• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuey

Freshers Week and bewildered parents

Having a quiet pint in Prestons Roper Hall and the parents faces walking by are amusing, probably the first time they've been out of polite suburbs and shopping centres for 21 years..

"Oh, England's changed a bit hasn't it? "

23 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Having a quiet pint in Prestons Roper Hall and the parents faces walking by are amusing, probably the first time they've been out of polite suburbs and shopping centres for 21 years..

"Oh, England's changed a bit hasn't it? "

Is there a Muzzer Bar and a Towelhead Gymnasium as well?

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Is there a Muzzer Bar and a Towelhead Gymnasium as well?

The Dark Room is upstairs... Dunno what happens there. 

Prestons the more 'English' one, right? Blackburn being its 'diverse' cousin?

Just now, Hopeful said:

This parents going to Uni thing.

Mine visited my University once, when I graduated. I visited my parents 3 times a year. That didn't seem unusual 35 years ago.

Had a housemate whose dad drove down from Aberdeen to the midlands every friday, picked him up. Drove him back sunday afternoon. Wasnt that abnormal. University seemed a bit of a ghost town at weekends.

2 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Prestons the more 'English' one, right? Blackburn being its 'diverse' cousin?

Had a housemate whose dad drove down from Aberdeen to the midlands every friday, picked him up. Drove him back sunday afternoon. Wasnt that abnormal. University seemed a bit of a ghost town at weekends.

To be fair, I didn't go to a University in the Midlands

When I was at university the only time I went home was at the end of term but loads went home regularly at the weekend which to be honest I could never understand. I guess they could have been homesick, or something, which TBH I find a bit pathetic but perhaps it is a real thing for some people

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

When I was at university the only time I went home was at the end of term but loads went home regularly at the weekend which to be honest I could never understand. I guess they could have been homesick, or something, which TBH I find a bit pathetic but perhaps it is a real thing for some people

It was absolutely standard to stay up all term; possibly go home once if a particular reason though this was uncommon.  I didn't know anyone who went home more than this including the chap who lived twenty miles away.

Many years later I worked with someone in his thirties who was very immature; he had lived at home in his college years and it was still showing.

22 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well some of us never got to experience university as a full time student. I did mine (all my qualifications if fact) after bloody work. 

Entitled or what? 

Me too. Was actually rather good, employer paid for all of it and gave me time off to study.

24 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well some of us never got to experience university as a full time student. I did mine (all my qualifications if fact) after bloody work. 

Entitled or what? 

Not missing much, particularly if you've done plenty of drinking in the sixth form already, in retrospect,  I wouldn't have bothered going at all.

20 minutes ago, One percent said:

Entitled or what? 

Same here. It wasn’t a common thing to go to university when I was 16. My father wanted me to go but I had no idea what I would study so just got an office job. I only had two options...university or a job. Of course back then IME decent jobs were plentiful.

Later in life I wanted to study and done it in my own time. Often I thought it would have been better being at university instead of home alone studying. Overall though I don’t regret it because my studying has enhanced my life in all areas.

4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Not missing much, particularly if you've done plenty of drinking in the sixth form already, in retrospect,  I wouldn't have bothered going at all.

Didn’t do 6th form either. o.O

4 hours ago, JackieO said:

Yeah I've seen this at Manchester Uni....

Their kids want to come to the cosmopolitan edgy capital of the north. Mum and Dad from posh England thinks "good idea" lol....then when they see the uni is wedged between Ancoats, Moss Side and Rusholme their faces fall.

Every year without fail kids from nice England become prey to various categories of  low life who prowl near the curry mile.

A few are found dead in the canals every year.

The canal pusher was a fox innit

7 hours ago, Hopeful said:

This parents going to Uni thing.

Mine visited my University once, when I graduated. I visited my parents 3 times a year. That didn't seem unusual 35 years ago.

I got driven to London at the start of my first year and picked up once at some point in the middle. The rest of the time I took the bus. My dad grew up in Manchester and warned me off it when I was applying to courses.

3 hours ago, SNACR said:

Depends on what you studied. My time at uni transformed by life for the better. Having said that, I didn’t do media studies or some such nonsense.

7 hours ago, One percent said:

Entitled or what? 

Main plus is the sex, sport and talking drunken/drugged shit for hours, the actual studying is only an exercise in developing the capacity to persist when you don’t really want to IMO, something you can do even better after a day at work when you really really won’t want to.

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Main plus is the sex, sport and talking drunken/drugged shit for hours, the actual studying is only an exercise in developing the capacity to persist when you don’t really want to IMO, something you can do even better after a day at work when you really really won’t want to.

It has certainly helped with my post count. o.O

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

OP raises a serious point. If things are to change for the better in this country then many of the cultural Marxist sorts who support mass immigration but never get to see its effects need to be confronted with it like this... including politicians.  But how? Enforced coach tours of Tower Hamlets at gunpoint?

I would have thought it impossible to avoid in London. Even if you live in an affluent borough the chances are you'll have to travel through somewhere a bit rough in at least one direction.