• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Four weekly bin collection, Conwy, Wales

This is just silly.

It reminds me of the way the blades on disposable razors have gone from the standard one or two to a now common standard of five blades.  Who needs five FFS?

In the same way councils are trying to outdo each other in having the most rubbish strewn, vermin ridden, stinking streets.  Sorry I mean saving money on bin collection.

This being the single regular point of contact with and direct benefit from their council that most council tax payers still get. I know councils do other things that benefit specific individuals but for most of us it's having our rubbish taken away each week.

Four weeks is insane but it's only now a matter of time until it's five weeks and then six.

It is still currently weekly in Cornwall but as it's one of the last to go this it has decided to pack it in and is expected to go fortnightly next year.

I don't want much from my council for my council tax, but I do want them to take away one bin bag for the £25 a week I'm paying them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45616328

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is just silly.

It reminds me of the way the blades on disposable razors have gone from the standard one or two to a now common standard of five blades.  Who needs five FFS?

In the same way councils are trying to outdo each other in having the most rubbish strewn, vermin ridden, stinking streets.  Sorry I mean saving money on bin collection.

This being the single regular point of contact with and direct benefit from their council that most council tax payers still get. I know councils do other things that benefit specific individuals but for most of us it's having our rubbish taken away each week.

Four weeks is insane but it's only now a matter of time until it's five weeks and then six.

It is still currently weekly in Cornwall but as it's one of the last to go this it has decided to pack it in and is expected to go fortnightly next year.

I don't want much from my council for my council tax, but I do want them to take away one bin bag for the £25 a week I'm paying them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45616328

I wonder if this is also because so few people pay council tax and the ones that do are paying for the benefits other (non-payers) get via council tax. As jobs go, fewer and fewer people will be able to pay. Since councils don't get as much money from central Government they are reliant on council taxpayers. What happens when there are not enough council tax payers but too many dependent on the services council tax provides? I wonder what will happen in northern councils where there are huge populations of people who don't pay council tax because they are too poor and these groups are getting larger and larger?

We have fortnightly collections.

In the summer months the bin is riddled with maggots and smells so bad that we have to put it at the bottom of the garden.

And, still then, you can smell it from the layby at the front of the house.

The other iceberg for councils is the defined benefit pension scheme LGPS.

There has been a big decline in staff numbers at councils and Cornwall Council (my reference point because it's the one if which I know most) is cutting another 150 jobs next year.

The deficit in the individual LGPS funds is steadily growing through the combination of inflation being high (and hence the benefits / liabilities growing) and investment returns being low.  Actuaries keep making optimistic projections but they're wrong.

The only way to address this deficit is to increase current contributions but where the staff has been slashed (I estimate by over half at Cornwall through a combination of job losses and outsourcing) you are not increasing them a bit but a lot.

The actuaries continue to kick the can down the road but it is going to go pop big time very soon and then the councils will have to do something very drastic indeed.  Depending upon who is in government this may even include a massive increase in council tax to make up the huge pension shortfalls.

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's got electrolytes

9 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Just fuck off with your gloating.

:PissedOff:

I did nearly @ you but thought that would be rubbing it in.

Mine is too much; yours is just silly.

13 minutes ago, Panther said:

It's got electrolytes

Qué?

I'm not quite sure what people put in their bins. Most of my food waste gets composted, tins,bottles, card, paper etc goes in the recycling box or burnt on the fireplace. All that's left in the bin is the few bits and bobs that can't be got rid of in any other way. Most weeks I don't even bother putting the bin out because there's nothing in it, so I'm already on self-imposed fortnightly collections. 

I appreciate that families create more waste though with nappies etc, but it does show what you can do if you put your mind to it. 

3 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I'm not quite sure what people put in their bins. Most of my food waste gets composted, tins,bottles, card, paper etc goes in the recycling box or burnt on the fireplace. All that's left in the bin is the few bits and bobs that can't be got rid of in any other way. Most weeks I don't even bother putting the bin out because there's nothing in it, so I'm already on self-imposed fortnightly collections. 

I appreciate that families create more waste though with nappies etc, but it does show what you can do if you put your mind to it. 

It's the bigger families and particularly those in terraces or flats without outside space that will suffer most from this.

Personally it's rare that I put my bin out more than once a fortnight so my only inconvenience from fortnightly collections would be having to know which week is collection week.

So I could be "I'm alright Jack" about it but I don't have three kids and live in a flat and the effect of four weekly bin collections on them in a hot summer would be very unpleasant indeed.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's the bigger families and particularly those in terraces or flats without outside space that will suffer most from this.

Personally it's rare that I put my bin out more than once a fortnight so my only inconvenience from fortnightly collections would be having to know which week is collection week.

So I could be "I'm alright Jack" about it but I don't have three kids and live in a flat and the effect of four weekly bin collections on them in a hot summer would be very unpleasant indeed.

One solution could be to have fortnightly bin collections, but have some sort of dumpster or wagon going around or parked at listed places at different times so people can take their excess rubbish there and dump it in the back themselves, between collections. Since the biggest cost of collections must be labour, this would cut costs but mean people would not have to have smelly rubbish lying around. 

It does of course assume people will actually get off their ar*ses though, which might be a bit of a big ask for some. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

I lived in poorish countries in the mid 90's, where we had a 'communal bin' at the end of the road -- I'd go there with my bin bags and stop about 10 m from the bins (big 1 tonne container size) and pick up a pile of stones from the road, then throw them at the bins.  This would scare off the rats; you'd hear and see them scurrying around, then, when the commotion had died down, it would be safe to get closer to the stink and dispose of the rubbish.

Anyway, in the community there was a clear feeling that development would entail things like their rubbish being collected more frequently, getting rid of rats and other vermin, etc.  I suppose the development has instead been for the UK to move backwards towards the world mean.

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I always said EU membership mean't the UK dropping to the lowest common denominator rather than improving things for everyone in the UK.

Then they let the former Soviet block in ( and Greece).

Do you think Brexit is going to make things better or worse for the UK?

we'll know when we have the correct amount of immigrants when you see people going through the bins recycling stuff like in China/India, that should help the collection issue

council pensions just need to accept lower payouts

23 minutes ago, Game_of_Homes said:

Do you think Brexit is going to make things better or worse for the UK?

To be honest I'm past caring and all for some creative destruction which should have happened in 2007 imho.

3 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Just fuck off with your gloating.

:PissedOff:

64 a month for me,weekly bin collections no recycling and i have 2 spare bins in theory not mine a neighhbour stole them so we use them comunaly if we fill our own,it gets better only 2 people have keys to the comunial gates at the back of my terrace so i can even decide if my neighnbours bins get emptyed or brought in ,even told one neighbour whose bin had been left in side the gated bit sorry some fkers dogs been barking all day and kept me awake so i cant be arsed to put any fuckers bin out except my own,the dogs been kept in pretty much since.the keys are 25 quid each kerching for the council.

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It said food waste was collected weekly and it offered a free weekly collection service for nappies and incontinence products - to reduce the smell in residual waste bags.

Stop putting old food and nappies in your grey bin and it stops smelling. 

Meat packing is the grossest thing to go in our grey bin - a sprinkle of washing powder if it smells and it's fine. Never had maggots in the grey bin. All food waste collected every week here, don't waste as much as you have very little to throw away. 

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

or just burn everything that will burn in one of those steel garden bins,defeating the objective i know lol.

What's in people's bins? We rarely fill our grey one over three weeks. Most of it is shitty plastic that if you needed to squash down you could. 

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

What's in people's bins? We rarely fill our grey one over three weeks. Most of it is shitty plastic that if you needed to squash down you could. 

the plastic burns has well,but its a bit smelly.amazon boxes in the xs fking loads of them

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

In the same way councils are trying to outdo each other in having the most rubbish strewn, vermin ridden, stinking streets. 

I don't see a problem to be honest.

Llandudno and Conwy this Summer already had uncollected bin bags outside houses, by peoples' gates, or in their gardens.

We usually park in the streets and walk down towards Spoons or Fish Tram Chips, Chish N Fips and the beach.

The foul stench of rotting waste hung in the air, it absolutely stank. The smell only lost impact once nearing the shore, sea winds blowing away the putrid aroma of stale vomit, shit, piss, and decayed food.  

Moving to a once every four weeks for landfill destined rubbish seems fair enough.

I really doubt the smell will be any worse, or the rodent population will increase massively. 

Already many gardens and yards had bin bag piles, waiting to be collected, or abandoned, their fate cast to the wind. And in the death, As the last few corpses lay rotting on the slimy Thoroughfare, The shutters lifted in inches in Temperance Building, High on Poacher's Hill. And red, mutant, eyes gaze down on Hunger City. No more big wheels. Fleas the size of rats sucked on rats the size of cats, And ten thousand peoploids split into small tribes, Coveting the highest of the sterile skyscrapers, Like packs of dogs assaulting the glass fronts of Love-Me Avenue. Ripping and rewrapping mink and shiny silver fox, now leg-warmers. Family badge of sapphire and cracked emerald. Any day now, The year of the Diamond Dogs.

"This ain't Rock'n'Roll,
This is Genocide."
Songwriters: David Bowie

Conwy Valley could become a new Atlanta.