DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Tesco opens discount store Jack's to take on Lidl and Aldi

Lightscribe

Agree with the above, when I saw jack's from Tesco I wondered how on earth it could work.  Sure, if it doesn't cost that much and they can steal some of the discounters lowest common denominator customers.  But Lidl and Aldi over the last few years have been mixing up their product ranges and I see have a very keen eye on what sells and what price point works.  

At Christmas they heavily advertise their premium festive range that apparently is usually better than similar from the big supermarkets.  Lidl also have regular themed weeks or random products for limited time.  Just can't see jack's being the same but as I say they may get some footfall looking for cheap cans of as as soup or value beans?

I recently tried Tesco cheap brand ("hearty") cottage pie when doing a yellow sticker shop.  Never again - think I managed some of the gravy and mash without gagging on the cheap meat smell, most went in the bin.  Should probably stick to budget vegetarian meals if going down that route.

On 19/09/2018 at 10:45, spunko said:

I hope they do well out of it, as I don't like the idea of shopping in a German-owned supermarket employing mainly migrants. To say that Tesco have failed at expansions in the past ignores the fact that they are the most successful supermarket not just here but in Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ireland, Malaysia, Slovakia, Ireland. They are also trying to take on huge markets like China and India. They have balls and don't give up easily.

Not sure on the name "Jack's" though.

Bit racist mate

• 4 weeks later...
Democorruptcy

Visited my first Jacks this morning. The one in Middlewich Cheshire opened yesterday.

It was an impressive start with the pot holed car park now being resurfaced. I particularly liked the free food in the car park. Bacon butties, chicken tikka, coffee, samples of cheese, hog roast pie and mini tubs of strawberries. I won't go into too much detail but I didn't leave feeling hungry.

Inside the store was a big improvement on the old Tesco. Less aisles so it looked more spacious. They stocked what I needed but without multiples choices of different brands of the same thing. Prices were definitely cheaper than Tesco and now more comparable with Lidl or Aldi, though one or two were more expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/10/2018 at 14:43, Democorruptcy said:

Inside the store was a big improvement on the old Tesco. Less aisles so it looked more spacious. They stocked what I needed but without multiples choices of different brands of the same thing. Prices were definitely cheaper than Tesco and now more comparable with Lidl or Aldi, though one or two were more expensive.

Agree with that...but Jacks will just be stuck in the middle of no mans land though...with their in-between prices..

Some of the clothes at Alsi, imho are dreadful, but just the same as many retailers with their wear then throw away products

Aldi have a sound business model and sound products. Low prices, not  quite cheap & cheerful & much of it is quality stuff. Their wine takes some beating & fresh food is tops. You sort of get jettisoned in & out of their check outs too...I love not spending ages at check out. Morrisons check outs in comparison appear totally lethargic zzzzzzzzz & I feel like telling the staff to hurry up..& NO I do not need help with my packing Ta much!

Democorruptcy
4 hours ago, Gin said:

Agree with that...but Jacks will just be stuck in the middle of no mans land though...with their in-between prices..

Some of the clothes at Alsi, imho are dreadful, but just the same as many retailers with their wear then throw away products

Aldi have a sound business model and sound products. Low prices, not  quite cheap & cheerful & much of it is quality stuff. Their wine takes some beating & fresh food is tops. You sort of get jettisoned in & out of their check outs too...I love not spending ages at check out. Morrisons check outs in comparison appear totally lethargic zzzzzzzzz & I feel like telling the staff to hurry up..& NO I do not need help with my packing Ta much!

I haven't been back to Jacks since my first visit. I prefer Aldi and agree about their wines.

6 hours ago, Gin said:

Morrisons check outs in comparison appear totally lethargic zzzzzzzzz

My number one hate at any supermarket's checkout is the operator who is having a good old conversation with the customer and so scanning stuff as slowly as possible to maximise the yapping. 

Second worst is the one who licks their fingers to give you a carrier bag or cash. 

Since Morrisons has been mentioned, went there lsst weekend with high hopes they were competitive with Aldi.  Er no.  Got so bad we had to put everything back.  The staples like water and milk were almost 50% more expensive, although TBF their water was from a tap in YORKSHIRE! 

Aldi are being very restrained.  Trust me, they certainly wouldn't be in Germany.  Things have been designed for the produce to be put back in the trolley and then packed at the benches (after paying) where you can also leave any packaging.  You can imagine how upset a German must get when people don't follow the design, aka "the rules".  I wonder if this is Aldi UKs dirty little secret from HQ.  We compromise and scoop everthing into an Ikea bag.  Did the same in Germany but with staff frowns and checks that the bag was empty (being identified as mavericks (very bad) and/or thieving foreigners (quite bad))!

3 hours ago, Funn3r said:

My number one hate at any supermarket's checkout is the operator who is having a good old conversation with the customer and so scanning stuff as slowly as possible to maximise the yapping. 

Second worst is the one who licks their fingers to give you a carrier bag or cash. 

Try Iceland. I swear my local one are on pain if death if they don't scan as quickly as possible, no matter how much the customer is struggling to keep up or even if the previous customer is still packing. They practically throw the stuff at you!

Of course, it pisses me off, and so I slow down and refuse to pay until it's all packed. 

UnconventionalWisdom
3 hours ago, Harley said:

Did the same in Germany but with staff frowns and checks that the bag was empty (being identified as mavericks (very bad) and/or thieving foreigners (quite bad

I lived in German with my then girlfriend's family. They would have everything searched too despite them shopping there every week for the past 3-4 decades so I doubt it's because you are foreign. I never understood why they were so paranoid and why everyone was so happy to be searched. 

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Strange choice of name.

Jack Shit?

Probably been chosen by one of Alan Sugars ex-apprentices, the pride of Britain's entrepreneur class.

887573431_Screenshot-2018-11-7maxresdefaultjpg(JPEGImage1280720pixels).png.c2a7889e469190d29628bc3d55d7f276.png

On 07/11/2018 at 21:40, The Idiocrat said:

Try Iceland. I swear my local one are on pain if death if they don't scan as quickly as possible, no matter how much the customer is struggling to keep up or even if the previous customer is still packing. They practically throw the stuff at you!

Of course, it pisses me off, and so I slow down and refuse to pay until it's all packed. 

On 07/11/2018 at 21:40, The Idiocrat said:

No doubt you piss the check out assistant off too.. who are timed and watched and clocked to death....the sytem is like that to keep prices down. If you want lethargy go to Morrisons.:Old:

35 minutes ago, Gin said:

No doubt you piss the check out assistant off too.. who are timed and watched and clocked to death....the sytem is like that to keep prices down. If you want lethargy go to Morrisons.:Old:

My mate works at Morrisons. They are also expected to scan stuff at a certain rate. 

Archived