• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Smokers named and shamed....

Plymouth City Council, concerned as any council should be, with the amount of littering appoints a private company to issue littering fines.

Do they catch yobs throwing McDonalds bags down, (the small minority of) dog walkers who let their dogs go in the street and then ignore it, fly tippers?

No. 

What they do is if they see anybody smoking they hide and watch them then if they drop their cigarette butt - gotcha!  £692 fine.

FFS.  That's really going to help clean up the city isn't it?

And now the local paper is joining in with this ludicrousness by "Naming and Shaming" these evil miscreants.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/litter-fine-dodgers-plymouth-named-2032175

Glad I don't smoke or I would run the risk of being named and shamed in my local paper and never being able to set foot outside the door again.

Council idiots have been suckered there.

Lucky there's no drug problems, knife crimes or sex attacks to worry about in Plymouth.  All that stands between the city as it is now and civic perfection is eliminating those foul smokers.

Ridiculous because the litter and dog shit is being mainly ignored!

However I don’t agree with people throwing their fag butts away. There’s no excuse for any littering. I often have a roll up while outdoors sitting on a bench etc and I always have my portable ashtray with me. I have several because they’re cheap and easy to acquire. Some have clips you can attack to a bag or rucksack. They easily fit in a pocket though.

09A1E664-328C-4DF8-A0E7-1B3623D2F128.jpeg

I don't like people who drop fag butts

But an £80 fine is inappropriate.

That is 17 people and their families who are further alienated from shopping in a dying Plymouth City Centre

Meet the CEO of Kingdom Services Group who run the enforcement team, and draw your own thriving conclusions

Edited by Hopeful

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I don't like people who drop fag butts

But an £80 fine is inappropriate.

That is 17 people and their families who are further alienated from shopping in a dying Plymouth City Centre

Meet the CEO of Kingdom Services Group who run the enforcement team, and draw your own conclusions

Has he done an MBA or swallowed a buzzword dictionary?  

23 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Plymouth City Council, concerned as any council should be, with the amount of littering appoints a private company to issue littering fines.

Do they catch yobs throwing McDonalds bags down, (the small minority of) dog walkers who let their dogs go in the street and then ignore it, fly tippers?

No. 

What they do is if they see anybody smoking they hide and watch them then if they drop their cigarette butt - gotcha!  £692 fine.

FFS.  That's really going to help clean up the city isn't it?

And now the local paper is joining in with this ludicrousness by "Naming and Shaming" these evil miscreants.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/litter-fine-dodgers-plymouth-named-2032175

Glad I don't smoke or I would run the risk of being named and shamed in my local paper and never being able to set foot outside the door again.

Council idiots have been suckered there.

Lucky there's no drug problems, knife crimes or sex attacks to worry about in Plymouth.  All that stands between the city as it is now and civic perfection is eliminating those foul smokers.

Well that`happened around here and from what i can work out it`s a scam ,G$S type company rock up which work for a  percentage of the fines recovered IIRC this is from the top down as in the people on the ground issuing the fines are effectively working on piece work

Once Joe public cotton on to whats happening and stop throwing their fag buts /litter on the ground no one can earn anything then they fuck off to the next town city  

A scam i have literally seen them use and almost went to court as a witness ,is to put what looks like a new packet of cigarettes on the floor which is empty , they then hide in a doorway and wait for someone to pick it up when that person realises it`s empty they put it back on the ground where they found it ....got ya 

Edited by Long time lurking

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Dunno, but I reckon he probably designed the logo and is very proud of his achievement too  xD

I wonder if that is the second time he has worn that suit ? kinda looks like a chav wedding tie, doesn't it?

It's clever really, these companies spring up (parking companies are another) take a contract and then enforce draconian-style on soft targets to make their returns with no financial responsibilty by the Council.

Edited by Hopeful

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The people that are being targeted are those who are creating 0.01% of the letter in the city.

Why would this be; why would they target the people responsible for 0.01% of the littering and ignore the people responsible for 99.99% of it?

Because: they are very easy to catch and Kingdom make their money from this.

The other littering, the stuff that actually causes the visual impact, happens at night, thrown out if cars, or is done by thugs who the litter enforcement officers are scared to challenge.

A smoker dropping a butt is a soft target.

This is in microcosm why police sit in warm offices searching for hurty words on Twitter rather than going on foot patrols in rough areas where open drug dealing is commonplace.

In both cases: they are actually afraid of real offenders so focus upon nabbing people who won't try to stab them when arrested.

its a start, and one which is likely to have a positive impact on the town center. They have just started this scheme in my home town as well. There is no excuse for dropping a butt on the floor, or any other form of deliberate littering. I suppose we will have to see how even handed this scheme is.

52 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

A fine total of £692 would suggest that there was a large committee involved in coming to that decision ;)

36 minutes ago, One percent said:

He picks up litter ffs.

Having a grabber picker is as technical as it gets ffs.

Does one expect slang nouns to be in a newspaper these days?

Paignton man Jake *******, aged 23, dropped a fag in Princess Street on April 26

Kingdom Services Group

The company whose videos just keep giving more insight

He's reading it over her effing shoulder FFS and his hand tremor show he's as nervous as fekk to get this 'right'.

But 10/10 Andy, CEO Terry will be pleased you hit all those keywords.

Strewth, is this what the UK has descended towards?

(reminds me of the CrimeWatch intro)

Edited by Hopeful

I dunno.  I think part of the problem is that litter is so often someone else's problem.  If everyone picked up one thing while thing while walking around and then put it in the bin then the little problem would likely go away.  But, just like everything else, it's left to be the council's problem to solve, while everyone else wallows around moaning about how awful the problem is (and not actually doing anything).  Anyway, seeing that local councils are becoming more Nazi-like by the day, you can't be too surprised when they come up with 'pick on the easy targets' solutions.

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

I dunno.  I think part of the problem is that litter is so often someone else's problem.  If everyone picked up one thing while thing while walking around and then put it in the bin then the little problem would likely go away.  But, just like everything else, it's left to be the council's problem to solve, while everyone else wallows around moaning about how awful the problem is (and not actually doing anything).  Anyway, seeing that local councils are becoming more Nazi-like by the day, you can't be too surprised when they come up with 'pick on the easy targets' solutions.

Do that all the time, I never visit a beach without bringing a rucksack-full of litter home and I always litter pick in the countryside whatever I can cram in pockets or in my rucksack if I have one with me

I would never litter pick in the town - sorry, if people want to shit in their backyard they can live among it. Very rarely visit an urban area, however.

Edited by Hopeful

Tbh, anything that reduces litter has to be good IMHO.

Has anyone here actually heard of a colleague/ friend etc being fined for littering? Councils etc should really hammering people who litter with fines. Littering is a dirty habit and anyone that does it should be fined.