• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

How popular is your name?

Every time we hear about the old names and the new, my mind turns to Alan Bennett's thoughts on the matter...

[Though I had to laugh -- 'It won't be long before Tiffany's a grandmother...'  -- she's a grandmother already, and only 35.

1900 baby boys with my full biblical name, but only 21 boys and 3 girls with the shortened version I use for everything, even some bank accounts (not sure how as its in full on my licence and passport which I've used to verify my ID).

8 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

1900 baby boys with my full biblical name, but only 21 boys and 3 girls with the shortened version I use for everything, even some bank accounts (not sure how as its in full on my licence and passport which I've used to verify my ID).

Now there's a puzzle to be solved. I immediately thought of Sam but apparently not.

Thinking cap on.

7 hours ago, dgul said:

Every time we hear about the old names and the new, my mind turns to Alan Bennett's thoughts on the matter...

[Though I had to laugh -- 'It won't be long before Tiffany's a grandmother...'  -- she's a grandmother already, and only 35.

Excellent stuff thanks, and I got name checked by Alan Bennett!

Edited by Strawberry

59 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Not a single Zog, Gandalf or Nobby.

Can anyone find a name that was used only once?

Untitled.jpg.e18a59a6ef3b802f7fe140d64e3001a7.jpg

:(

There are 0 heinrichs this year but been the odd one over the past 5 :S

I was pleasantly surprised at the relative lack of touchstones such as Chantal, Kylie, Chardonnay even in the 90s. Also, the almost vanishing rarity of names like Tameeka, Tanisha, etc even today. I was heartened to see that the most ghetto chav name I ever heard uttered, Deonte, is in single figures in total.

Edited by Panther

Seem to get a lot of Joshs when you phone call centres or come into contact with people in sales roles usually taken by younger people. Pretty sure this was a very fashionable name in the late nineties.

Edit: Just checked and both Josh and Joshua in steep decline since what looks like a 1996 peak. Josh being much steeper presumably because it's the much chavvier end, susceptible to fashion, who have that put on the birth certificate.

Edited by SNACR

There seem to have been a total of 10 babies born either on a Sunday, a Tuesday or a Wednesday

But none born on Monday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday

And babies seem to also be born in the months of April, May, June, August and October

But not in the other 7 months

Edited by Hopeful

17 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Seem to get a lot of Joshs when you phone call centres or come into contact with people in sales roles usually taken by younger people. Pretty sure this was a very fashionable name in the late nineties.

Edit: Just checked and both Josh and Joshua in steep decline since what looks like a 1996 peak. Josh being much steeper presumably because it's the much chavvier end, susceptible to fashion, who have that put on the birth certificate.

It would appear an awful lot of traditional 'English' names had their peak at 1996 and have been in decline since, the only one I've found that does swing back up is David. Wonder why that is?

1 hour ago, Happy Renting said:

I like traditional Biblical names.

Judas,  Jonah,  Pontius,  Barrabas,  Herod,  Beelzebub.

There were 358 baby boys called Jonah in 2017.

There were 7 baby boys called Lucifer in 2017.

Oh Id love to see all collection of bible bashing teachers handle registration of that one.

7 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

It would appear an awful lot of traditional 'English' names had their peak at 1996 and have been in decline since, the only one I've found that does swing back up is David. Wonder why that is?

Gordon

There were 6 baby boys called Gordon in 2017.

Gordon ranked 3,040 out of 6,164 names* for boys in 2017.

[Chart shows name plunging[
Edited by spygirl

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

IMO it's one of those names like Paul or Mark which are reasonably nice and neutral and tend to be cyclical because if there are lots in a few years of school then there aren't many for the next ten years and then they come back.

They don't have any particular associations or image as do, say, Tony, Clive, Barry.  As in you hear the name Clive and you get a mental image of the person but you don't get this with a Paul.

11 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Gordon

There were 6 baby boys called Gordon in 2017.

Gordon ranked 3,040 out of 6,164 names* for boys in 2017.

[Chart shows name plunging[

Just takes one song...Jeez Jimmy introduces it, not seen him for a while since BBC  have scrapped all his repeats. And youtube wont allow me to embed anything with Jimmy in either apparently.

https://youtu.be/LTKORcr1jhY

Edited by crashmonitor