• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Graduate meet crap job, crap job meet graduate...

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

This is a great opportunity....

...for tech companies who will automate these jobs out of existence...

Not so sure it'll happen as whilst I agree with Spygirl that the job isn't the most demanding, lift glass, open beer tap, day dream and serve customer there is the bar open and close down that takes quite some time (a few hours to do properly) without the staff they'd be obliged to use an external service providers and if they charged anything like the ones who refill the soap dispensers and bog roll it'd be cost negative. Other duties are the removal of drug users and abusers so without us the venue would just become drug den, a place to shoot up and drink tinnies as we are also on the look out for cheap skates too. I reckon on a good night I make £400-450 profit for the company so doubt they'll be replacing us anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45585674

Chris Heppell, a team leader at The Post & Telegraph pub, told the So-Called BBC he and co-workers had seen the McDonald's strike and felt inspired.

The 29 year-old is on £8.65 an hour and said he paid extortionate rent and worked in a "physically and emotionally" exhausting job. A rise to £10 an hour would "give me an opportunity to pay off debts".

"We don't feel we have a voice and if we come together then collectively we will be listened to," Mr Heppell said.

Matt Rouse, 22, a kitchen worker at the Bright Helm, said: "This is only the beginning, we will keep fighting for everyone, for better wages and rights for hospitality workers across the country".

Well .... one hes not hod carrying or digging trenches. Hes taking the tops off bottles and collecting glasses.

As far a rent you might ant to talk to that friend of he TUC Gordon Cunt Brown.

Youll still struggle to pay of fthe debt as UKGOV will tax your income away.

Two, if you are 29 and working in a pub and are not happy you need to be having a rethink on your life.

I for one won't be striking (first heard of this here) and doubt many others will be either as it'll adversely affect workers tax credits. 

I'm shocked at how much some of you were earning a long time ago. All my retail jobs 10-15 yrs ago in London/Kent pay was around £8 ph and would get less now with the removal of sunday pay. First rung of senior level at my job is only around 40k and you need at least Msc + couple yrs experience for that. 

How have the tax rate limits changed with inflation - what was higher rate limit 20/30 yrs ago?

Current limit of around 45k + loss of child benefit at 50 + student loan repayments + ridiculous rent make it really hard to get anywhere.

2 minutes ago, maudit said:

I'm shocked at how much some of you were earning a long time ago. All my retail jobs 10-15 yrs ago in London/Kent pay was around £8 ph and would get less now with the removal of sunday pay. First rung of senior level at my job is only around 40k and you need at least Msc + couple yrs experience for that. 

How have the tax rate limits changed with inflation - what was higher rate limit 20/30 yrs ago?

Current limit of around 45k + loss of child benefit at 50 + student loan repayments + ridiculous rent make it really hard to get anywhere.

I’m not on good money and haven’t had a pay rise for ten years.  

There are some on here who would argued that I haven’t actually done any work for ten years so don’t exactly deserve one. 

Dont believe them. o.O 

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

When people moan about tube drivers getting £60k a year they are attacking the wrong target - everybody who was earnng £22k in 1987 shoudl now be getting £60k.  The fact that it's only them with a monopoly and a strong union shows how much the rest of us have been done over in that time.

Yep. Bob Crowe was brilliant at his job. Another Bob from the same era (of the Diamond variety) fucked us all over and left with millions. Yet it is BC who copped the media bile. Odd that.

13 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’m not on good money and haven’t had a pay rise for ten years.  

There are some on here who would argued that I haven’t actually done any work for ten years so don’t exactly deserve one. 

Dont believe them. o.O 

Yes, but you are enriched so suck it up. 

19 minutes ago, maudit said:

Yeah there really isn't that many jobs out there IMO that pay north of about 40K, and most that pay north of 50K ask for a hell of a lot i.e. you could well find yourself in a world of stress that damages your health. And then you have the government taking half of everything you earn over 45K.

My brother has a civil engineering masters and after 6 years of busting his arse as a civil engineer is on 30K.

Edited by JoeDavola

3 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

We've been over this many times.

There is no evidence showing uncontrolled mass immigration has depressed wages in any sector, apart from possibly the building industry.

If you watched more BBC News this would be very clear.

Understandable though that many have the opposite impression.

Only this week BBC News has been covering the likely impact of BREXIT across the country.

Reporting from northern Scotland, our BBC spoke to employers in the tourist industry. Running hotels, guesthouses, pubs, cafes, bars, ski-lifts, outdoor clothing stores. They complain that they struggle to fill vacancies, like before, since BREXIT vote, and a weaker pound against the Euro.

The fresh supply of EU workers has trickled, and many that had jobs here have gone home to Poland.

These employers are saddened that they are having to attract local workers to fill vacancies by offering higher wages.

Clearly these employers need to watch more BBC News !

i disagree,many carefirms run on agencys and foreighners.and the agencys are mainly staffed by foreighners.lets ignore the fact many wont work has they get to much on bennies.if carefirms paid enough evenchualy they would be fully staffed its simple economics.i admit the aspiring youth will realise care in spite of it being one of the only growth rate sectors out there ,there is little chance for progression.many do go on to become nurses ,but for most the top rank is supervisor.another one that struggles to get english involved has temps is amazon,its damed hard work but the temps aug-january are mainly foreighn if they get hard to find amazon would have no choice but offer more money...again maybe hardwork and to much in bennis scares the english off however even they would work there is enough cash on offer

5 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Nah they're just people trying to better themselves - if they weren't allowed and encouraged to come, they wouldn't be there - it's the politicians and lobbying employers that are responsible.

agreed,but like war of the worlds......but still they come

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

i disagree,many carefirms run on agencys and foreighners.and the agencys are mainly staffed by foreighners.lets ignore the fact many wont work has they get to much on bennies.if carefirms paid enough evenchualy they would be fully staffed its simple economics.i admit the aspiring youth will realise care in spite of it being one of the only growth rate sectors out there ,there is little chance for progression.many do go on to become nurses ,but for most the top rank is supervisor.another one that struggles to get english involved has temps is amazon,its damed hard work but the temps aug-january are mainly foreighn if they get hard to find amazon would have no choice but offer more money...again maybe hardwork and to much in bennis scares the english off however even they would work there is enough cash on offer

Bedrag is jesting Stokie; though I agree that sometimes it is hard to spot that.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Bedrag is jesting Stokie; though I agree that sometimes it is hard to spot that.

bugger ,only had a nap after a nightshift.i might be better at spoting the jests later tonight when im pissed up...lol.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Good for them.

As I noted on another thread RPI inflation is 287% since 1987 (i.e. something costing £1 in 1987 now costs £2.87) whilst wages have barely moved in that time.

This has been caused by globalisation and open borders providing the immigration to keep the "labour market" working well for employers but not employees.

When people moan about tube drivers getting £60k a year they are attacking the wrong target - everybody who was earnng £22k in 1987 shoudl now be getting £60k.  The fact that it's only them with a monopoly and a strong union shows how much the rest of us have been done over in that time.

My first decent job paid £40k, that would now be £114k but very similar jobs are still being advertised for £40k.

I did at least earn for a period when wages were at that level as did most of us here but for anyone starting work now or in the last ten years, especially if you've gone into graduate debt to get that £25k job:

You can never have enough Lydon.

Great post.

Down South, it used to be if you got to earn £50k, you were doing pretty well, made you middle class.

Today, I would say £50k is what the average wage should be, yet you need to be pretty well skilled to earn that and will get a lot of stress and unpaid overtime.

You need above £100k a year to get into middle class.

Maybe Bliar was right, we never had it better.

I don't see a great future for my children wrt to employment oppurtunities unless they can become Dr/accountant/dentist etc.

1 minute ago, null; said:

Great post.

Down South, it used to be if you got to earn £50k, you were doing pretty well, made you middle class.

Today, I would say £50k is what the average wage should be, yet you need to be pretty well skilled to earn that and will get a lot of stress and unpaid overtime.

I don't see a great future for my children wrt to employment oppurtunities unless they can become Dr/accountant/dentist etc.

sadly your right,im on 26-27k and has mad has it sounds that makes me above avarage wage for stoke.but i dont count that has a barometer of wealth i count what yourve got left to waste after liveing costs ...........

1 minute ago, null; said:

Great post.

I don't know about Doctors and Dentists but the £40k I was quoting was for a similar level finance job in 1994 and today.   Accountants aren't immune.

I agree with your estimates.

And Blair made sure we never had it better by opening the immigration floodgates to stop future wage rises. 

Bankers get it too, I know somebody reasonably senior at RBS who hadn't had a payrise since 2007; half the department including them has now been sacked since 2014. 

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't know about Doctors and Dentists but the £40k I was quoting was for a similar level finance job in 1994 and today.   Accountants aren't immune.

Top end of the payscale for a Solicitor with Belfast City Council is just under 43K, that's a job I always assumed paid really well.

Edited by JoeDavola

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree with your estimates.

And Blair made sure we never had it better by opening the immigration floodgates to stop future wage rises. 

Bankers get it too, I know somebody reasonably senior at RBS who hadn't had a payrise since 2007; half the department including them has now been sacked since 2014. 

I know a bank manager. Earns around £50k plus some bonuses, taking it to maybe £60k.

I was expecting it to be more like £100k plus. But these days a bank manager at branch level is not the same job it was 30 years ago. It's more of a team leader role ensuring the targets for selling crappy add on products are met.

I know some accounts who are getting close to £200k, but you need to progress to a high level within a firm to get that sort of money. I agree that finance roles are not doing great, but if you can get all the qualifactions and either start out on your own or progress within a firm you can earn big bucks. Not a job I would want to do though.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Top end of the payscale for a Solicitor with Belfast City Council is just under 43K, that's a job I always assumed paid really well.

Thinking about this, these (accounts and solicitors) are the sorts of jobs that have a huge range of salaries.