recommended that you only store the pesto for 3 weeks. It's a soil borne bacterium and as it's the leaves of garlic and not the bulb you use, I don't worry. But DYOR https://acmsf.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/mnt/drupal_data/sources/files/multimedia/pdfs/Acm562.pdf.

But the GF won't eat it after 3 weeks  xD

5 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

I am still on the wrong side of the fence at the moment but from this viewpoint it is money that is the key. I cannot see myself ever running out of things I wish to do. Far more likely to run out of money and time to be able to do them. Finding a balance between these two is the most difficult thing.

Only 3 years maximum before I try for real though!

How does the saying go?

When you have money you have no time, and when you have time you have no money

31 minutes ago, spunko said:

Oh,  I didn't know Frank was an accountant. :ph34r:

I thought he was a breadmaker.

Edit: leonardratso beat me to it...

Never been entirely convinced he isn't a lorry driver.

Just now, Wahoo said:

Blackberries grow on brambles...surely?:wanker:

brear rabbit will testify to that.

4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Never been entirely convinced he isn't a lorry driver.

is it the murderous eyes, stink of diesel and prostitute murdering hands?

1 minute ago, leonardratso said:

brear rabbit will testify to that.

I'd shoot the little bastard first with an air-rifle and make a rabbit pie.  Followed by blackberry fool and custard.

7 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I keep it in the fridge and under oil for a long time. BUT, you have got to be aware of botulism with vegetables in an anaerobic environment, which under oil is, since Clostridium botulinum only grows in the absence of oxygen. It's recommended that you only store the pesto for 3 weeks. It's a soil borne bacterium and as it's the leaves of garlic and not the bulb you use, I don't worry. But DYOR https://acmsf.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/mnt/drupal_data/sources/files/multimedia/pdfs/Acm562.pdf.

But the GF won't eat it after 3 weeks  xD

How does the saying go?

When you have money you have no time, and when you have time you have no money

Cheers. So, I need some litmus paper. o.O I would never have thought that putting a layer of oil over pesto would contribute to food poisoning. I would have thought it would help protect it. 

Every day is an education on dosbods. 

14 minutes ago, One percent said:

Brambles are what we call them oop north. :)

There's part of Middlesbrough called Brambles Farm. It's not how it sounds.

8 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I used to be incredibly conscientious. I'd regularly work late (I'd sometimes have to run to the train station to get the last train), and work weekends. On one occasion I worked 24 hrs straight to meet a deadline. Then my boss fell out with the management, and they set out to "get" him, which involved us being audited to death again and again, until they eventually gave up on that and just restructured our department out of existence. The whole thing left me burnt out,  jaded, and cynical.

These days I do what I think is reasonable. I try to look after my immediate manager (he's a nice guy), but I'm only going to push it so far, and no further. They pay you for your time and your skills, not your heart and soul.

Like I was once told, you work to live, not live to work 

5 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Blackberries grow on brambles...surely?:wanker:

Hey, what’s with the emoji. Karl tells me that’s a emoji to signal that a poster thinks the other is a wanker. o.O

13 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Bloody hell....a microbiologist.

Is it true you wash your hands before going to the toilet?:D

sounds right nice does brambles farm, i think ill book a holiday there.

How many shells should i take? and what sort of strength? buckshot or near bullet?

What do the locals taste like? are they free range?

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Hey, what’s with the emoji. Karl tells me that’s a emoji to signal that a poster thinks the other is a wanker. o.O

OMG....Really??   I had no idea.   I'm really sorry.

( Anyway wanking is just having sex with someone you really really love :)}

5 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Bloody hell....a microbiologist.

Is it true you wash your hands before going to the toilet?:D

Must confess that I haven't washed my hands at all today as my fingers are cut to shreds and it's just too damn sore.

2 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

OMG....Really??   I had no idea.   I'm really sorry.

( Anyway wanking is just having sex with someone you really really love :)}

xD  I dunno, I’m confused as to what the iMovie means. Let’s not go there on the other stuff. o.O

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Must confess that I haven't washed my hands at all today as my fingers are cut to shreds and it's just too damn sore.

It’s the brambling that does that. O.o