• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
dgul

Cassandras of the crash

6 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Would like to..  unfortunately there seems to be an error loading the media (not your link).

Ha!  Same with me!  

Perhaps someone heard it and made a phone call...

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I think you might need to be signed into iPlayer to watch?  

No -- I can hear the Saving the Planet programme they've got on now -- just not the previous one.

Just now, dgul said:

No -- I can hear the Saving the Planet programme they've got on now -- just not the previous one.

Ah, ok, it worked for me, at least to the landing page but as it was the So-Called BBC, I couldn’t be bothered to listen. o.O

43 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Would like to..  unfortunately there seems to be an error loading the media (not your link).

Absolutely not picking on you Libspero but...

Gee, if only there was something out there that could rip and save iplayer programs DRM-free and without needing an iplayer account... :)

11 minutes ago, horridbloke said:

Gee, if only there was something out there that could rip and save iplayer programs DRM-free and without needing an iplayer account... :)

If only the So-Called BBC produced something, anything that was worth the effort.

21 minutes ago, horridbloke said:

Radio stuff?

Get iplayer great.

14 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

I heard this. Some of the commentary on the 2008 crash was OK but the predictions such as the next financial crisis being due to climate change crisis was a little too weird.

That was Steve Keen, and to be fair to him, his point was that this sort of problem was solved last time by unquestioning spending by government in wartime, and that he thinks 'the war' that'll solve the current crisis will be unquestioning spending by government to solve climate change.

I don't  believe this.  I think it'll be a response to an escalation of highly disruptive terrorism worldwide.

[but we just don't know that sort of thing.  At the moment there's enough trouble working out what'll be the trigger for the coming crisis (it definitely needs a trigger, but as time goes on the stresses become greater and the trigger can be relatively unimportant when viewed in isolation)]

Edited by dgul

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

That was Steve Keen, and to be fair to him, his point was that this sort of problem was solved last time by unquestioning spending by government in wartime, and that he thinks 'the war' that'll solve the current crisis will be unquestioning spending by government to solve climate change.

I don't  believe this.  I think it'll be a response to an escalation of highly disruptive terrorism worldwide.

[but we just don't know that sort of thing.  At the moment there's enough trouble working out what'll be the trigger for the coming crisis (it definitely needs a trigger, but as time goes on the stresses become greater and the trigger can be relatively unimportant when viewed in isolation)]

Yes - I think the "things are the same as they were only worse" idea came over well in the program.

If you fancy something similar in the mean time... 

I've not dismissing what gets said or these peoples credentials in terms of the prediction, but with most events there will be a handful of people predicting a crash at any point in time. 

Schiff is now saying the US (and by extension the rest of us) from a major recession, if not then during Trumps second term if it happens. We will see soon enough, although recession is relatively safe to predict, all out crash less so. 

IIRC most on TOS apart from a few perma-bulls were predicting the crash from mid 2006 onwards. I remember raising the topic with a 'futurologist' who worked for the company I worked for in early 2008 and he didn't seem to think it was going to matter much if it happened at all. Some crystal ball he had!

Well just to be clear I got my forecast pretty much spot on in 2007 forecasting a slow crash to around 2012 here in 2007. I even posted a thread on is Northern Rock going bust in summer 07...a google search got me excited with one hit. But it turned out to be crashmonitor on hpc. A few weeks later the same search got thousands of hits.

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/64551-prognosticator-2008/&tab=comments#comment-1534744

Actually I wasn 't looking for me but daftboy. Think he may have died too, re. the concurrent thread on mortality...a prolific poster back then.

Edited by crashmonitor