• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Unintended consequences of making people work until they drop

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6181235/Stagecoach-bus-driver-80-driving-dangerously-killed-two.html

This is the horrifying moment a bus driver, 80, ploughed a double-decker into a Sainsbury's killing a seven-year-old passenger and a 76-year-old bystander after working three consecutive 75-hour weeks. 

Kailash Chander, who crashed into the supermarket killing two people, was driving dangerously when he caused the deaths, Birmingham Crown Court ruled today. 

Chander caused the smash in October 2015 when he believed he was stepping on the brake - but actually stepped on the accelerator. 

He had been judged unfit to stand trial after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's following the crash.

'His employers, Midland Red South, have rightly pleaded guilty for their failure to manage their staff appropriately and place people as risk. 

'However, it should not be forgotten that with any driver getting behind a wheel it is their personal responsibility to know they are fit to do so and their responsibility to drive appropriately. Chander did not have to work the hours that he chose to do.'

40 minutes ago, spygirl said:

'His employers, Midland Red South, have rightly pleaded guilty for their failure to manage their staff appropriately and place people as risk. 

'However, it should not be forgotten that with any driver getting behind a wheel it is their personal responsibility to know they are fit to do so and their responsibility to drive appropriately. Chander did not have to work the hours that he chose to do.'

Almost the very definition of weasel words.

4 minutes ago, eight said:

Almost the very definition of weasel words.

Thats from the policr.

The comoany should be fuvked over on this. Someone needs to go to jail. Maybe they will.

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

How will these 28 year old teenage migrants fare when the are officially 70 but in reality 82?

A double edged sword for the lying fucks.

Well they don’t work so your whole premise here is academic. 

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Sorry but very little to do with him being forced to work longer, more to do with the company employing an 80 year old to cut costs as he wasn't permanent.

An 80 year old shouldn't be driving buses... he should know that too. What a selfish old fool and blocking access to the job for younger folk as well. 

I agree with the point that the original poster is making.

There are unintended consequences from promoting a society where there is no retirement age and employers are prompted to employ older people.

In this case I agree that the company are insane for employing an 80 year old bus driver and the bloke should know that at eighty bus driving isn’t a job for his age.

Politicians are the real culprits by allowing this scenario through promoting you’re fit, don’t retire, work until you drop etc IMO because of desperation to maximise tax take regardless of age or fitness abilities.

2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I agree with the point that the original poster is making.

There are unintended consequences from promoting a society where there is no retirement age and employers are prompted to employ older people.

In this case I agree that the company are insane for employing an 80 year old bus driver and the bloke should know that at eighty bus driving isn’t a job for his age.

Politicians are the real culprits by allowing this scenario through promoting you’re fit, don’t retire, work until you drop etc IMO because of desperation to maximise tax take regardless of age or fitness abilities.

I would imagine that they kept employing him as for them to compulsorily retire him, they would have found themselves in a world of anti discriminatory pain. 

Damned if they do, damned if they don’t....  

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I would imagine that they kept employing him as for them to compulsorily retire him, they would have found themselves in a world of anti discriminatory pain. 

Yes.....unintended consequences!

Just now, ILikeCake said:

Not sure why he was working 75hr weeks though?

Maybe he just liked doing it plus the company benefited and current policy and the law favours both parties in this unfortunate accident?

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Yes.....unintended consequences!

Exactly. I think this is just the beginnings of the chickens coming home to roost. 

As the pension age keeps going up, the average age of workers in the workplace are also going to go up. 

Then, on top of this, employers have to make reasonable adjustments for disabilities. 

You can see where this is all going, it’s going to be like little Britain, with us taking turns at pushing each other round in wheelchairs. xD

bring. It, on.  

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

when was the crash? *cough RAMADAN cough*?

7 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Maybe he just liked doing it plus the company benefited and current policy and the law favours both parties in this unfortunate accident?

I'm guessing it's not legal, driving anyway.

Probably not the whole story from the mail as usual.

Edited by ILikeCake

2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

when was the crash? *cough RAMADAN cough*?

I was thinking more of anti discrimination on age grounds. Your employer is no longer allowed to make you retire. Although, if they paid you enough to go, I’m sure most would. 

Just now, One percent said:

Exactly. I think this is just the beginnings of the chickens coming home to roost. 

As the pension age keeps going up, the average age of workers in the workplace are also going to go up. 

Then, on top of this, employers have to make reasonable adjustments for disabilities. 

You can see where this is all going, it’s going to be like little Britain, with us taking turns at pushing each other round in wheelchairs. xD

bring. It, on.  

xD

I’m furious about SPA rises and think it’s stupid policy because people have limitations to varying degrees as they age. 

Thanks for making me laugh and it’s reassuring hearing a similar view that it’s not going to end well.

There is no new world ahead where we’re all spring chickens to age 70 and beyond, still fully physically fit, mentally on the ball and still working. Laughable, crazy idea foisted on the population by arseholes with good pensions who have no idea about ordinary people.

2 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

I'm guessing it's not legal, driving anyway.

Probably not the whole story from the mail as usual.

The bus driver will be legal if he has passed DVLA scrutiny after reaching age 70.

If he hasn’t then he has been driving illegally.

16 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Not sure why he was working 75hr weeks though?

Me too. Don't lorry drivers have to take a break of a minimum number of hours between shifts and aren't they restricted legally as to the amount of hours they are allowed to drive in one go/over a week?

Lorries and buses. Both big. Both gonna cause a lot of damage when they crash. 

Except the bus is going to be carrying - during a peak-time run - a heck of a lot of bodies.

Edited by Gordie Lastchance

Employers can’t discriminate on age. The DVLA and GPs doing medicals for cash in hand that has the final say on whether a professional driver is medically fit or not. 

xD

I’m furious about SPA rises and think it’s stupid policy because people have limitations to varying degrees as they age. 

Thanks for making me laugh and it’s reassuring hearing a similar view that it’s not going to end well.

There is no new world ahead where we’re all spring chickens to age 70 and beyond, still fully physically fit, mentally on the ball and still working. Laughable, crazy idea foisted on the population by arseholes with good pensions who have no idea about ordinary people.

We laugh about this at work. We are all of a similar age and can see ourselves slowing up.  And that’s in our fifties. We all want out and so just laugh about wheelchairs and Zimmer frames. 

At some point, we will all start paying the sickness card. The employer will have to pay us all to be off sick and be powerless to act. 

Unintended consequences 

Oh what a tangled web they weave. xD

The bus driver will be legal if he has passed DVLA scrutiny after reaching age 70.

If he hasn’t then he has been driving illegally.

Sorry I meant driving a bus 75hrs a week.

1 minute ago, Gordie Lastchance said:

Me too. Don't lorry drivers have to take breaks between shifts and aren't they restricted legally as to the amount of hours they are allowed to drive in one go/over a week?

Lorries and buses. Both big. Both gonna cause a lot of damage when they crash. 

Except the bus is going to be carrying - during a peak-time run - a heck of a lot of bodies.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

Where I work it is nothing to with people having to work until they drop and it is more to do with them being the greediest bastards imaginable.

I have to listen to these moaning bastards who constantly complain about how shit their jobs are whilst they are simultaneously picking up a good wage plus overtime and allowances,occupational pension and finally the state pension and yet all the younger ones have never had it as bad as them.

I believe that some years ago they had to scrap the default retirement age of 65 to comply with anti-discrimination laws.

If this trend continues I can see my employer keeping a private ambulance on standby in the car park.