• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Community fridges

The fridge accepts surplus food from Sainsbury’s, other businesses and members of the public and makes it available to the wider community.

Great, I must be part of "the wider community", where are my free pork pies then? :)

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Great, I must be part of "the wider community", where are my free pork pies then? :)

There's one in the library near us. I've had some bits of stuff from it. 
I watched one old bloke fill his bag up the other day with assorted veg and potatoes and bread. Saves it going to landfill.

21 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

. Saves it going to landfill.

Exactly, I'd rather someone uses it whether they are the "deserving poor" or not than it go to waste.

23 minutes ago, jm51 said:

I heard of a student with a shared fridge that stopped his milk getting nicked by putting green food dye in it.

Ok if you’re colour blind, not sure I could bring myself to pour green milk on my cornflakes though! I solved the problem by buying a second hand hotel mini-bar fridge and sticking it in my room. 

On 22/09/2018 at 18:35, 201p said:

So food banks are technically increasing in number with these additional facilities. 

use_of_trussell_trust_food_banks.png

Pretty sure that before 2012 social services were not allowed (or instructed not to) refer people to food banks. 

Hence their ram up from that point on, as you say offer people free stuff and they are going to take it. It's nothing to do with an increase in need and everything to do with an increase in access and availability.

2 hours ago, jm51 said:

I heard of a student with a shared fridge that stopped his milk getting nicked by putting green food dye in it.

There used to be a student who put a label on his fridge reading 'I lick my cheese', according to a book of that title. 

35 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

There used to be a student who put a label on his fridge reading 'I lick my cheese', according to a book of that title. 

As per Billy Connolly - he put a sign by his beer 'i've spat in this pint' as he went to the toilet. On returning, another sign 'so have I'

On 22/09/2018 at 19:58, Dipsy said:

Exactly, I'd rather someone uses it whether they are the "deserving poor" or not than it go to waste.

That's  assuming they use it all and don't  just chuck the majority of it.

On 22/09/2018 at 17:12, sarahbell said:

It's also a way for supermarkets to avoid marking down food items, because they know that people will wait until the items are cheap rather than buy them at full price. So they can avoid this while virtue signalling about 'corporate social responsibility' etc. 

Defra press release
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/action-to-reduce-food-waste-announced
The scheme will be supported by £15 million of additional funding which has been allocated to tackle food waste.

http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/uk-food-redistribution-increase

Subject to contract, the eight charities receiving grants will demonstrate what can be achieved, encouraging others to follow suit in the future - with the C2025 Redistribution Working Group helping share best practice. They include:

1. Action Homeless 
  2. His Church 
  3. FareShare 
  4. FareShare Yorkshire 
  5. Feedback Global 
  6. Food in Community 
  7. Nuneaton & Bedworth Healthy Living Network 
  8. REfUSE Durham 

On 24 September 2018 at 16:25, TheBlueCat said:

Ok if you’re colour blind, not sure I could bring myself to pour green milk on my cornflakes though! I solved the problem by buying a second hand hotel mini-bar fridge and sticking it in my room. 

Did you used to charge yourself ten quid for a small mixer?

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45786012

And this is what's needed to stop the food waste. That and more use of yellow stickers.

Agree right up until the bit about sending stuff off to be processed. Anything that adds miles to the process is pointless.

I am starting to get extremely sick to death of reading comments like the top-rated one on that article:

"Great. Now if you can just remove ALL the plastic from all your products, we might get somewhere."

Do these people never stop to think about what they're typing? Food waste has a significantly higher environmental impact than packaging waste (ten times higher in fact, if not more). It allows supermarkets to preserve food for longer. Plastic packaging allows food to travel further distances, stay longer on the shelves, and ensures that large amounts of food do not go to waste. Because it takes considerably more resources to create the food itself, it often makes environmental sense to protect it for as long as possible. They'd soon be whinging if they couldn't get bananas that stored for more than 2 days or meat that doesn't last more than 3 days.

image.png

This all stems from the #vilebbc's nature programme  campaign where Attenborough filmed a shark with some plastic in its stomach. The power and influence of the So-Called BBC for all to see, it is terrifying how gullible people are.

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

This all stems from the #vilebbc's nature programme  campaign where Attenborough filmed a shark with some plastic in its stomach. The power and influence of the So-Called BBC for all to see, it is terrifying how gullible people are.

Indeed.
I suspect the oceans are more at risk because of rising temperatures but people feel easier sipping water from a recyclable cup than stopping flying across the world for a holiday.

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Indeed.
I suspect the oceans are more at risk because of rising temperatures but people feel easier sipping water from a recyclable cup than stopping flying across the world for a holiday.

I haven't had a good night's sleep since I learnt that water is constantly seeping off into space.

On 22/09/2018 at 21:25, TheBlueCat said:

The only community fridges I've ever used were the ones in my hall of residence at university. They taught me that the basic tenet of communism - to each according to his needs and from each according to his ability - meant that I got to buy food with what little cash I had and some drunk/stoned fucker with an attack of the munchies got to eat it for free with no comeback at all.

I loaded up some doughnuts with very strong laxative precisely for this reason. The culprits looking pale and sick for a couple of days were girls, one of whom I had shagged a few weeks before, so I didn't own up.