• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
dgul

I'm very worried about this sort of thing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45556584

Australian police say sewing needles have been found hidden in an apple and a banana, amid a nationwide scare that has tormented the strawberry industry.
Since last week, Australians in every state have reported finding needles concealed in strawberry punnets.

I'd add that my worry isn't about strawberries, apples or bananas, particularly (though I do like them).

Given the way food producers treat their staff im surprised it hasnt happened before. There are thousands of illegals working the farms in Oz (and everywhere i imagine) earning next to nothing doing back breaking work in extreme conditions for long days and the authorities turn a blind eye so the consumer can get their produce as cheap as possible..

3 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Given the way food producers treat their staff im surprised it hasnt happened before. There are thousands of illegals working the farms in Oz (and everywhere i imagine) earning next to nothing doing back breaking work in extreme conditions for long days and the authorities turn a blind eye so the consumer can get their produce as cheap as possible..

Yes, never mind the other side of the world, I'm about 2 minutes away from the largest strawberry farms in the country and they certainly don't employ any British people. Make sure to wash your strawberries too, because going by the state of the portaloos in the fields, they aren't exactly the most hygienic people picking them.

1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a vector for organised attack.

3 hours ago, spunko said:

Yes, never mind the other side of the world, I'm about 2 minutes away from the largest strawberry farms in the country and they certainly don't employ any British people. Make sure to wash your strawberries too, because going by the state of the portaloos in the fields, they aren't exactly the most hygienic people picking them.

Yes, quite - makes you wonder what goes on but is never seen or noticed in the final product.

Same goes for all sorts of food production.

How many people are involved in the supply of strawberries? The growers/pickers, and those involved in distribution. It cannot be that hard to find out who is doing this using a process of elimination, can it?

Seems to be media-driven hysteria - affecting ~2 strawberries out of millions.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2018/0919/994660-australia-strawberry-needle-scare/

"Just go back to buying strawberries like you used to, and take the precautions that you should," Mr Morrison told Australians in a televised address.

"Make a pav this weekend and put strawberries on it," he suggested.

Same kind of self congratulatory gestures as we are encouraged to do after terrorist atrocities.