• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

steppensheep

Laundry Hygene

Most lifestyle programs/articles now say, we should wash our clothes at as low a temp as possible (for practical purposes, 30°C) for as long as possible, but we should weekly run the machine at >60°C to kill the bacteria, and underwear or any sick people's clothing should be washed at 60°C despite the fact that most of my underwear will probably melt at 40°C anyway,

What do you think about soaking the clean clothes in something vaguely antisceptic before drying/storing? Maybe salt, citric acid, or ecetic acid (white vinegar is very cheap in these parts).

I've tried with salt so far. Takes a while to dry, and the socks get sweaty wet when you wear them.

Edited by steppensheep

I wash all underwear, towels and sheets at 60. Every thing else at 40. Fuck what anyone else says. 

This antibac in-wash stuff is just a way to get us to buy more crap. 

I wash everything on cold, I never use heat. Modern, mass market surfactants are designed to work well at cold temperatures. Using heat achieves little purpose other than increasing the cost. I use non biological detergents.

Edited by Hopeful

16 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

Most lifestyle programs/articles now say, we should wash our clothes at as low a temp as possible (for practical purposes, 30°C) for as long as possible, but we should weekly run the machine at >60°C to kill the bacteria, and underwear or any sick people's clothing should be washed at 60°C despite the fact that most of my underwear will probably melt at 40°C anyway, 

My underwear melts while I'm still wearing it.

12 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I wash all underwear, towels and sheets at 60. Every thing else at 40. Fuck what anyone else says. 

This antibac in-wash stuff is just a way to get us to buy more crap. 

^This.

I was washing everything on 40, and was developing skin fungal infections. All that went away once I started to wash some things on 60.

Just now, steppensheep said:

What about the elastic?

Does not seem to have an impact. Whilst manufacturers will claim their product works well at 30c, I've had enough experiences of having to wash stuff twice to know that's not true in all cases. Plus with so many synthetic fibres used now you can't get sweat smells out at 30c. If you have asthma, you are recommended to wash bedding etc at 60c to kill the mites.

For a while I used those liquitabs but my washing machine and clothes started to smell quite bad - that kind of peppery mildewy smell. Switched back to washing powder and it was back to normal. 

15 minutes ago, East London Guy said:

^This.

I was washing everything on 40, and was developing skin fungal infections. All that went away once I started to wash some things on 60.

Were you using biological or nonbiological ? If you are using biological you are getting rid of the enzymes at 60C, which you may have had a reaction towards

14 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

For a while I used those liquitabs but my washing machine and clothes started to smell quite bad - that kind of peppery mildewy smell. Switched back to washing powder and it was back to normal. 

Washing powder contains bleach, liquid doesn't. I don't know why not.

I now make a point of leaving my washing machine hatch open after noticing that it was beginning to develop a bad smell which would have been bacteria and would have been swilling through my clothes.  It now totally dries out and there is no smell.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

I have absolutely no idea how anything gets washed.

I think I did mention my wife and I were old school.

This crosses with the bloody kids thread. I only do my own clothes after requests to limit the amount of washing fell on deaf ears.  Wear it for ten minutes, change, at least four times a day. I went on strike. xD

3 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Were you using biological or nonbiological ? If you are using biological you are getting rid of the enzymes at 60C, which you may have had a reaction towards

Nonbiological. I became allergic to biological around the same time as my hayfever developed so I haven't used biological washing power for years. Good theory though. 

16 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I now make a point of leaving my washing machine hatch open after noticing that it was beginning to develop a bad smell which would have been bacteria and would have been swilling through my clothes.  It now totally dries out and there is no smell.

Yes, I always do this for at least an hour. 

I always wash clothes at 40 degrees - but they are nearly always line dried in the sun and wind which helps to get rid of the nasties too. 

16 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

On 27/05/2017 at 14:53, Cunning Plan said:

Me neither.

I leave my shitty undies on the bathroom floor, and somehow they end-up neatly folded in the chest of drawers with all the piss and spunk stains gone.

I think my wife is involved somehow...

XYY

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Me neither.

I leave my shitty undies on the bathroom floor, and somehow they end-up neatly folded in the chest of drawers with all the piss and spunk stains gone.

XYY

One day, come the day of the revolution, you will find that your filthy underwear does not magically self clean.  

Are there any machines with a warm rinse function?

Cold rinse is useless.  Try adding some hot water through the detergent tray at the rinse stage and you'll see what I mean

34 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Me neither.

XYY

Its brilliant being a bloke with an old school missus, there are not many of us left

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Or old school missuses either. B|

They are trained, not born 😁

56 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Me neither.

XYY

Can't iron either. The missus bought a right handed iron and I am left handed.