• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

International Hobbit Day

Amongst my favourite books, I have several copies of each - wish I could afford first editions, re-read on a regular basis during the winter (I do believe that books have seasons).

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

Raise a glass for Bilbo and Frodo.

September 22nd is their birthday for both!  :Beer:

Oi! I was going to post this earlier. You beat me to it.

I always think of them on this day too.

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

Amongst my favourite books, I have several copies of each - wish I could afford first editions, re-read on a regular basis during the winter (I do believe that books have seasons).

I'll sell you my first editions, cheap, in exchange for gold.  Dwarf-like, me.

24 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I'll sell you my first editions, cheap, in exchange for gold.  Dwarf-like, me.

Nah, I'll come and steal them from under your nose, even more dwarf like - or maybe hire a burglar to do it for me.

2 hours ago, Dipsy said:

Nah, I'll come and steal them from under your nose, even more dwarf like - or maybe hire a burglar to do it for me.

Dwarves never steal from the legal owner.  You sound more like a petty-dwarf.  

There was a new book out recently for any Tolkien obsessives.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/jrr-tolkien-fall-of-gondolin-review-latest-last-book-christopher-harper-collins-a8516571.html

I really like The LotR and also reread it and enjoyed The Hobbit though it's clearly aimed at a younger readership.

I tried one of the other books, maybe The Silmarillion, at college and found it leaden; more like an academic treatise than a novel.

The Silmarillion is something to be endured, I've read it just the once. It doesn't read like a novel, I view it more as a reference book for Tolkiens world. I suspect from the review, The Fall of Gondolin may not be an easy read either. I shall order it from the library before deciding whether to part with hard cash.

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

The Silmarillion is something to be endured, I've read it just the once. It doesn't read like a novel, I view it more as a reference book for Tolkiens world. I suspect from the review, The Fall of Gondolin may not be an easy read either. I shall order it from the library before deciding whether to part with hard cash.

I think I took the view that if I was going to spend so much time researching into the past then I would prefer it to be the real one as that would help my degree.