• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

This killer Pret Baguette

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45623831

I inow weve tlaked about deadly allegic reactions before.

Now its very sad that a another girl (alwys girls) has died:

'Mr Ednan-Laperouse told the hearing had bought the baguette as it "contained all the ingredients she loved and could eat" and the label gave "no indication or mention that sesame seeds were present".

After his daughter's death, Mr Ednan-Laperouse - the founder of Wow Toys company - said he called his own mother and asked her to visit a branch of Pret a Manger in west London to examine a similar baguette.

Finding no ingredients on the label or on the shelf, his mother made inquiries at the counter and was handed a folder of information.

"My mother looked down the list and found that the baguette dough had sesame seed inside it," his statement said.

"I was stunned that a big food company like Pret could mislabel a sandwich and this could cause my daughter to die."

Oliver Campbell QC, representing the chain, said Natasha's father "must unfortunately be mistaken" about his recollections of the packaging, because Pret food does not typically display ingredients.'

Her dads lying cunt.

I get dragged into Pret and, being a vege, I have a hard fuckign time as the none of the fucking sandwiches and wraps have any info on them.

If my kid was suffered from an a bad allegery Id be going through everything they ate. Id probably be not lettign them out.

And Id be wary about lettign them eat before bordering a plane.

Whys he suing Pret? It seems that the epipens did not work.

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Because : (choose from the following and add anything appropriate)

1. No-one can ever just be unlucky anymore, it has to be someone's fault.

2. He is a complete twunt and wants to profit from this tragic event in his own family.

3. All food suppliers should detail down to molecular level everything that is in all that they supply. 

4. The world is allergic to personal responsibility.

harsh but very true

The story is desperately sad, but oddness remains.  I only have a mid reaction to 'some stuff', yet I crawl through the labels and don't eat stuff that I can't verify as safe.  I'll go hungry rather than eat at Pret.  

[Over summer I went on hols with the family and lost a few lbs (I don't measure that accurately) purely because there's much less choice outside of the UK]

Just now, Great Guy said:

Tbh, if you're so allergic to something should you really be eating food from a "normal" shop?

With the greatest will in the world sesame seeds are a fairly normal food and you can't expect someone on minimum wage to give much of a fuck if he temporarily puts a batch of sesame seed rolls on top of a batch of non sesame seed rolls. 

Imagine being a sandwich shop manager and telling your non English speaking staff that sesame seeds can kill some people and you're not to contaminate food with sesame seeds... 

It's on the food allergy training - get yourself a certificate. Should be mandatory for all food workers.

Study the modules and pass the tests to get a continuing professional development (CPD) certificate. This training has been developed by the Agency for enforcement officers. However, it might also be of interest to food business operators, those involved in selling or producing food or anyone wanting to learn more about food allergies.

http://allergytraining.food.gov.uk/

10 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Dont get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to people with allergies, however I don't think it reasonable that sandwich shops are meant to train their staff regarding allergies or give guarantees that the food sold has no sesame seeds.

The bread should have a label on it because it contains gluten (yes people need telling that too) but sticking a known allergen into bread in addition just seems crazy, how many bread companies do that?

41 minutes ago, the gardener said:

She went into cardiac arrest on the plane.  Apparently the BA defibrilator wasn't working. CPR on it's own is unlikely to save someone, the chance of success is 3-4%. A working defib raises that to 70%+ if administered with 3 minutes.

Again, if i had a life-threatening food allergy I would not eat out. Ever. All my food would be home-prepared from known ingredients. No exceptions.

Are BA being sued too? They would seem like a better target...

I found it odd that a baguette had sesame baked into it. 

As has been said, if it were me, I'd probably take food with me rather than taking the risk. But a baguette should be fine for someone with a sesame allergy. 

49 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Are BA being sued too? They would seem like a better target...

One at a time.

Mutters about lack of suitably trained flight attendents. At least paramedic level I guess, that would be passed on in flight prices.

Plane could have diverted sooner to seek medical assistance on ground.

I visit Pret a lot, as I'm actively monitoring availability of bacon.

I concur with Great Guy. Sometimes it's difficult to order a 99p filter coffee without a translation app.

No way I would rely on their being au fait with all those modules.

Sad story all the same.

I've been working on establishing what food I am allergic to for years and I suspect I know now. Maybe I should have seen a dietician earlier.

But many things can be allergens and only common ones are noted on labelling.

That said while the result (death) is somewhat disproportionate to the offence (failure to label) if the seeds aren't obvious then it can be highly dangerous. There was no reason for the purchaser to suspect their presence until it was too late.

2 hours ago, the gardener said:

She went into cardiac arrest on the plane.  Apparently the BA defibrilator wasn't working. CPR on it's own is unlikely to save someone, the chance of success is 3-4%. A working defib raises that to 70%+ if administered with 3 minutes.

Again, if i had a life-threatening food allergy I would not eat out. Ever. All my food would be home-prepared from known ingredients. No exceptions.

Exactly this, if I had a bit of an allergy and came out in hives if I ate the wrong thing then I'd chance it here and there, but if I had a life threatening food allergy, I would always haul my own food around and never ever buy out

From the So-Called BBC article...     She should have checked....  But Pret is culpable.   Their food is not freshly handmade and it is pre-packaged.

No indication the plane diverted as if it was an emergency.

Abdoulaye-Djouma Diallo, the general manager of the branch at the time, told the inquest he was "confident and sure" he had put stickers on the tills and fridges.

However, Mr Hyam said a health officer from Hillingdon Council visited the branch in May 2017 and reported "there were no till stickers to be seen at the till area".

What are the laws on allergens in food products?

• Sesame is one of 14 allergens that consumers must be made aware of when it is used as an ingredient in food products, according to EU Regulations
  • However, the EU rules say individual member states are responsible for deciding on how information about non pre-packaged food is provided to the customer
  • The UK's Food Regulations 2014 allow freshly handmade, non pre-packaged food to not be individually labelled

Poor girl was was probably tired and flustered in the airport and made a fatal mistake: confusing a sandwich ‘description’ with an ingredient list.  With serious allergies you always need to check the full ingredient list - most chain places have an allergy book these days. You can see that Pret have learnt their lesson:

BDC44DF3-06B8-4AF4-8E6E-8D9531D0925A.jpeg

An olive, artichoke & tapernade (pesto) baguette?

a tad risque for someone with a severe food allergy?

(my money is on the artichoke though, she vomited the red sandwich filling on the plane)

This is why i always travel with a bag of peanuts in my hand luggage. 

49 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

An olive, artichoke & tapernade (pesto) baguette?

a tad risque for someone with a severe food allergy?

(my money is on the artichoke though, she vomited the red sandwich filling on the plane)

This is why i always travel with a bag of peanuts in my hand luggage

Probably enough to have an attempted murder charge levelled against you.